What do you think of the children's pop up book the Babadook?

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I recently watched the movie and was enthralled with the children's book.
I would never write that type of book personally but I thought it was so creative and humorous.
I found myself reading it out loud with the actors.

h1tnerg.jpg

[/IMG]

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
I love this film, and yeah the aesthetics of the book are top notch. Definitely a highlight of the movie.

I kind of wonder about actually getting this kind of book for a kid? Or writing one. Some kids do love to be scared. I certainly sought out things to freak out my little brain, and no this habit has not changed.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I love this film, and yeah the aesthetics of the book are top notch. Definitely a highlight of the movie.

I kind of wonder about actually getting this kind of book for a kid? Or writing one. Some kids do love to be scared. I certainly sought out things to freak out my little brain, and no this habit has not changed.

I'm finding more and more books are pushing old boundaries aside. Who would have thought a scary bedtime story?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm finding more and more books are pushing old boundaries aside. Who would have thought a scary bedtime story?

This one was a favorite of my kid.

That said, I think the book in the film, exactly as it is there, is probably over the top. (Of course, my kid loves The Babadook, and she first saw it when she was 11.)

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
That's kind of the point, as I see it. Kids love to feel like they're breaking the rules, and "taboo material" is a great way to get that thrill. And if they genuinely get scared in the not fun way, it sucks but they've learned something about themselves. Though I'm always surprised at the level of stuff kids can handle.

For example, Babadook at 11?? Your child is hardcore.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
For example, Babadook at 11?? Your child is hardcore.

I'd also accept "What the @#$!! were you thinking, Liz??" :)

She loves horror, in particular present-day-based stories of ghost and evil/restless spirits. The Babadook is creepy and suspenseful, but not all that bloody, and the resolution of the story is...interesting.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Babadook at 11?? Your child is hardcore.

Man, I can barely handle Babadook. I loved the movie, but was freaked out for a good while after.

As for scary bedtime stories, I remember when I was a tiny kid, I adored The Monster at the End of This Book. Sure, it's no Babadook, but I still remember the scary-fun-thrill-dread as my parents read it to me.

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up with the SCARY STORIES FOR SLEEPOVERS series which, while the stories themselves were hit or miss, had art that more than made up for any lack of spookiness in the stories. If you have never seen the pictures from those books I heartily recommend looking them up.

Personally I couldn't stand THE BABADOOK despite being a horror fan. Stories where parents and kids don't get along are painful for me so I can never enjoy watching them.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Man, I can barely handle Babadook. I loved the movie, but was freaked out for a good while after.

As for scary bedtime stories, I remember when I was a tiny kid, I adored The Monster at the End of This Book. Sure, it's no Babadook, but I still remember the scary-fun-thrill-dread as my parents read it to me.

I'd forgotten about that book! I adored it too.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up with the SCARY STORIES FOR SLEEPOVERS series which, while the stories themselves were hit or miss, had art that more than made up for any lack of spookiness in the stories. If you have never seen the pictures from those books I heartily recommend looking them up.

Personally I couldn't stand THE BABADOOK despite being a horror fan. Stories where parents and kids don't get along are painful for me so I can never enjoy watching them.

I had to do some research on that movie b/c it was disturbing. After finding out the mother was in a serious depression (isolated and no support )and still grieving I understood their dynamics a bit more. I definitely sensed she loved and cared for him but was so overwhelmed b/c he was more than a handful.

Last edited:

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
I'd also accept "What the @#$!! were you thinking, Liz??" :)
Sounds like the best sort of parenting!

I had to do some research on that movie b/c it was disturbing. After finding out the mother was in a serious depression (isolated and no support ) systemand still grieving I understood their dynamics a bit more. I definitely sensed she loved and cared for him but was so overwhelmed b/c he was more than a handful.

Yeah, I get that. Hell I almost noped-out after the dog. It was well executed (imho) but it's not something I'd ever demand someone watch. Goes for most horror, technically, but especially ones that delve so explicitly into realistic terrors along with the fantastical.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Selling children's picture books is 50% of my day job. As much as I loved the pop-up, we would certainly put it in the 'too weird, won't sell category'. Still less creepy than The Rainbow Goblins. And, I'm sure all you Xennials out there remember the Stephen Gammell illustrations for Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Amiright?

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
Also, I'm so slow I didn't realize the MOM wrote the book! :Shrug: