What are your reading habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Do you make time every day to read or do you read in spurts as time allows?

I wish I could read everyday, but no, sadly I don't read even most days. I work on freelance writing all day long and write novels all night. I can't stand to look at even more words after that. Therefore, I tend to read for hours when I happen to take a day off or go on vacation, and that's sadly all I get. When I get in a place in my life I'm not so desperate for money and every hour of the day doesn't have to be spent working, I'd like to read a lot more.

Do you have a special place reserved for reading?

Where I'm currently staying, I like to read outside in the gardens.

Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write?

No... It's hard to even determine my genre or find other books that are similar. I read whatever. The last thing I read was a science fiction about aliens communicating to humans through dreams. Before that I read a contemporary romance. Before that I think I read a slasher horror.

Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?

The only nonfiction I ever read is self-help, but rarely these days. Most of that sort of stuff can be found online, so if I'm reading, it's likely fiction.

When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?*

Not really. If I'm lost in the story I don't even think about the individual words. Sometimes a beautiful passage will stand out to me, but I sort of just take it in and move on.

bin_b0x

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, every day. My commute is long, so I have plenty of time to get several chapters in.

Either my bed if I'm up early or my seat on the bus. Noise doesn't hold much of a presence in the latter, so rarely do I need to bring along headphones or any sound-blockers.

Multiple. Whatever has an interesting cover, a strong blurb, and a 3.5+ Goodreads rating will get my attention.

Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?
Just fiction. I do lots of research, but you'll never catch me going start-to-finish on an economics book or a celebrity autobiography.

When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?
Inspirations, I note. Inventive writing, no. I just add them to the cranial broth and let them braise. Worked for me so far.

JoyceAernouts

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smalltownjoyce.wordpress.com
Once I'm hooked I just have to finish it. No matter that it is 2am and I need to go to school/work in a few hours. I can pretty much read anywhere/anytime, as long as the language I'm reading is not being spoken around me.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading some interesting posts in various threads around the forum and those responses spurred a certain curiosity about reading habits.

• Do you make time every day to read or do you read in spurts as time allows?
    I tend to read in spurts and when I'm in a spurt I MAKE the time to read because it's usually a novel I can't put down. Sometimes I'll take a break from reading but not long, I almost always have at least one book on the go.
  • Do you have a special place reserved for reading?
    No, I can read anywhere, I take my book when I'm meeting someone for lunch and while I wait I'll read a page or two, I prefer to read out on my deck with a cup of coffee, or at camp with my chair in the lake. Sometimes bed is my fave place. I love to read anywhere.
  • Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write?
    Not at all. I love a good horror by King(maybe I'll attempt a horror novel someday) I usually find an author that hits me and read everything I can. However I do read more women authors than men.
  • Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?
    I've read a tonne of non-fiction crime novels but they really take a toll so I stopped reading them. I would say 90% is fiction and 10% non-fiction.
  • When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?*
    Oh definitely, but I never mark up my books, plus most of my books are from the library.
*While I certainly wouldn't "lift" the following phrase, discovering it did prompt me to make a list of cliches to see if I could subvert or create a fresh take on them. That was an exercise which I'm likely to continue because it challenged my language skills as well as my creativity. The original phrase (and we're all familiar with it): "where angels fear to tread". In Zen in The Art of Writing, Ray Bradbury rendered it: "So, many of us plunge forward where angels leave no dustprint."

I also find the time of year changes what I read.

Last edited:

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I don't have a particular reading place, aside from at home. I'm far too socially anxious and self-aware to be able to read (or write) while in public.

