Commas

evangaline

Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* Once again, I've hit a punctuation brick wall:

Matt Wilson, superstudman able to bring Chelsea's gay population to their knees with a single d*ck and Matt Wilson, f*cker extraordinaire of all male creatures great and small was in a relationship.

I've been researching commas and appositives, but I'm still unsure what's correct. Do I need commas at all, should there be more, or is it okay the way it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (before I drive myself crazy)!

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Matt Wilson, superstudman able to bring Chelsea's gay population to their knees with a single d*ck and Matt Wilson, f*cker extraordinaireof all male creatures great and small was in a relationship.

I've been researching commas and appositives, but I'm still unsure what's correct. Do I need commas at all, should there be more, or is it okay the way it is?

You have an agreement problem -- that jumped out at me before any comma issue. Also, what's with the asterisks?

Matt Wilson, superstudman (this is odd all together), able to bring Chelsea's gay population to their knees with a single d*ck, and Matt Wilson, f*cker extraordinaire of all male creatures great and small, WERE in a relationship.

evangaline

Registered
Reaction score
Because this forum can be viewed by under-agers, I figured better to be safe than sorry w/the asterisks. I'm confused about the "were". Both descriptions are of one person, Matt. Granted, they are two descriptions, but it still reverts back to one person. *scratches head* Does that make any sense?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Because this forum can be viewed by under-agers, I figured better to be safe than sorry w/the asterisks. I'm confused about the "were". Both descriptions are of one person, Matt. Granted, they are two descriptions, but it still reverts back to one person. *scratches head* Does that make any sense?

No?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Definitely needs commas. I'd put an additional comma after 'dick', and it's were rather than was. Matt Wilson and Matt Wilson were in a relationship.

Re adult words, the content of what you wrote is crystal clear regardless of any asterisk, so I don't think there's any point starring out a couple letters.

evangaline

Registered
Reaction score
"...and it's were rather than was. Matt Wilson and Matt Wilson were in a relationship."

Even though both descriptions refer to one person?

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
"...and it's were rather than was. Matt Wilson and Matt Wilson were in a relationship."

Even though both descriptions refer to one person?

But there are two people in the relationship.

eta: Ah. I just spotted the issue. You're referring to the same person twice? I honestly didn't look at the names that closely, so I didn't notice the name's repeated until it was separated in the quote box.

Assuming this isn't a Will Grayson, Will Grayson situation where two characters have the same name ... yes, this should be a was, not a were. But egads is that a confusing sentence.

eta 2: Honestly, with the content you have there, you draw the line at the swear words? Really? :Shrug:

Last edited:

evangaline

Registered
Reaction score
"Honestly, with the content you have there, you draw the line at the swear words? Really?"

*sigh* I can't help it. Overly cautious to a fault. Tx for your input, btw. I'm going to try and rework the sentence so it's not confusing.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's my first reaction, that you've created a few knots in your thread when it could have been smooth.

To be honest, while I caught that it's the same Matt Wilson, I failed to see any purpose served by naming him twice, since both the references were to his studliness within the gay community. I might have bought this structure if one part of the sentence were about him being with women, the other about being with men.

So yeah, rework it and let us know how it comes out.

Maryn, who'll lend you her beeswax*

* Beeswax is used to prevent thread from tangling during hand sewing

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, by all means, rework that sentence, maybe into two sentences. It's an example of just trying to cram too much stuff into a single sentence, and the resultant reader confusion. I had to read it at least three times, just to comprehend it.

caw

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Matt Wilson, superstudman able to bring Chelsea's gay population to their knees with a single d*ck and Matt Wilson, f*cker extraordinaire of all male creatures great and small was in a relationship.

I don't know why you've repeated his name. Seems like it should be:

Matt Wilson, superstudman able to bring Chelsea's gay population to their knees with a single d*ck and f*cker extraordinaire of all male creatures great and small, was in a relationship.

Or

Matt Wilson--superstudman able to bring Chelsea's gay population to their knees with a single d*ck and f*cker extraordinaire of all male creatures great and small--was in a relationship.

Last edited:

evangaline

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thank you, Beth! You've crystallized the dilemma for me! Much appreciated!