August Challenge - Write Every Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had company yesterday and was too tired afterwards to write. But I am back. I have my coffee and the writing candle is lit so I will be back with my daily report later.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 14
I got a fair bunch of words down for a potential blog post and edited my WIP, probably around 500 new words. This is definitely helping me think about the how, why, when of my writing. It's also making me realise how little I write on an average week. So plenty of room for improvement.

2 pages, nice work Layla!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good job, Magnus! 469 words on my novel today. Total 4,812.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Nice work everyone...even when you had off days, you got right back on track!

I had an extremely busy weekend, and a long day today, and found no time at all to write.

But I didn't procrastinate by playing solitaire, re-organizing the bills on my desk, endlessly scrolling through facebook/twitter, or anything of that nature, so I'm giving myself a Just-Plain-Swamped Pass and promise to get back to work on my novel tomorrow.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 15
I think I'm onto something here, though I'm switching my goal to focus less on word count and just working on my WIP. I don't think I added a lot of words today, but I edited and revised a bunch of stuff right after breakfast. I decide what scene or problem I'll focus on in the evening, then when I start my computer, that's what I have to do first.

Good work Fruitbat and Layla.
DL - Yeah, some days you're just busy. I don't beat myself up when I've been busy doing useful or necessary things. But with my current life situation, there aren't a lot of those days for me!

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Nice work today Layla!

Magnus: Glad to hear that you are editing and revising your WIP Magnus. Great job! If you like, I'll gladly give you some of my extra responsibilities. :ROFL:Lately, I feel overworked, stressed, overextended, underappreciated, and so very tired.

However...I'm about to *Sit Butt in Chair* now, and get to work on my novel too. I'll let you all know how I make out when I check in tomorrow.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Magnus - congrats on getting to the WIP today, & DL - I agree, & sometimes it's good to take a day off! And I missed a shout out to Fruitbat up there somewhere.

I got another ~half-page in this afternoon!

btw/fyi/fwiw - I am currently working on five WIPs, one novel and four shorts. I generally find it exhausting to push myself on a story, so fairly often 3 paragraphs is - 1 para in 3 stories. And my novel is being backburnered for research, so for actual adding material to WIPs, it's just the four shorts right now.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Wow Layla, you have a lot of ideas smoldering and simmering. Nice that you can jump from story to story like that too!

Okay, so I felt inspired tonight and had a really good session--finally. I kept my butt in that chair, and after about 5 hands of solitaire...I wrote 957 words! Best session on this book to date. I was picking at it before we started this challenge too, so now I am just about at 8,000 words.

Still early on, but I hope to keep the momentum up, because in the past I've even ditched a project as far in as 50K, as well as few others that I threw in the towel much earlier.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent progress, Magnus, Layla, and DL!

I didn't write yesterday as I had to shop til I dropped with my friend haha! But I am back. I have my coffee and now have to hunt down my writing candle and I will begin. Good luck today, everyone. :)

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 16 - Wooo!
So I had a bad start to the day. I was at a birthday dinner last night and had one beer and half a glass of champagne. Nothing, right? Except with my depressive tendencies ever looming in the background, even small hits to my dopamine levels can get me out of sorts. So I did barely anything until lunch, but then I managed to pull myself together and went for a walk. I'm happy to see the habits I have been working so hard on starting to really pay off. Once I got active, I kept it up, and managed to get a bunch of stuff done, and concluded the evening on the porch, where I penned a 700-word first draft of a story I've been meaning to set off on for ages.

Well done Layla and DL. Oh, I also keep lots of different projects going. I have two novel series planned and am tentatively working on both of them. I have two longer series of short stories and a few stand-alone ones in the works. I also write flash fiction whenever something I do in a writing exercise strikes me as interesting, and sometimes I do writing challenges in different writing communities. I can't focus completely on one project, but I usually keep a 'main' one that I try to give the most attention.

Good luck everyone!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's wonderful, Magnus!

I got 110 words done today, in four hours. Um, I guess that counts. :p

Novel total- 4,922 words.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hey DL - that's a lot of words! Congratulations
& Magnus, too, way to go :)

Um, I guess that counts.

It *totally* counts.

I wrote a paragraph on one story in the morning, and then when I came back I wrote about 2/3 of a page in two other stories. (I write in pencil on 8.5 X 11 paper.)

Oh, in one of the 2/3 pages, I heavily edited the existing last paragraph, so, maybe like 1/2 a new page. Lot of dialogue, so hard to count it in paragraphs.

This thread is so great. Thanks, Magnus for starting it :)

:hooray::hi::snoopy: We're keeping on, y'all!!

