Idea Creator Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyDavid11

Registered
Reaction score
I recently am re-reading a book on writing and used a tool they suggested that gave me a great idea for a book and I plan on using this on a regular basis from now on. Write down ten things from your recent memory that you read or saw or heard that would make a good story. It can be a news article or something you witnessed in real life or a conversation you overheard. Just anything that you can think of but you have to do ten. It was a lot of fun and like I say, the ideas pretty much poured out. Anyone else try this or something similar?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I do title jams*, which are lists, and you have to do a certain number. you can do 3, 5, 10 whatever works for you but the focus is on completing the list, and intentionally to take the focus away from your considering that the titles be *good* you are to populate the list as quickly as possible.

*the object is to create x number of titles as quickly as possible. You can restrict by genre, by short vs novel etc.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
5-10 minute freewrite: write down one memory from each year of school (1st grade, 2nd grade...). Starting from the setting is like catching an anchor in memory. I pull up lots of intriguing material that way.

emstar94

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to get inspired by weird/quirky/indie films... like if I watch a bunch of movies over the course of a month one of them will probably stick with me; a character or a story or a feeling and it'll start developing into something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.