It takes a certain amount of focus for me to get into a book, and I don't want to have to put a book down after, say, half an hour, and then start all over again with the getting into focus thing, so when I read, I aim to get through as much of the book as I can before having to put it down. This means that I don't typically read very dense literature, which is unfortunate, or longer works such as fantasy tends to be. And since I don't often have 3-4 hours to spare all at once, I will typically go weeks between books. I know it's time when my creative morale is starting to flag. :tongue

This also means that I have to read fast. I feel like I miss a lot of the detail oriented, sentence-level stuff (and therefore don't make any notes of it) because of that, but since becoming a writer, I've been focusing a lot on the bigger picture craft skills, which I can still absorb even in quick readings. Often I'll finish a book and reflect back on the plot, character development, etc., for days, weeks, months, depending on how complex it was or if I thought it was particularly amazingly done.

I do feel like I have learned a lot about that bigger picture stuff, but also that my writing might (it's hard to be objective) suffer more than I want on a sentence structure level, as a result of that.

Since what I'm writing falls somewhere in the Mystery/Thriller/Suspense category, I've been making a point of reading a lot of that. I also enjoy the romance category as a comfort food/forbidden object sort of thing. I don't read enough from other genres or categories, I suspect, though I have vague "later" plans to fix that. I think it's perfectly acceptable to read mostly from one's favorite genre or category, but I personally value being well-read. I wonder if I shouldn't try and work more short stories into my to-read list as that might enable me to read more slowly and for shorter times, while not being left hanging.

Somehow beta reading falls into entirely different sets of rules. I can do that in little bits of time, and just about anywhere, if I can access it. It uses an entirely different brain-process, or something like that.

Writing is interesting and brain-stretching because I have to try and fuse both skills at once.

Last edited:

airandarkness

Registered
Reaction score
Do you make time every day to read or do you read in spurts as time allows? More in spurts, though I constantly strive to read everyday. I always feel like I should at least read a little bit before I go to bed, or during my breaks at work, but sometimes I get distracted by other things. Also, as much as I love reading, I often find it difficult to start a new book (even books I end up liking a lot usually take me a while to get into), so it's easy for me to let days go by between books.
Do you have a special place reserved for reading? Not really, I'll read anywhere. If I'm reading an ebook, I'll read at the gym on the elliptical. At home, I'll read in bed or downstairs in a comfy chair.
Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write? For the most part, yes. I pretty much am only into reading something with some kind of speculative element, whether it falls into fantasy, sci-fi, horror, etc. I'm trying to get into reading mysteries more, though. I think a few other people mentioned the time of year affecting what they read, and I'm the same way. I tend to like mysteries or creepy reads in the summer, sci-fi in the winter, and urban fantasy in the fall. Doesn't mean that's all I read at those times of year, but I'll get at least one good read in within those categories.
I don't read nonfiction at all. Just doesn't really interest me. It's kind of a shame, because I do have some nonfic on my to read list, but I'll choose fiction over it every time, so I'll pretty much never get to it.
When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?* Not really, no. Definitely not when reading something for the first time. When I'm rereading, I might pay more attention to the language. Very occasionally, I'll even reread a book for just that purpose.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading some interesting posts in various threads around the forum and those responses spurred a certain curiosity about reading habits.

I don't actively make time to read but I manage to squeeze it in here and there.

No. I have a book nook with my laptop and a bookshelf but that's more for writing than reading. I read there sometimes, but I'll end up reading just about anywhere.

No. There just isn't enough prehistoric fiction in the world. I read various different genres, and also children's (upper primary age... forgot the American term for that age group) and young adult. If it's a good story, I'll read it. I'm not that bothered about genre.

• Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?
I read loads of non-fiction. My favourite non-fiction topic is human evolution and palaeoanthropology (wait, that's also my favourite fiction topic too!) but I like various different science topics, and other random topics. Sometimes I trawl wikipedia... either I'll pick a topic I'm curious about, or I'll look something up that I heard but don't know about, and sort of get sucked into Wikipedia... you know how you click on a word and it takes you to a whole new fascinating article... I could get lost in Wikipedia. I also do a lot of my story research on Wikipedia (while trying to remember not to get sucked right in). I cross reference important things with other sources.