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Magnus: I struggle with getting myself up and walking too...glad you managed to pull yourself out of your slump and get stuff done. And nice job with the story!

Fruitbat: It definitely works. Slow and steady seems to be working for you well! (and a day off for shopping here and there is fun too!)

Layla: Nice work! I'm loving this thread too. I may not have this *every day* thing down, but it is definitely keeping me accountable.

Now, I'm off to try to get some work done. I'm starting late, but hopefully I'll get a paragraph or two in.

ETA: I managed another 294 words last night. I think I would have been able to pump out more, but I was short on time again.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the daily progress, Layla and DL.

I'm just sitting down to it today so here goes...

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 17
An okay day. I didn't write when and how I intended, but I did transfer some stuff from my pad to a document (which always includes some revision and editing), and then I tried my hands on the next scene in the story I started yesterday. I don't think I'll be keeping much of those few hundred words, but that's how it is, some days. The stuff I wrote yesterday is definitely worth polishing!

I'm happy this thread is spurring people on! It's certainly working for me. When I initially posted it, it was only as a quick afterthought that I added that anyone else was free to join in, but I'm glad I did! If it had just been me posting at myself, I doubt I would have kept it up this well. Sure, I've missed days, but I still post on those days as it makes me think about what happened and why. I'm already seeing some positive effects. And I already have some plans of what to do with a September thread! :D

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hey DL, congratulations on those words!
& Fruitbat, hope you got a good session in,
Magnus, sounds like some good work :)

I wrote two paragraphs in the morning, & when I got back I wrote about 2 pages, this was across 3 stories.

Lets keep on keeping on!!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good job, Layla and Magnus.

95 words here. In 3 hours and 15 minutes. Gah! Well, I deleted a scene and yanno... I'm at 5,017 words total.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Good job Magnus, and Fruitbat! Every word counts...same as the editing you've all been getting done.

Layla you are really moving on those stories. Nice!

It's late again now as I'm getting started, but I'm going to try to finish at least a paragraph before I call it quits.

ETA: I managed around 250 words yesterday before calling it a night.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent, DL!

I'm getting started now. Be back in a while with my word count for the day. :)

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't checked in but I have been 'working'. Hopefully, not procrastinating by going over the plot, since I've got a rough draft, and I spent the last few days trying to fill in the holes. Started writing 'for real' today, now that Jr. is back in school and have gotten 500 words and half a scene done so far. But...I hand wrote the entire scene this morning, and now I am typing it in. My goal is 1000 words a day, so I just might make it.
Glad to see others plugging away....

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 18
I'm doing well just taking an early walk (and I'm watching a dog now so that gets easier), and then sitting down to write, either in my pad or on the computer. But I'm using my pad more to write first drafts (normally I only do notes), and I quite like it as it brings me away from the computer and its distractions. I've written two tentative scenes for my YA scifi project, and I got what I think might be a really nice first sentence for it. A few hundred words and some editing, all in all.

Well done everyone else, and welcome back to the battle, Melody!

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Good luck Fruitbat...hope you are still silent because you are still typing away.

Melody...nice work, and even nicer aspirations! Good luck!

Nice job today Magnus!

I personally don't like to write on paper--sometimes I can't even read my own handwriting--but I agree about the distractions. I finally had some free time today and I literally just wasted like two hours of it online. Poof. Gone. Just like that. But I'm about to feed my menagerie--they are all staring at me like "Get off the damn computer!"--and then I'm going to get to work on my novel.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good job today Melody and Magnus.

DL, I know so well what you mean about the online poof time suck!

475 words for me today, in 1 1/2 hours. I think my mind is finally getting with this novel. I'm getting lots of ideas and stuff now. 5,492 words total.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
DL - nice work!
Melody, welcome back :)
Congrats on the scenes Magnus
& Excellent work, Fruitbat

:hooray::snoopy::partyguy:

I didn't get in a morning session (I had to be at work at 6:00am…)

When I got back I yanked three sentences and wrote one new one in one story, and I added about 2/3 of a page to another. Small total, but -- I could be not writing at all! so I'm really glad I got this.

FWIW, Here are my WIPS -
(in the parens is my one-word name for the WIP - Teele, Ronal and Lusa are the names of MCs)

short stories
"The Boy in the Demon Mask" (Mask)
"The Last Will and Testament of Towner Purel" (Teele)
"Tell the Ferryman" (Ronal)

novels
"I Who Sleep In Stone" (Lusa)
"The Hare and the Stag" (H&S)

Status
Not open for further replies.