What are your reading habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading some interesting posts in various threads around the forum and those responses spurred a certain curiosity about reading habits.

• Do you make time every day to read or do you read in spurts as time allows?
  • Do you have a special place reserved for reading?
  • Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write?
  • Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?
  • When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?*

*While I certainly wouldn't "lift" the following phrase, discovering it did prompt me to make a list of cliches to see if I could subvert or create a fresh take on them. That was an exercise which I'm likely to continue because it challenged my language skills as well as my creativity. The original phrase (and we're all familiar with it): "where angels fear to tread". In Zen in The Art of Writing, Ray Bradbury rendered it: "So, many of us plunge forward where angels leave no dustprint."

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the spurty type of reader :Jump: Mostly I like to read when the Other Half reads, because otherwise it happens that I'm browsing the internet while he's reading and then I'm interrupting him all the time with things like, "Hey, look at these cats!!!!" and stuff, you know how it is ;) I read most genres, sometimes a friend would be gushing about a book and I'd pick it up, even if it's in a genre that doesn't interest me in general. Like roooomance :e2file: I think I'm a closet romance reader :roll:
There's some nonfiction that I've utterly enjoyed. Besides, it's much easier to pick up a nonfiction book, read some, forget about it for months and then go back to it on a whim. It kinda fits neatly around everything else!Doing the same with "The Wheel of Time" didn't work very well, wooooo! I don't make lists of favourite phrases (we had to do things like that in school, ha-ha, boo!) but I do slow down if I see one in the text, to admire it :Thumbs:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading some interesting posts in various threads around the forum and those responses spurred a certain curiosity about reading habits.

• Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?
  • When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?*

I don't think I consciously make time to read, but I like to read at night (I'm not much of a TV watcher). And I also read in spurts as time allows. I usually have a book in progress on my Kindle and I carry it with me most of the time. I don't have a special place reserved for reading (what a luxury that would be!) but I do read in bed for at least 20 minutes before I go to sleep.

Although I write fantasy, I don't read a whole bunch of it. Maybe one in every ten books. I read equal amounts of fiction and nonfiction - sometimes I'll get on a binge and read a bunch of works from a single author, but generally it's pretty much half and half. I rarely read books about my profession - I'm surrounded by it at work and need a break from it during "my" time.

Every once in a while I'll make a note of a great turn of phrase, but most of the time I just read it aloud, just to hear the music of the words.

ETA: Because I'm currently working out of town and away from my family and friends, I find that I'm turning to books not just for recreation, but for company. I feel less lonely when I read.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

*While I certainly wouldn't "lift" the following phrase, discovering it did prompt me to make a list of cliches to see if I could subvert or create a fresh take on them. That was an exercise which I'm likely to continue because it challenged my language skills as well as my creativity. The original phrase (and we're all familiar with it): "where angels fear to tread". In Zen in The Art of Writing, Ray Bradbury rendered it: "So, many of us plunge forward where angels leave no dustprint."

-- I read every day on the treadmill for an hour, while running. This is something I believe only modern technology allows within a workout time. It's relaxing and I love to multi-task wherever I can. I also read at other times throughout the day...and sometimes for hours at a time...but this hour is golden.

--see above. Treadmill. As well as cottage. And in lineups, waiting rooms, bed, etc, etc, etc.

--absolutely NOT. egads. I read what I want when I want...that includes a lot of genres. As well as a lot of types of writing. I read plays ALL the time. I read poetry all the time. I do indeed read in my genre, but also in all the other genres that move me. At times, I read in genres that I don't particularly like...writer growth.

--I read both. I love a good biography. I read mostly fiction and plays, though.

--I read almost everything on my phone, on my Kindle app. It allows me to highlight magical moments I discover. Then, I can go through my NOTES and see all the parts that were my favourite at a glance.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
-- I read every day on the treadmill for an hour, while running.
How do you manage to keep reading in a straight line?? My eyes go bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy :Jump: ;)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
How do you manage to keep reading in a straight line?? My eyes go bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy :Jump: ;)
lol. No idea. My eyes go bouncy when I walk by a microwave...the time is all a'jitter. But on a treadmill, it works. A good solid hour of reading while jogging at 6.5

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Every once in a while I'll make a note of a great turn of phrase, but most of the time I just read it aloud, just to hear the music of the words.