Brain evolution was my last Wikipedia trawl topic. In fact, I didn't finish reading about it. I got as far as worm brains. I intend to keep on reading and after that, read about the structure and function of all the different bits of the human brain. After I've got an overview of generalised mammalian brains human brain structure won't seem so complicated.

So yeah. Non fiction.

The idea of confining my non-fiction reading to stuff I need to read for work is like... I dunno.... resolving to eat nothing but cardboard? My place of work has an 80+ page document about payslips. Turgid manuals about documents like bank statements and other kinds of documents. Yep, detailed documents about documents.

• When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?*
No. I read for enjoyment and finding out stuff more than for developing my writing. I believe that exposure to good writing influences your writing in a good way, but that it's more subconscious. It filters through, but I don't make a conscious effort to highlight stuff or make notes.

Those turgid work manuals though... my copies are highlighted so much they're actually pretty. I have various different coloured highlighters and biros at work so when I highlight stuff or make notes of stuff I need to remember, which is a lot of different bits of turgid manuals, they're very colourful.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com

I always start out intending to read every day, but usually end up reading in giant chunks--I can easily read most books in a single day on a weekend. But I might do this only every few months or so depending on what else I have going on.

Not generally, I'll read anywhere.

Primarily I do read speculative fiction with a heavy bias toward fantasy, but I also make an effort to read outside the genre.

Yes, both. I read nonfiction as I find interest in it, either the book, a subject, or a particular author. I do occasionally read things I think might help me professionally, though I don't specifically have a profession per se.

When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?*

I'll make note of things, but I usually don't end up going back to look at any notes I did make later.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, this is interesting. Is it terrible that I haven't read in a few months? It's really difficult to do much in the summer with kids home.

1. Do you make time every day to read or do you read in spurts as time allows?

When I'm in a reading mood, I'll read almost every evening. When I'm not in a reading mood or when it's next to impossible to read, I'll try to do it in spurts when I can.

2. Do you have a special place reserved for reading?

I like to read in my bedroom where it's relatively quiet. But I've read on the couch, in the doctor's waiting room, and at the DMV's before.

3. Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write?

I usually read solely in the genre I write, or close to it. If I'm writing a fantasy romance, I'll read fantasy with no romance. Sometimes I read for fun and just pick up any genre.

4. Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?

Only fiction.

5. When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?

I'll take mental notes on turn-off phrases, mistakes in grammar or editing, etc. Since I started writing, I cannot just pick up a book and read it without noticing those little things anymore. I stop, look at the misspelling or whatever, and cringe. Sucks. Haha!

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com

I tend to read in spurts. I don't always read books though. Sometimes I'm reading on-line articles about stuff that interests me. Sometimes, I'm reading wikipedia (going link to link) which is almost as dangerous as TV tropes. Lately, I've read everything published about a specific gaming setting becuase I'm doing media tie-in work for them. So, I'm constantly reading, albeit, not always novels/short stories.

Caveat> if I have an e-copy of the material on my Nook, I will read 30 or so minutes at night while lying in bed.

Is it a clean spot not covered by writing material, cats, or other stuff I've piled up during the day? Then it's likely to be a reading spot. I think having a specified "reading spot" would become problematic - what if someone's sitting there? What if I've piled today's laundry there before hauling it downstairs? Basically, I've always been if I can (sit/lay/lean), I can read.

• Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write? Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?

As my wife would tell you, if I'm bored, I'll read the ingredients on a room freshener bottle. I read a lot of the genres I write in (sf/fantasy/dark fantasy/action-adventure/crime) and I read tons of non-fiction (mainly pirates/medieval histories/folklore/WWII (esp. the espionage/intelligence settings)/Japanese history/books on swords (making/fighting with/collecting)). I also read a lot of gaming material and football-related stuff on-line.

I don't really divvy up my time consciously. It all depends on my mood - the crappier the day at work, the more likely I am to grab fiction for the escapist factor, but not always. I do read more non-fiction before I start a new writing project to come up with those tidbits I can drop into my story to add some gravitas to what I'm writing.

