lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Woo hoo - excellent editing, muse!

I added a bit over 1,000 words today, but I still haven't finished this chapter. It's one of those Must Reveal A Thing Without Making It Totally Obvious To The Reader That I'm Revealing A Thing bits, so it's slow going. Best to get it right, though.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I had a great time! Weather was awesome, no mosquitoes, and I slept wonderfully!

I wrote 1190 words on Fireborn while camping yesterday. The file actually transferred properly too (I've had issues in the past with file syncing between my iPad and my puter).

Today it's the secret project!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Glad the camping was excellent, Saoirse! Well done on the writing, and enjoy the secret project.

I wrote another chapter and a half today. One more, I think, before I can get back to editing. I'll need to do some heavy revision on this section, but I don't think it'll need another full rewrite.

It's so frustrating how sometimes I need to actually write out an entire sequence before I realize the proper order of events. Surely my brain could do that before I start putting down words!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a great time! Weather was awesome, no mosquitoes, and I slept wonderfully!

I wrote 1190 words on Fireborn while camping yesterday. The file actually transferred properly too (I've had issues in the past with file syncing between my iPad and my puter).

Today it's the secret project!

Glad you had a good time camping, Saoirse, and well done on the words. Good luck with the secret project.

I wrote another chapter and a half today. One more, I think, before I can get back to editing. I'll need to do some heavy revision on this section, but I don't think it'll need another full rewrite.

It's so frustrating how sometimes I need to actually write out an entire sequence before I realize the proper order of events. Surely my brain could do that before I start putting down words!

I think our brains need to map out the entire scene in order to be able to condense it down later. Good luck with the chapter.

Slow going for me today.When I went to open Scrivener I got an error message. Ended up having to uninstall and reinstall the program. Still not sure I have it fixed, so won't shut it down tonight. Doing all that was a time suck, so hopefully will get back to editing this evening.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Sorry to hear about the Scrivener woes, muse. Here's hoping everything heals properly.

Welp, I'm going to rewrite this whole sequence again, because @#$%!!.

And I'll need to outline first, because I need this to be right.

If I can get the outline done tonight, I'm looking at probably 5 days of rewrites. I may still get this draft finished by the end of the month.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hugs on the Scrivener issue, muse.

Hugs on the possible rewrites, Liz. That is never fun.

1130 words on the secret project today. The first draft is almost done!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, secret project!

Can someone please kick me and tell me to get to work? Spouse is out of town and I'm letting the internet distract me way too much.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse - congrats on almost finishing the first draft

Liz -:poke::whip: Time to get back to the rewrite.

2 scenes edited today.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Excellent editing, muse! And thank you for the thrashing. :)

Well, I got the outline done, at least. I think it's worked out in sufficient detail, and I think it works better - there's some conflict there that had been missing before, and I think this fits the story better.

Now, to write it!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hugs on the distractions, Liz, but it looks like you have it sorted out.

muse, awesome on the edited scenes.

I have a grand total of 90 words today on Fireborn. Going for more before bed.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Liz - congrats on getting the outline done

Saoirse - yay on the words.

Nothing to report so far today. Hoping to get some work in this evening.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
One chapter rewritten. Four (?) to go.

It's like there's two things at odds with each other: making the characters react realistically, and making events move fast enough to keep the narrative from getting bogged down.

It's so much easier to analyze the narrative that you're trying to tell than to put the actual words down.

ETA: I know I'm getting to the end of this edit, because all I want to do is toss it aside and work on WIP #2 instead. :)

Last edited:

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Great work everyone.

I've been busy with renovations and house guests (which are never a good combination.) However, I've tried to continue working. It's been quite a bit slower, but I try to spend a few hours a night when I can. All things considered, I'm pretty happy with my progress. I didn't make goals, I just want to get as much done as possible.

I'm always happiest when I'm writing. I'll throw on a Wilco record, make a pot of coffee, lock myself away and write. Even when I'm miserable because I'm entrenched in the character's emotions, I'm still happy.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
So I've been steaming through Draft 2 and then this week I hit Chapter 31. And this is where I once again feel the WIP is rubbish, because this is the bit that needs a lot of work.

First, this is the chapter where I lost 500 words from the end of it because my work didn't save during one writing session, and secondly, I have a really good zombie arse-kicking scene that is being seriously compromised by lack of logic.

I think from here on in the re-write is going to get more difficult. I have to re-think my logistics on what I've got going on in this bit.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:cheers all progress:

90 words last night turned into 987 words. Going to do more in a few. I'm going to have to start figuring out how the mystery is going to work — I've been pantsing it, and I'm not clear on a few things.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, everybody! :e2cheer:

Wrote about 2,000 words today, most of which was a scene I'd originally thought would only take up a couple of paragraphs. We'll see.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Liz - Sometimes scenes end up being longer than we anticipated. I hope it works. :)

Eddyz Aquila - Welcome back!

I'm still working on writing down everything — clues, discoveries, who said what and when — and it's almost done. Then it's writingtiems.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good to hear everyone is working hard.:Clap:

I'm averaging about 1 scene a day, which isn't bad. Editing can be slow work. I'm away for the weekend. Taking my ipad with me, hoping I can get some writing done.

Happy writing weekend everyone.:banana:

Ancoelle

Registered
Reaction score
Terrible, in terms of word count. Great in terms of editing. I guess that's okay, then? :/

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Got some stellar beta feedback today, so I have mostly been Thinking. I have some ideas on how to change what I want to change, so I have to decide whether to stop what I'm currently doing and go back, or finish this revision pass and do it afterward.

Hrm....

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Welcome Ancoelle! Nice work!

muse - Hope you are getting some writing done!

Liz - Awesome about the beta feedback. Hope you can figure out how to proceed.

915 words on the nonfiction book last night. One more section and it is done!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done on Fireborn, Saoirse! :hooray:

So...I think I'm done with the rewrites and am back to editing regular chapters. It's still not quite right, but it's closer than what I had before. I'd really like to get this revision done by the end of the month, and then do a serious polish in September.