[*]When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?*
--I read almost everything on my phone, on my Kindle app. It allows me to highlight magical moments I discover. Then, I can go through my NOTES and see all the parts that were my favourite at a glance.

Both the musicality and the magic references resonate with me wrt the phrases and cliche question. I consider taking special note of those phrases another tool for my toolbox and I so want to be able to incorporate that ability into my own writing. While my reading has always been eclectic, my writing was pretty much limited to tech- and business-related material—so fighting stilted and dry language is an on-going battle. Was back then, too. It's the reason I read and enjoy poetry more than I did when I was younger.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
  • Do you make time every day to read or do you read in spurts as time allows? I'm more of a binge reader. I'll go several days or weeks where I'm on a writing roll, so I don't read much. Then, the pendulum will shift and I'll read a lot for several days or weeks. I think my brain is letting my stories marinate in the back while I do some reading up front.
  • Do you have a special place reserved for reading? No. My favorite place to read is out back, but it depends on the weather and concentration of mosquitoes to air particles. I'll read anywhere. Although I would love to have one of those cozy window reading nooks...
  • Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write? Absolutely not! I read widely.
  • Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession? I read primarily fiction. I don't consciously divide my reading time, I pick up whatever grabs my attention at the moment. I'd guess 65% of my non-fiction reading is books on writing. The other 45% would be spiritual or a handful of memoirs.
  • When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?* Nope, at least not consciously.
  • Adding another bullet point --- My reading is pretty evenly split between paper books and my ereader.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
A lot of my reading these days takes place in the car with audio books. As such, I am "reading" for 30 minutes every morning and evening. My physical reading tends to be done more in spurts, and usually on weekends.

I have a chair in my loft that we put in specifically for reading, but more often I'm in bed or in the bathtub.

Not at all. I read very widely. Actually, I don't think I've read an Urban Fantasy since the last Dresden book came out.

I try to alternate fiction and non. The nonfiction I read almost never relates directly to my profession. I like books by people like Malcolm Gladwell, Michio Kaku, Sarah Vowell, Jon Ronson, Michael Lewis. I just finished "Born a Crime" by Trevor Noah. I can't remember the last book I read that was in any way related to my profession of data analytics.

​I think of reading as a way to make myself a better writer but I don't do it like I'm studying. I may make a mental note of something, but I never have pulled out a notebook or highlighter.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
. But on a treadmill, it works. A good solid hour of reading while jogging at 6.5

Don't know how you do that. I cannot read on a treadmill even at a walk.

I tend to read at mealtimes, if I'm alone. While on public transportation. Anytime I'm waiting somewhere. At night before bed. I used to read lots during the day, too--it was my go-to leisure activity--but first kids and then writing kind of broke that habit.

I read in my genre and out of it, too. As for non-fiction, I like reading history.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Do you make time every day to read or do you read in spurts as time allows?

I read in the morning while having a second mug of coffee, often biographies, poetry and sometimes fiction. Before I have breakfast and get to work. Then I read for another hour or two in the evenings. I don't watch much TV, so havemore time to read than many people.

Do you have a special place reserved for reading?

No, I read sitting up in bed, at the kitchen table, on a sofa next to a good reading lamp in the evenings. When I'm travelling I read in airports, on trains, in hotel lobbies and bedrooms, outside cafes, in parks. I carry a book with me anywhere I go.

Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write?

I read a great deal of poetry and literary fiction, but also historical fiction, some sci-fi, some crime, a good deal of biography and autobiography, non-fiction.

Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?

No I read non-fiction on a number of topics: nature writing, histories of war, studies in post-colonialism, scientific research, cultural identity, ecology, human rights issues, contemporary music and art. I read widely in fiction too and reread all the time. Some of this relates to work.

