Old dude coming in

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a member of other forums, but looking for one with focus more on my genres - mystery, crime, thriller. Been writing seriously since the mid-1980's, wrote 3 P.I. novels, none of which impressed the editors/agents. However, I've written a lot of short stories and poems, several of which were published. I'm 73 and retired, but still determined to keep writing. Unfortunately real life keeps getting in the way. Right now caregiver to an ailing wife, so I'm writing a little at a time - focusing on short stories, poetry and some non-fiction. However, I do have three other novels in a state what-do-I-do-next. I'll admit to be crotchety and opinionated, but have a wicked (often corny) sense of humor.
Look forward to meeting everyone.

And Porlock, in case anyone wonders, is a Sherlock Holmes character.:Coffee:

CBReid3

Registered
Reaction score
Porlock,

I read your post. I admire your devotion to your wife. My uncle had a stroke 7 years ago in his late forties. But, what amazed me was that his wife care for him the entire 7 years till he died. I attended his funeral, and I have undying respect for his wife, my aunt. What you're doing is special. I don't know from experience, but I do know this from witnessing what it means to be married in my aunt and uncle.

Sincerely,
Carlton Reid

- - - Updated - - -

I also look forward to reading your short stories and poetry.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Porlock.

Carlton said it better than I could. Caregiving seems a singular challenge and gift.

We do have genre-specific boards here. I write in different genres/categories than you (mostly horror, women's fiction, and fantasy). Hope to see you around the non-genre boards as well.

Best,
Anna

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Old dude coming in

Dear young whippersnapper: Keep on writing. When you're as old as I am (76--going on 77), you might be another published mystery/thriller writer (notice I said "published" but not successful :greenie).

:welcome:, Porlock!

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Welcome to AW, Porlock, and good for you. Hey, I'm 77 (in ten hours) and still writing, so keep it up. You've got lots of stories to tell yet.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to be in such stellar, experienced company. There's an old country song that says I may be too old to cut the mustard, but I sure can spread it around.:cool:

Gidget1225

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 73 and retired, but still determined to keep writing. Unfortunately real life keeps getting in the way. Right now caregiver to an ailing wife, so I'm writing a little at a time
Welcome to AW, porlock :hi:

I hope that you can make time to care for yourself as you lovingly care for your wife. It is a difficult balance.

I also have had my writing take a backseat to family members needing my care (my mom and then my dad). I'm able to dedicate much more time now and look forward to reading some of the pieces that you've written.

See you around the forums!

E. Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, porlock:banana: Looks like the geezers are coming out of the woodwork to welcome you. I turn 72 in two weeks. Having cared for my elderly mother for a long time, I can appreciate your devotion. Glad you are living up to your marriage vows of "in sickness and in health." Bless you, and good luck with the writing.