• When reading either fiction or non-fiction, do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?
Absolutely. While I don't write in books (collected comics too long to deface a book), I keep notebooks and computer files with cool names of places, rivers, people, etc. that could be used/modified for my own use. I love finding new things (like the fact that certain villages in China were using natural gas to fuel a central kitchen back in 700 B.C. or that some salt mines in Austria had generations of ponys that hauled wagons within the mine who'd never seen the sun - born, raised, died in their underground stables). Being an omniverous reader, I am also an omniverous note taker. After all, you never know when that piece of trivia may be the perfect thing for a story six years from now.

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score

I read every day.
Do you have a special place reserved for reading? No, but I do read in bed every night before sleeping (and different places in the day).
Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write? I read multiple genres. I prefer literary, contemporary, and anything Victorian or neo-Victorian, but I read anything a student gives me as well, so some YA.
Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession? I read mainly fiction, but some nonfiction. My profession involves reading some of each, but I read both for fun as well.
When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?

no.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
I read in spurts, usually when I'm traveling.

Not really.

I'm starting to check out new fiction genres, so I can't say. But I used to read primarily historical fiction.

Yep, I go back and forth. I just finished a fiction book ("And The Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini) and now I'm reading "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. After that will be a fiction book...and you get the idea.

Sort of. I tend to read for pleasure or do be informed. But when it comes to fiction, I do pick up on things that I might want to try as a writer.

Singcali

Registered
Reaction score
Before kindle. I used to carry a paperback with me everywhere I went. Can't stand waiting, so while in line or on a bus/plan ride I would always have something to read. With kindle. I'm in heaven.

Just about anywhere. In a chair, in bed, at lunch. On the threadmill, I have my audiobook on while running or going for a walk.

For the most part I do. With fantasy adventure, I try to read books from a different age as language changes with each one. I stick to reading for the language, in general. I'm not completely stuck on that though. There is a fine line between old english and something that everyone can understand without getting too many modern slang type prases. Having said that, I also read some non-fiction esp if it helps my reseach and the odd book outside my genre that does catch my eye.

It really depends on the book. Think I answered that above.

I've begun to do that esp if I love the language. Nice thing with the smart phone is being able to do that with ease.
Hmm, cliches? I have used some as inspiration but changed it to suit my storyline and age. "empty vessels make the most noise" is one that inspired me. I changed it to be something the teachers would say in my story.

Great questions.
Thanks.

Caroline J. Thibeaux

Ancoelle

Registered
Reaction score
1. As time allows. Every day is different!
2. No, but I dream about it! If I ever buy a house, I want to decorate one room to look like a room in Versailles and carve out a princess's reading nook. No joke--have had this dream for years. :p
3. I try to read all genres, but let's get real, the vast majority is YA fantasy.
4. Exclusively fiction. I read a bit of nonfiction for work every year, but all mushed together it adds up to less than a book a year.
5. I keep notes on books I read. Mostly I do this after reading, but sometimes during the process. Mostly I'll make mental notes of beautiful/interesting phraseology. Very occasionally if there's something craft-wise I want to work on I will photocopy sections out of books and mark them up with notes about good examples.

StackAttack

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an unpredictable binge-reader, just as I'm an unpredictable binge-writer. I'll read a few books in the span of a week, or two weeks, and then won't pick up a book for months. I just can't find enough time in the day to set aside for reading, especially as I read and write for a software company all day for a living.

Not at all. Needs to be comfy.

NO. And I wish I did because that would be more beneficial to my writing skills, I would think. I tend to skim best sellers lists, which don't seem to typically feature fantasy or young adult fantasy. There are a lot of thrillers or psychological suspense novels that I pick up and enjoy. I'm very picky when it comes to choosing a fantasy novel to read.

When reading for pleasure, I'm going to read fiction. The only non-fiction book-length work I've read is Stephen King's ON WRITING, which was great. Other than that, I'll read a lot of writing blogs and such.

