• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Descriptive Writing

Chloe007

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about Descriptive Writing:

I'm a super beginner at writing fictional stories. I'm only familiar with philosophical and ideological essays. I've spent the last 10 years writing such non-fictional essays. Thus, my brain is used/trained to think in essay format.

When writing essays about Eastern philosophy or some ideas by David Hume for example, as an essayist we don't spent six pages Describing things; such as the landscape that Lao Tzu came from, how the wind flows through tree on the mountain tops of China, or the look and demeanor of David Hume and what his hair and beard looked like [if he had hair and a beard].

Lately I've had this desire to expand my writing 'skill' into the realm of fiction, science fiction/fantasy, romance, erotica, and so on. Unfortunately, I don't read fiction. I'm from the school of thought that fiction is silly because it's "fake." The last time I read fiction was in grade school, when they made us. But despite my personal opinions of fiction, I have this inner desire to write it, or produce it.

And so, I've spent the last month buying and readying a lot of fiction books into my kindle. I must say: I do enjoy reading fiction. It's fun.

What I've noticed in these fictions books is that they're formatted very differently from essays. In general, an essay is basically a written lecture or oration. What I've noticed with fiction is that these fiction writers have very skilled and often beautiful ways to produce descriptive writings, where they can take a cup in a scene of a chapter, and sit there and describe that cup for you in a few paragraphs where that you can experience the cup, you know what I mean?

So when I noticed this, I learned my biggest weakness: I don't know how to produce descriptive writings.

I've tried in the past to write stories, but after learning about descriptive writing style, I went back to examine all of those stories I wrote and I found out that they are/were - in the most part - devoid of descriptive writings. I suddenly realized that when I wrote those old stories, I must have unconsciously assumed that my reader was either able to see what I saw in my mind, or that they would be smart enough to produce the scenery and description of things on their own.

I would like to learn to develop my descriptive writing skills. And so my question is: how did you guys learn to do it? May I ask for some pointers or advice? Perhaps a kindle book that teaches it?

Thanks!

M.C.Statz

Little fish in a big pond
Registered
Reaction score
You'll probably get much better advice than I have, but just to get started with what's helped me get better in recent weeks:

Reading fiction (hat tip to those who gave me excellent suggestions)
Writing (a lot of it is poor, I admit, but as they say about practice and omelets and stirred metaphors)
Browsing these forums

I recently read about two similar exercises I will try:
Choose a story you like, preferably short. Type it out word for word.

Choose a story you like. Read it several times, enough to have the plot and characters memorized and most details in your brain. Set it aside and try to recreate it.

The point it helps you consider the finer details of why the author made the decisions they/she/he did.

Like with learning anything, the brain rewires itself and gets better, and that only comes with repetition

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Well, you've made a good start in simply reading fiction. You need to keep doing that, lots and lots of it. And read the most in the genre you plan to write in.

While reading, notice in particular the various styles of description (is it florid and profuse? Or minimalist? Something in between?)and the function it performs. For instance, description exists not only to show the reader something; it can also indicate an important quality of the thing being described. It can be used to illuminate something about the character whose perspective is being used. Description can reveal clues, or hide them. There can be all kinds of subtleties in description, all kinds of purposes for it. And it's not just about describing objects or places or people. Description is used for emotions and experiences, too. Nor is it always visual. You can use it to describe tastes, smells, sounds, and tactile sensations.

Just to get you started in reading something that is in itself a feast of description and can how show you novel ways to use the five senses in your own descriptive writing, try A Natural History of the Senses, by Diane Ackerman.

Also, read poetry. Study the uses of metaphor and simile. Notice how they're used in the novels you read.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Everything in fiction should pull double duty. If you describe anything at all in your story, the language you choose and what you focus on should be reflective of the character pov you are in, or else relevant to theme and plot.

Just my newbie poinion.

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
Also, read poetry. Study the uses of metaphor and simile. Notice how they're used in the novels you read.

Reading poetry is a great suggestion. The uses of senses tend to be more vivid in poetry and can help stimulate your use of them in fiction. Seamus Heaney is one of my favorite poets and a great example of this.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any writing classes available near where you live? If you're just starting out, I'd think you might benefit from the guided exercises that a class would provide, and you would receive experienced feedback for your own work. I know that some community colleges offer creative writing courses, and you might be able to audit rather than take for credit (auditing being less expensive, in my experience). Another possibility is to find a seminar that you like. You might also attend a writers workshop, although unless the workshop is in your immediate area you'll have lodging expenses on top of the cost of the workshop.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say you're on the right track by reading more fiction. That is the single best way, in my opinion, to improve as a writer.

Pay attention to the different ways authors use description. You'll find that some writers use a lot of description. Other writers use very little. In between, you'll have authors set the scene with a few interesting details and then allow the reader to fill in the rest.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Well, you've made a good start in simply reading fiction. You need to keep doing that, lots and lots of it. And read the most in the genre you plan to write in.

