The phone call -- maybe

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Probably a stupid question, but I'm nervous.

A solid agent (well known, established agency, good match, four novels coming out this year) has had my full for maybe 6 months now. A month ago she sent me an email saying she was just now getting caught up and would be reading my novel soon. Today she sent out an email saying she'd like to schedule a phone call. All wonderful, but she didn't say what the phone call would be about. Maybe I'm cautious, but I'm thinking she's on the fence for representation. Maybe she'd like to see how open I am to changes, whether we are a good match, whether I'd consider a rewrite.

Anyway, I'm not good at being clever in real time social interactions. I can find a list of questions to ask an agent offering representation, but how do I prepare for an agent who is only considering representation?

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
It could be for a few different reasons, but all of them are still rooted in the fact that she's giving you some serious consideration. It might be that she fully intended to offer representation, but wants to see how you two interact, since a person could write a wonderful book, but be a horrible person when actually interacting. Or it could be that she wants to talk about some revisions and a resubmit, but she's not sure how you receptive you'd be, and wants an actual chat to feel you out.

If you don't want to blank out on questions you might have for the agent if she's offering representation, then yeah, keep your list handy, otherwise, just be natural and see how you two actually get along. You could find that after speaking, you don't actually feel that you two click. You never know. I actually just went through this myself a few weeks ago, so I know what it feels like when an agent asks to make a phone call, but doesn't actually specify for what.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
What makes you think it's only considering representation, rather than a call to offer rep or ask for an R&R? I've never heard about an agent calling just to feel out an author. Obviously, if you and she don't mesh on the phone when she calls to offer (or ask for an R&R), either of you can say no, but if the agent is calling, they're pretty serious about your book.

I have had an R&R via phone call, so it does happen, but I think it's pretty rare compared to phone calls that are offers of rep. If it is an R&R, you can't really know what she'll ask for until she does, so just be open to considering anything she asks, and don't be afraid to get at the root of where a suggestion is coming from, and if a suggestion doesn't work for you, discuss other ways to deal with the underlying problem she's seeing.

However, unless something in her e-mail made you think there's no offer coming, I would prepare to ask the offer questions (which include some similar things to R&R, if you ask about revisions), and take anything else as it comes. Remember that you're feeling her out. Be prepared to ask questions that will let you know if she's the right fit for you.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
@ OP

I had to laugh reading reading your post. Yep. We finally get what we've been longing for and immediately jump into negative mode. You think the agent is on the fence so you must prepare. She probably isn't looking for a wonderful conversationalist. She's probably looking for a writer. She seems to think you are it. I suggest you grab your list of questions and keep them by the phone — you probably won't use them, but they will make you feel better — also keep a notepad handy, and don't get drunk before the call. You'll be just fine.

I wish you the very best.

Keep us posted.

tko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
What makes you think it's only considering representation, rather than a call to offer rep or ask for an R&R? I've never heard about an agent calling just to feel out an author. Obviously, if you and she don't mesh on the phone when she calls to offer (or ask for an R&R), either of you can say no, but if the agent is calling, they're pretty serious about your book.

Yes, I'm insecure! But in all the internet posts I've read, the agent usually gives a reason for setting up a call. By not saying what it's about, I understand she's seriously thinking about representation, but it seems like she's keeping her options open and probably has questions for me. I did find this, which is a great set of hypothetical questions that helps my nerves.

https://carlywatters.com/2015/10/05...-agents-like-to-know-about-potential-authors/

thanks!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More than 12 hours have passed! When is the phone call, tko?

tko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
More than 12 hours have passed! When is the phone call, tko?

Ha! On Thursday, 3 days after the email, her choice. Gives me a little time to calm down. I'll let you know either way.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Ha! On Thursday, 3 days after the email, her choice. Gives me a little time to calm down. I'll let you know either way.

How exciting!!

Oh, and by the way, when my (former) agent called me to offer rep, she did not say why in the email either.

Good luck!!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've certainly seen enough "I don't know if she's calling to offer or to ask for an R&R" posts (from folks similarly unwilling to commit to believing it's an offer) to know that agents often neglect to mention it. And most of the time, it is an offer, not something else.

I don't think you're 100% wrong about the feeling you out part, because part of their reason for talking instead of e-mailing is to get a sense of you, so that they can say, "Never mind," but I haven't heard of an agent backing out of an offer unless the author was wildly offensive.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Is this for Tick Tock Girl? Sounds promising! Fingers crossed for you. :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you, tko. :Sun:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tko!! Is this for Tick Tock Girl??? I have been dying for that book to find a home! Congratulations!!! Let us know how the call goes. I am so excited for you!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed! :fistpump

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And? And? What happened, tko? TKO! You ok?

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
1393241298_430112394.jpg

tko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
I have an agent!

I have an agent for The Tick Tock Girl! Or at least I will once I sign the agreement and send it back. She's going to tweet the announcement, so I think it's okay to post her name. Sandy Lu at L. Perkins Agency. I think it's a good match. She doesn't have so many clients I'll get lost in the crowd, but enough so she's experienced. And I submitted the 1st novel I ever wrote to her just when she was starting her career!

We talked for at least 20 minutes before she made the offer. So yes, I think agents sometimes don't want to mention representation in the initial email--that way there is no promises or expectations.

Thanks everyone. And special thanks to the people who remembered the novel and query--that seems like so, so long ago.

Now I gotta find something to do to let off steam:snoopy:and reach a zen place so I can do some writing.