When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?*

Yes, I sometimes copy out lines or phrases I notice, copy and paste when reading online, highlight and jot notes down in margins of certain works I treat as workbooks. Some poems I memorise by heart so I can say them over to myself when I want to understand them better.

I choose books that I believe will inform me and perhaps transform me.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score

I think I'm more of a spurts reader. I can go weeks without reading, and then I'll spend a week doing nothing but reading.

Nope, I'll read pretty much anywhere... except the treadmill. *g* I only wish I could read while on the treadmill, it'd make the time go faster.

My preference is to read fantasy or sci-fi, but when I'm desperate, I'll read pretty much anything, including the back of cereal boxes.

I read primarily fiction (assuming we don't count reading the newspaper online, etc.). If I'm reading non-fiction, it's usually history. I don't think I've ever read a book about my former profession (retired now).

• When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?

No, I don't make notes when I'm reading. I'll stop to admire a particularly pretty or eloquent turn of phrase, but I don't write it down or mark the book. Mostly I am too caught up in the story to pay much attention to those notable turns of phrase or revised cliches. I can get so immersed in a book I'm reading that if it's winter in the story, I'll expect to look out the window and see it snowing - even if it's the middle of summer.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score

I don't make time to read but I read every day mostly, and several times a day. Reading non-fiction tends to be a bit more of a chore for me, (as opposed to fiction which is more like eating a bag of chips - what, it's gone already?) So the more 'chore-y' books, if it's really a challenge but I want the info, it goes in the toilet. ;) (I mean, I put it on the shelf in the bathroom and that's where it gets read, unless it turns out to be more interesting than I thought. Then it moves up to the comfy chair or the bed list) Then I have pure pleasure, sit in the comfy chair or in a hammock etc reading, and then I have another category, for like, novels I'm reading a second (or 7th) time, and some non-fiction, and that is before bed reading. I think that since I was 6 I have rarely passed a day in which I didn't read something.

yes & no. It just has to be comfy and 'isolated'. In practice it's my hammock in the warm weather, and my sofa in the cold.

Yes

I read non-fiction for personal interest, and it usually dovetails into my writing.

I do make note of writing I consider very effective and think a lot about what makes it effective. Sometimes I'll write to myself about what I think the writers 'strategy'/approach was in that passage.

emstar94

Registered
Reaction score

I don't tend to force it. Just whenever I feel like it. So could be one book a month or get through triple that in the same space.

On my bed, or on the deckchair in the garden, always somewhere where I can just fall in and not be distracted

YEP

Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?

Only fiction, really. Unless there's a really good reason to read non-fic.

When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?*

Not to my knowledge?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

Not really a specific time, but i usually read some before bed. I also read during break times at work (on my Kindle - never leave home without it), while waiting for appointments, etc.

Yes. A place with a book or e-book. That's my main criteria. Physical location varies.

I tend towards F/SF, which is what i write, but cast a wider reading net. Never know what shiny fish I'll find, for writing or otherwise.

I read both. I don't make a conscious effort to valance or meet a quota or stick to a pattern or ratio. I'm an opportunistic reader, and pick up whatever looks intriguing.
  • When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?

No. Sometimes I mean to, but I'm just too lazy and disorganized to take notes beyond an educational setting.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com

Both. Read a little every day but sometimes read in huge bursts.

wherever my children happen NOT to be

I didn't use to, but with limited time, I try to nowadays.

I read philosophy re nonfiction, and sometimes history textbooks. I guess i prefer them to historical fiction. Also enjoy religious texts.

Love nothing better than a well done cliche.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’m a constant reader. Every day, while my eyes are open, I read. Maybe not while driving, when I’m watching TV, in the shower, or on a mid-morning run, but if there are written words in front of me I will read them. Because my ‘default’ is set to read, I struggle watching films with subtitles. I want to read the words first and foremost—analyze, dissect, and contemplate a deeper meaning—and will therefore miss a good bit of the visual aspects. (Though pressing ‘pause’ helps me have the best of both reading/written and visual worlds, you probably wouldn’t want to watch a movie containing subtitles with me!)​

Desk for online whatnot and occasional ebooks (and sometimes a physical copy… a daytime thing), the couch for evening reading (lamp nearby), a favorite armchair near a sunny window for an alternate daytime reading spot (print only), the kitchen table for squinty-eyed morning coffee and newspaper reading. And in bed, of course, which is a love-hate relationship because no matter how good the read may be, sleep is coming and words soon blur to nonexistence.​

N/A! It would be easier to list what I’d rather not read: manuals/instructions, advertisements, and parking tickets.