But not exclusively in your preferred genre. Writing in various genres tends to display various strengths, any and all of which are beneficial to good narrative writing.

caw

LeftyLucy

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everything posted so far, and will add that while you're studying the use of description, pay attention to how much of it is used, and where. You can have an amazing description, but if you use it too much/too little or put it in the wrong place, it interferes with your story rather than enhancing it. For example, you mentioned paragraphs upon paragraphs describing a cup, which I'd dare to say - unless there's something truly extraordinary about this cup - would put me right to sleep, no matter who prettily it's written. Another example would be overusing description at the height of conflict, where it slows things down at the exact time you want the pace to pick up.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Read widely. Read analytically.

My rule of thumb for descriptions is focus on what the reader doesn't know. So if you're going to describe a cup, tell me the bits I hadn't already pictured on reading the word 'cup'. But that cup had better be important to the plot and/or to characterisation, or that book is going in the bin.

(David Hume didn't have a beard, but I believe he could out-consume Schopenhauer and Hegel.)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know you said earlier that you don't like to edit - but if you're writing fiction you will need to master that skill. You can't expect a reader to happily spend time going round in circles while your thought organises itself. Everyone has thoughts - the important thing is to think them through, frame them and light them before you present them.

It will help with your word-count as well.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about Descriptive Writing:

I'm a super beginner at writing fictional stories. I'm only familiar with philosophical and ideological essays. I've spent the last 10 years writing such non-fictional essays. Thus, my brain is used/trained to think in essay format.

When writing essays about Eastern philosophy or some ideas by David Hume for example, as an essayist we don't spent six pages Describing things; such as the landscape that Lao Tzu came from, how the wind flows through tree on the mountain tops of China, or the look and demeanor of David Hume and what his hair and beard looked like [if he had hair and a beard].

Lately I've had this desire to expand my writing 'skill' into the realm of fiction, science fiction/fantasy, romance, erotica, and so on. Unfortunately, I don't read fiction. I'm from the school of thought that fiction is silly because it's "fake." The last time I read fiction was in grade school, when they made us. But despite my personal opinions of fiction, I have this inner desire to write it, or produce it.

And so, I've spent the last month buying and readying a lot of fiction books into my kindle. I must say: I do enjoy reading fiction. It's fun.

What I've noticed in these fictions books is that they're formatted very differently from essays. In general, an essay is basically a written lecture or oration. What I've noticed with fiction is that these fiction writers have very skilled and often beautiful ways to produce descriptive writings, where they can take a cup in a scene of a chapter, and sit there and describe that cup for you in a few paragraphs where that you can experience the cup, you know what I mean?

So when I noticed this, I learned my biggest weakness: I don't know how to produce descriptive writings.

I've tried in the past to write stories, but after learning about descriptive writing style, I went back to examine all of those stories I wrote and I found out that they are/were - in the most part - devoid of descriptive writings. I suddenly realized that when I wrote those old stories, I must have unconsciously assumed that my reader was either able to see what I saw in my mind, or that they would be smart enough to produce the scenery and description of things on their own.

I would like to learn to develop my descriptive writing skills. And so my question is: how did you guys learn to do it? May I ask for some pointers or advice? Perhaps a kindle book that teaches it?

Thanks!

Reading is the best thing you can do -- widely, voraciously, and attentively.

Also, please do not think you need to describe every cup everyplace. Note what writers describe what, where, and try to suss out why.

As a general rule, every scene (EVERY SCENE) needs to move the plot forward. There must be a point for each scene that exists within the manuscript -- every one has a job.

Description within each scene then, should contribute in some way. It might be telling something about a character the reader should know, or laying the groundwork for something that will crop up later on, or providing some type of conflict or something. The types and lengths of descriptions and what's described differ across genres and writers.

Fantasy writers have to provide descriptions of the worlds they build. Mystery writers don't have to show readers what a street looks like, but using some description of a street can serve another purpose -- it might set the scene, like the difference between driving down a rutted, unpaved dirt road toward someone's house vs. crossing Rodeo Drive, or it can tell something about the character, if, say, he drives toward someone's house bitching about the dirt roads rednecks live on. Or, a character in a mystery might never describe the street, and just say he got a call and then showed up at a person's house, because people can intuit he got there some way and how would not have moved the plot forward.

Resist the urge to overexplain, but explain what someone needs to know, depending on what's going on, what type of book, who you are.

Chloe007

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everybody! I appreciate it. A lot of great suggestions and pointers.

I'll write a few short fiction word for word; and also try to see if I can recreate them.
Reading poetry was a good idea to. I'll do that.
I've written a few 10,000 word stories [first draft] on my Scrivener... yeah, I've learned I seriously need to edit them, many times!
I am a voracious reader. Recently I have been reading a lot of fiction novellas. I have about 100 on my kindle. Being exposed to all that fiction does help.