I'm an insecure reader. I note interesting turns-of-phrases, or new takes on cliches, and then whine and moan that I would never have thought of it, or wouldn't have the creativity to do it.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
-I usually read when I'm on my way somewhere. Buses, streetcars, etc. give me a lot of relatively uninterrupted reading time

-See above.

-No, I have a few genres I love. I write horror and fantasy, but also read sci fi, mystery, comedy, and autobiographies.

-Other than autobiographies, I only read fiction. I have difficulty focusing on other stuff.

-I do a lot of my reading on my phone, so I sometimes take screenshots of cool stuff. But that's rare

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

I'm guessing 'read' applies exclusively to fiction. But I don't make time every day to read, though I probably read prose every day. Reading for me isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle.

I rarely read literary fiction (not to start a debate on this term), and stick almost exclusively to genre fiction, which is what I write (again, not to start a debate on these terms).

Again, assuming 'nonfiction' here means words composed in a book format, then no, I never read nonfiction.

I don't take notes while reading the 'fiction' as implied in these questions.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score

I'm guessing 'read' applies exclusively to fiction. But I don't make time every day to read, though I probably read prose every day. Reading for me isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle.

I rarely read literary fiction (not to start a debate on this term), and stick almost exclusively to genre fiction, which is what I write (again, not to start a debate on these terms).

Again, assuming 'nonfiction' here means words composed in a book format, then no, I never read nonfiction.

I don't take notes while reading the 'fiction' as implied in these questions.

You've roused my curiosity. Were the questions I posed so unclear as to require 'guessing' and 'assuming' with regard to each question's intent? Do you really see the reading of fiction only as the implication despite my having mentioned 'nonfiction' as well?

I am a writer who aims for clarity; so, how might I have phrased those questions to forestall the need for guessing or assuming with regard to each question's meaning?

For sixty-three years reading has been my greatest joy, but I wouldn't consider it a lifestyle. I have, however, come to view reading as an art.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score

• I no longer have any inclination to read every day; it's a lifestyle thing. Too much going on to bother. Spurts don't happen any more, either. I kind of miss reading for long periods, and I don't. These days, the reading happens while I'm on the train, if there's any room to hold up even the phone. Would this be considered spurts? Perhaps.
  • No special place reserved for reading, but a preferred spot is my bed. It's comfy.
  • When I used to have more time reading, I'd be reading primarily in the genre I write in. Now, though, it's mostly non-fiction: news, history, articles of interest.
  • Previously, it used to be 90% fiction; now it's 90% non-fiction. And the interest varies: from work-related to non-related, almost anything that sparks my interest. Could be how to write SOPs, or it could be the etymology of a certain word; but there's also bio-quantum articles and ancient history essays. Everything read is in any one of the languages I can read fluently in (mainly Chinese and English right now).
  • Marking phrases? Not so much phrases as concepts and specific words.

Chloe007

Registered
Reaction score

I have a veracious reading appetite. I read whenever I can, but I do set time aside after work and dinner to read, until bedtime. Kindle books and a Kindle app on your phone makes it so easy to read on the go. So during the day, I do read in spurts.

I like to read on my comfortable sofa. In silence. Sometimes I wear noise canceling headphones.

Yeah, I do read in the genre I write. I write mostly non-fiction essays. 99% of the books I read are non-story non-fiction such as philosophy, metaphysics, scientific journals, ideology, etc. Just stuff packed with information.

I read non-story non-fiction 99% of the time. I'm trying to teach myself how to write fiction, so I've been reading fiction stories lately. I read one fiction story per day, usually short fiction. That takes me under an hour to do. The rest of the time I'm reading my usual. I read any non-story non-fiction.

I take mental notes of interesting phrases in the non-fiction stuff I read. I especially like stumbling upon neologisms ascribed to very cool new ideas or concepts. I haven't seen much interesting terms and phrases in fiction, but I haven't read much of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.