I read oodles of fiction. I read oodles of nonfiction. There is no time-divvying appropriation between the two. Nonfiction reading is typically related to: research; curiosity; news/current events (though some news seems to have many fictional elements these days!); I have a massive girlie-boner for National Geographic magazine and old cookbooks (such as, Cooking For American Homemakers, with an original copyright date of 1950—the narrative mindset is incredible, historically speaking, and yet it’s still a wealth of usable, invaluable information); science, biology, and cosmology & astronomy texts/novels (I’m currently reading A Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking); and those damn manuals and instructions that are written in such a way that makes me want to light my hair on fire. With fiction, I’m more likely to divvy up my reading time between: 1) the trending/popular/word-of-mouth/you-must-read-this novel (many of which were mentioned here); and, 2) debut novels—&/or seconds, sequels, and series—from authors just starting out and in need of a helping hand of support (many of which I’ve stumbled upon here at AW!)

When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?
Notes? Most definitely! In fact, you’d never want to borrow a book from me. Sticky notes everywhere. And yes, I’ll even write in the page margins—but lightly, and in pencil, with the intention to erase at some future point in time. (Can’t help it, I read published works in the same manner I beta read.) Concerning 'interesting turns-of-phrase' and 'new takes on clichés': I adore a clever redefining of the tried-and-true words, phrases, and clichés. I keep a Word document of anything (words and phrases) that particularly intrigues me. Spit and polish, redefine, and reinvent the (‘ancient’) rhetoric!

Jeff Bond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffbondbooks.com
  • Do you make time every day to read or do you read in spurts as time allows? I'm the primary caregiver for 5- and 7-year-old daughters so don't get nearly enough time to write (let alone read), but I do have a dedicated 45 minutes each morning for audiobooks as I'm walking the dog.
  • Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write? I write upmarket thrillers, and read them when I'm referred to a good one. From there, I move both directions: into more genre stuff like Patterson, Cussler, King; and the other way to more straight lit like Franzen, Russo, Munro.
  • Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?Just fiction unless I really need to gain a certain expertise or experience for a character/setting I'm writing.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I read every night for an hour or so in bed, before going to sleep. I read pretty eclectically, both fiction and nonfiction, whatever suits my fancy at any given time. I often read two or three things at a time, alternatively. Sometimes, if I'm tired, I'll go for short stories instead of books. I detest clichés like the plague.

caw

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
I try and read before bed every night, and in the morning if I have some spare time. (I use the terms "morning" and "night" loosely, because I'm a shift worker.) I try and get some reading in every day, even if it's just a chapter or two.

My bed, the big overstuffed chair in my living room, the futon in my porch. It depends on where everyone else is and what they're doing, how much noise they're making, etc.

I try and maintain a balance so I don't feel like I'm falling behind in my genre, but I'll read anything if it's good. I've recently noticed that the vast majority of authors on my shelves are women, and that extends beyond romance and erotica (my genres).

I love a good memoir. I usually try and have one fiction and one non-fiction book going at the same time, but lately that hasn't been the case. If I'm tired and want to stay awake, I'll reach for a novel. If I don't mind drifting off, I'll opt for nonfiction, since I find it easier to stop and start at random intervals.

I'm a big fan of the Kindle's highlighter function, and I'm not opposed to dog-earing a book I know I'm going to hold onto. I don't write in the margins because it reminds me of the all the books I was forced to fill with sticky notes in high school. I just wanted to enjoy the story, dammit! Even if I don't physically mark it up, I'm always appreciative of prose that knocks my socks off or makes me laugh out loud.

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

About 80% of my reading is in audiobook form and I do that pretty much everyday. (Good to see a few other audio-readers chiming in on the thread.) So I read during my drive to and from work, when I run or work out, while doing chores, and before I go to sleep.

I also try to read (with my eyeballs) at lunchtime, but work doesn't always permit this, or doesn't permit more than a few pages. So while I do always have a physical book or an ebook that I am currently reading, it tends to take me a lot longer to get through them. Evenings and weekends are the only time I have for writing, so I tend not to spend those times reading, but occasionally I do.

No.

Well, not really. Under normal circumstances I read mostly literary / upmarket; lots of classics, lots of jags into focused selections on this or that. ("It's time I learned something about modernism" -- that sort of thing.) And lots of upmarket or literary historical fiction.

In the year since I've been working on this novel (my first), I've been reading broadly for insights into midcentury mainstream culture, which has taken me into spaces I wouldn't ordinarily venture into. I've also read a boatload of nonfiction. (See next question.)

Typically I read nonfiction occasionally. In the last year, though, I've been digging systematically into midcentury gay culture, so I have been reading both memoirs and histories of the era. I still read perhaps half a dozen (or more) novels for each nonfiction, because the novels tend to go a lot faster. (Histories are mostly not available in audio, which means they are my eyeball-books, and thus tend to take me a long time.

When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?

Absolutely. I've been known to transcribe entire passages into my notebook. With audiobooks I make liberal use of the bookmark feature and try to go back through the bookmarks when I finish the book to see what I want to write down. In one author I've been reading a lot of lately I've noticed a habit of innovating with adverbs, using almost deliberately clunky ones, and I've been so tickled by that as to maintain a list of them for my own amusement. I keep notes on the histories, as well, with varying levels of detail.

Last edited:

Aimless Lady

Head in the Clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maggieblackbird.com
  • Do you make time every day to read or do you read in spurts as time allows? Every day. I read for an hour while having lunch. I read for an hour before going to sleep.
  • Do you have a special place reserved for reading? For lunch, I like to read in my favourite chair. At night, I read in bed.
  • Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write? No.
  • Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession? Both. I read non-fiction during lunch hour and fiction at night. In non-fiction, I read whatever interests me, but I also read for research.
  • When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches? Yes.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I think I read in spurts. I could totally pick up a book and get suckered in if I wanted to, but sometimes I get distracted by all my creative projects I decide to save the book for long trips or whatever. I'm still considered a reader, right?

Nope. Likely a moving vehicle, like the bus or a long car ride. Probably because I don't need batteries. :p

I write fantasy, but I've read contemporary fiction and mysteries. I'd like to dive into science fiction and horror, but haven't gotten to it.

Only fiction.

Nah, but when finish my book and go to edit it, I may visit my favorite books and make notes. :D For some reason I can't seem to retain things when I read.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
  • I mostly read while on the trains and when I'm waiting (waiting rooms, waiting for kiddo to get out of school, etc). This is pretty much every day.

• See above.

Nope, I have eclectic reading habits.

More fiction than non, but I do read both.

Mmm, not so much new takes on cliches, but I do note (mental note, that is) and appreciate when the writing itself is lovely and/or fresh. This more than anything is what is most likely to have me look for other books by the author.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
  • [*]Do you make time every day to read or do you read in spurts as time allows?

in spurts, usually when I'm in the right headspace to just sit and read for a while

[*]Do you have a special place reserved for reading?

my vision issues mean I pretty much just read ebooks now. so I read whereever

[*]Do you read primarily or solely in the genre you write?

I read mostly within my genre just because speculative is what interests me. I also read autobiographies sometimes, though

[*]Do you read both fiction and nonfiction? How is your reading time divvied up between the two? Do you read nonfiction only as it relates to your profession?

90% fiction. 10% autobiographies. usually comicbook autobiographies

[*]When reading either fiction or nonfiction do you mark or make note of fascinating or interesting turns-of-phrase? How about new takes on cliches?*

usually I pay attention to the way ideas are used and try to steer clear of their choices in my own writing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.