That's very interesting how some of you said to pay attention to how, when, and where descriptions are used, and if it relates to the plot, character pov, etc. I never thought about this. I simply assumed there was some standard procedure and standard amount each chapter or scene should have. I pay close attention to this.

I don't have a genre yet; as far as fiction goes. So I've bought a ton of fiction ebooks from every genre. To feel out which genre I like.

I'll take all your advice and pointers and begin working on them!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a genre yet; as far as fiction goes. So I've bought a ton of fiction ebooks from every genre. To feel out which genre I like.

You don't need to have a genre. Your stories probably do. Some writers succeed by inhabiting a single genre, but there are others who write in various genres. What you do need to do is learn the major elements of effective narrative, regardless of genre, and that's where the reading will really help.

caw

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What you describe must be related to the unfolding story and preferably as seen/witnessed/experienced by your chosen POV character.

Relevance to the story you are trying to convey is the only way to decide whether or not to describe something - and in what detail. There is no standard procedure -beyond the above- and only you can make these decisions.

If you don't choose what to describe and how, you are likely to end up telling the reader stuff that is totally irrelevant and probably boring to boot.

Read how others describe things, places and events and if the descriptions please you - see if you can work out why, and how they have done it.

Good luck.

That's very interesting how some of you said to pay attention to how, when, and where descriptions are used, and if it relates to the plot, character pov, etc. I never thought about this. I simply assumed there was some standard procedure and standard amount each chapter or scene should have. I pay close attention to this.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
But not exclusively in your preferred genre. Writing in various genres tends to display various strengths, any and all of which are beneficial to good narrative writing.

Agreed!

Chloe007

Registered
Reaction score
Taking a writing course near me was a good suggestion. I'll have to look for one. I initially joined this site to watch and learn from those who have written things already.

Effective Narrative: with fiction, it's one of my weaknesses. With my non-fiction essays, I've been told I'm very effective. I'll continue to read a lot of fiction to see who those authors narrate things.

Thanks Buffy. I'll practice describing things relevant to the unfolding story and pov character :)

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to descriptions, so what I try to do is keep to my minimalist ways in the early drafts but add better descriptions later.

For me, it almost always comes from a POV issue. What does my narrator notice and why? I've found that focusing on my narrator's mood and circumstance at that particular moment greatly influences what details I choose to share.

I suppose the reason more descriptions come to me in later drafts is because I know my narrator and her circumstances better.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You mention POV as being the determining issue when deciding what to describe, and I agree.

You then refer to your 'narrator's mood and circumstances and what she notices and why', so I assume you are now specifically referring to the case of writing in First person POV, because the POV character in Third Person Limited is not the narrator - the narrator is me, or you, the writer.

I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to descriptions, so what I try to do is keep to my minimalist ways in the early drafts but add better descriptions later.

For me, it almost always comes from a POV issue. What does my narrator notice and why? I've found that focusing on my narrator's mood and circumstance at that particular moment greatly influences what details I choose to share.

I suppose the reason more descriptions come to me in later drafts is because I know my narrator and her circumstances better.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
You mention POV as being the determining issue when deciding what to describe, and I agree.

You then refer to your 'narrator's mood and circumstances and what she notices and why', so I assume you are now specifically referring to the case of writing in First person POV, because the POV character in Third Person Limited is not the narrator - the narrator is me, or you, the writer.

Correct. Apologies for not making that clear.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No apology sought or necessary. Perfectly understandable slip. :Hug2:

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
Gleaning off of the insights in this thread. As a narrator, I tend to want to get out of the way and let my characters and action show the scene. But that sometimes leaves me with dry bare bones of a novel.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gleaning off of the insights in this thread. As a narrator, I tend to want to get out of the way and let my characters and action show the scene. But that sometimes leaves me with dry bare bones of a novel.

I don't understand what you mean.

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean.

I hardly describe anything. The weather, what a character looks like beyond a few features, the setting beyond naming it ("A coffee shop" does enough for me without going into what's on the walls, what it smells like, who's there). But because I rarely use descriptive language, I often find my drafts to move very quickly, from action to action, with no reprieve, as I discussed in a different thread about subplots. I end up with what I feel is a skeletal draft: there's no ebb and flow. It's a personal problem and I'm trying to overcome it to add some oomph to my novel.

I hope I clarified that well.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I hardly describe anything. The weather, what a character looks like beyond a few features, the setting beyond naming it ("A coffee shop" does enough for me without going into what's on the walls, what it smells like, who's there). But because I rarely use descriptive language, I often find my drafts to move very quickly, from action to action, with no reprieve, as I discussed in a different thread about subplots. I end up with what I feel is a skeletal draft: there's no ebb and flow. It's a personal problem and I'm trying to overcome it to add some oomph to my novel.

I hope I clarified that well.

Lack of description is probably not entirely responsible for that. It sounds like you may need to spend more time in your POV characters' heads, providing space for internal commentary and struggles. And it's also possible you may need to include more scenes that are not action-oriented, but give the characters a chance a breathe and regroup.