lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm ambitious! How about you?

How did July go? Did you meet your goals? Run into roadblocks? Get sidetracked by something delightful? Share and Enjoy.

What's up for August? How can we help?

Go, team! :e2cheer:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I had to go back and check what my July goals were.

Turns out I batted about .333. I finished the draft of WIP #1, yay! But I didn't really get anywhere with WIP #2, although I thought about it a lot, and occasionally visited when I was feeling lonely for my old friends.

As for being more cheerful? ...Yeah.

August I'm going to focus in WIP #1. This edit is taking longer than I thought it would - for good reasons; I think the changes are good ones - and I don't think at this stage I want to distract myself with another WIP. If all goes well, I should be able to get back to #2 sometime in September.

Of course, there was also that bit of short story I started. I have an opener and a closer. I reserve the right to write the middle at some point if the mood strikes. :)

Let's go, August! :box:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Today was Brainstorming Without Words day. Worked out some bits I had to work out, which was good; but no words, which always makes me feel antsy and incompetent.

Tomorrow: Tweak the synopsis and get moving again.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Hugs, Liz. You will get there.

I did pretty darned good in July. I wrote every single day, which I wasn't doing before b/c of the post-publishing funk I was in. I worked on three WIPs: my nonfiction book, Oubliette, and the new novel, When She Sleeps. I wrote 16k, which was amazing!

I also got laid off at the day job, so for the past few weeks I've been working on trying to find freelance jobs. Because of my crappy health and eye pain, I have decided to work from home if at all possible. Things have been scary, and tense, and crazy, but I am confident I can make this work.

Goals for August: write 100 words or more every day. Finish nonfiction book. Make significant progress on the Fireborn Rewrite. Find a steady freelance job. Everything else beyond that will be bonus.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Those sound like good goals, Saoirse. I will especially cross my fingers for you job-wise.

:hi: osg! Cheering is wonderful! :e2cheer:

Today I updated my synopsis and made a rough outline of the next section of the book. Trashed some chapters, then untrashed them, then started doing some edits, then decided I was burned out for the day and hung it up. I feel a bit more solid about where I'm going, at least, but still: UGH. This is a difficult book.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Hoping to get some of my mojo back this month. Put aside Hopeless Failure of a Historical Novel and focusing on poetry and short fiction. Wrote 300 words before a second mug of coffee this morning, then another 300 to get me off to an August start.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to get this damn thing finished and off to my agent. Good luck, everyone.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:Hug2: M Louise - sometimes doing something different is really restorative.

:hi: mccardey! Best of luck on the finishing.

I didn't get through more pages today, but I did some close edits of some of the restructured stuff, so I'll count it as progress.

And I will ignore the fact that the last 3 days (maybe more!) I've been reporting exactly the same thing.

Go, everybody! :hooray:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:cheers all progress:

Yesterday I wrote 816 words of Fireborn that I lost the day before due to a computer glitch. And also 585 words on the nonfiction book.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
What I need to remember is that if I haven't jotted anything down by 9pm, the odds against it happening soar. Busy, busy days.

Rambly inchoate poem-draft at 420 words, with a few intriguing moments.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Excellent words, Saoirse and M Louise! :hooray: :hooray:

Oh, hey, new stuff today! And I'm not entirely unhappy with it. Next step: Nuke about 15K words and write some different ones. I suspect the new text will be between 6 and 8K, so I'll be restraining the word count a bit.

And I can officially call it 123/366 pages edited. :)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what my July goal was, but I think it was to finish making the POV changes in WIP #1, which I've done - just.

I plan to spend August fixing all those niggly little bits that tripped me up when I was editing. You know, those simple 'changes' that actually turns into a major rewrite. *Shudder*

Nothing that drastic happening at the moment, but I'm not relaxing yet.

So, yeah, August...tidying up WIP #1, and maybe getting some work done on WIP #2

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done, muse! Welcome to August. :) :e2cheer:

I wrote another chapter today and merged it with the digested remains of another. I have anywhere from 2 to 5 new chapters to write until I get to the next fixed bit of the story, and they'll replace 15K words, so my word count should drop a bit.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
So in July I managed to finish the first draft of the WIP. This month I am working on draft 2. So far I've managed to edit the first 12 chapters.

Only 34 more to go...

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
One of those days. Wrote 500 words, took out 280. Spent most of the morning thinking about what I should have written. Made a chicken casserole with chorizo, carrot and fennel.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I wrote NOTHING today. I have some events that need to happen, and I'm still puzzling out order and setting.

IOW, I don't know where to start the next chapter. Maybe a good night's sleep will inspire me.

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to jump on in if you don't mind. Last month I did great, but this month I'm struggling. Right now I'm working on a novella, the second in a series. I'm aiming for it to be complete with around 25,000 words and right now I'm about 7,000 words in. My goal for this month is to write 1,000 words a day and to get this finished. I'm also working on editing my first novel, and getting the first novella out for some alpha reads. Busy busy!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:hi: Svader! We're rooting for you! :e2cheer:

Wrote a rather difficult chapter today - a few smaller bits of things that needed to happen, but needed to be knit together into a single scene. Think it works OK, but it'll need a wallop on the next pass to clean it up.

I've got maybe another 3 chapters before I meet up with the Known Bits again. Will try to get through that over the next couple of days.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Welcome Svader! Good luck with your novella.

Liz - Hugs on the difficult chapter.

M Louise - At least you're still on the positive side. The meal sounds delish.

Shara - Good luck with draft 2!

muse - I know the feeling. ;)

I've been trying to adapt to my new schedule and way of life. It's been actually kind of hard. But I do love being home, and being my own boss! I'm still working on an editing job, and it's been going kind of slow. I'm hoping to make some great progress this week so I can send it back early. I hope!

I also wrote 655 words on Fireborn yesterday. I am doing a combination of rewriting and reworking. So far it's going pretty well. :D

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
Managed a little over 1,200 words yesterday. I'm going to shoot for the same amount today. I got no sleep however so it will depend how I feel after work.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done on the words, Saoirse, and best of luck with the transition.

Great word count, Svader!

I wrote a chapter and a bit today. I have to finish that chapter and write one more, and THEN I think I can go back to normal edits for a while.

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
So far this week I'm right on track. Novella sits at about 10,000 words. Yesterday I hit 1,141, so today I'm shooting for 1,200.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done, Svader, especially on top of no sleep! I hope today went well.

Yay for newish stories, M Louise!

Scrivener tells me I wrote 4,120 new words today, and I don't know if I believe it, but I have reached the point where I'm back to editing instead of rewriting. YAY! I also shaved about 5K off the total word count - I'm currently at 110K. There's another passage later on that's going to need retooling, though, so I'm not sure how long that count will hold (or if it'll get smaller or larger).

Go, everybody! :e2cheer: