• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reader needed for 33k murder/mystery/romance novella

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is anyone interested and/or available to do a beta read for me? I am happy to do a swap if that works for anyone.

This is a quickly written blurb for my novella that is in no way a perfected query. It's just meant to give an overview of the story:

Title:Die Beachside (working title)
Word Count:32,805 (Scrivener)
Blurb:After starting university in a new town, Megan meets fellow student Avya, who lives in a cave on the local beach. Megan isn't sure what to make of Avya at first, but the two girls soon start to warm to each other.

One night,
Avya shares a scary secret with Megan - she feels like she's being stalked. Megan wonders if the stalker could be Jim, an unfriendly guy of few words who seems to follow Avya everywhere. Avya defends Jim, but Megan knows she can't be too careful, particularly in light of the fact that a girl was recently murdered in the area, and that murder is still unsolved.

Megan wants Avya to be more cautious, and tries to look out for her however she can. But nobody else seems to be taking things as seriously as she is. Even
campus security claim that they need 'evidence' (another dead body, maybe?) before they can do anything to help.

Megan is on high alert, watching everyone who watches Avya. She's determined to figure out who Avya's stalker is before it's too late. But can she do so without putting herself in the path of danger?

Paula Davids

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Yogurtelf,
Your blurb sounds intriguing. Have you thought of posting an extract on SYW in order to attract betas? I would be quite keen to do a swap - have three urban fantasy novelettes totalling 37K that I need to fine tune. I read a fair amount of crime.
Paula

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Paula, yes I can always post an excerpt, I'm just getting back into the swing of things here after being absent for many years (like, since 2011 ;) ) so didn't want to do a full onslaught all at once. :p

I like urban fantasy too, so would be happy to swap that.

My novella I always thought I would flesh out a bit more, but what I would be looking for from a beta is an opinion on whether that's the case or not - I read through it myself again recently and thought maybe I don't need to flesh it out after all. Anyway, I will post an excerpt and go from there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.