Valerian and the City of 1,000 Planets

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Saw this on the weekend.

First of all, as one would expect of Luc Besson, the visuals were stunning. Unfortunately, as someone once said when panning a production of Hamlet, the actors would sometimes get in the way.

While the movie opens with a truly heartwarming and optimistic vision of what the space program could, and should, become, I was disheartened to learn that centuries from now a man would try to impress a reluctant woman to become involved with him by claiming to be "alpha."

Further, if your character is based on a genuinely manly-man character in the graphic novels, and is claiming alpha status quite unironically, why would you have him played by an actor who appears to be 14 years old? Both leads give the production a YA feel, despite the male lead claiming a nine-year list of conquests, but I couldn't help giggling each time he pressed his suit by claiming to be a testosterone-loaded hunk of maleness. While the actor actually is an adult, I can't figure out whether this was deliberately sending up male stereotypes (in which case the humour was so subtle as to make the intention unclear) or if Besson really thought the lead was going to make all the girls in the cheap seats swoon.

Also, if you're going to have one character named "the commander" and another "the general," it would help if the actors playing these roles didn't look almost identical.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Yeah, I was puzzled by Besson's choice of male lead way back when he first announced it and all I knew about the two were the stock photos he presented. Cara Delevingne looked about right - actually more so in that photo than in the first footage I saw, although I still buy her as Laureline - and Laureline is supposed to be young, but Dane DeHaan just seemed way too young. The undermining of male stereotypes, though, if intended by Besson, is totally in line with the comic. It started off with Valerian being unironically heroic (it was in the 60's) but increasingly torpedoed that with Laureline's competence.

That's all I got for now. Gonna watch it on Wednesday.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've not seen it, but from the trailers it looks like something that will be gorgeous in 3-d, but heavily reliant on that appearance to disguise plot problems and lack of main cast chemistry.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the trailer looked amazing, but I do not like that model. I thought she was miscast in Suicide Squad, and I don't understand why she is even an actress.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It was visually beautiful. and I also loved the beginning with, first the advancement of the space program montage, and then the entire Muul sequence.

I also had problems with the casting for Valerian, and right off the bat I hated his cockiness and hoped from beginning to end that Laureline would reject him. His development seemed unearned (especially since the climax point of conflict for him--that he's a soldier and had to follow orders--seemed to come out of nowhere; along with the whole carrying the princess, her guiding him, "You've had a woman inside you this whole time?" stuff, which was dropped in with no hint that she'd been influencing him). I kept seeing other (young) actors in him, so I had a hard time seeing him as any sort of adult or action hero, which made his cockiness seem even more ridiculous. As Fifth Element is one of my favorite movies, I couldn't help but compare the two, and Valerian was no Korbin Dallas, who was a badass action hero but was quiet about it. The best interactions he had were with Bubble (who I adored).

The movie also had a ton of infodumps, but the setting infodumps were actually some of my favorite parts.

Pretty much every character who wasn't a prostitute, princess, or Laureline (who was also the love interest) was male.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'd have loved to see a movie where Bubble was the primary character. I thought Rihanna did a good job with her.

I agree that there were setups to explore things that were then dropped. In the future, could a male who looks like a whiny 14-year-old be considered the height of masculinity? Would absorbing the princess's consciousness have an effect on him? But Besson seemed to get bored of this in favour of the pretty lights, or worse, he wasn't really aware that he *was* setting up these questions. I got the sense that he felt it was the way things should be that Laureline's flaw would be that she was bitchy to the man she was falling in love with, even as the audience agreed that she had a perfect right to be unimpressed with Valerian.

And by the time they hit "woman gets captured after being distracted by pretty things, and man has to come rescue her" my eyes had sprained their socket muscles with the rolling. It's as if Besson were unaware of any development in gender roles since the 1960s.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I was really looking forward to this until I saw a few previews. The actors selected to play the two main characters turned me off. No way I could believe them as tough secret agent types who could take on major villains. Like casting James Bond with Justin Bieber or Black Widow with Ariana Grande.

Absolutely gorgeous and fascinating visuals. When I can rent it for $2 on RedBox I'll see it on my big beautiful wall screen.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
The thing about Luc Besson movies is, usually he mixes totally awesome bonkers ideas with really bad stuff. There's rarely anything in the middle, although the overall result often feels meh. Gotta give him that - he commits to what he does, even when it's crap.

Here, the awesome was mostly on the visual level, with the worldbuilding and the 3D and every shot being designed up to eleven. The story was criticized a lot for not making nay sense, but the basics of it were actually lifted from the comic book and then extended to work within a two-hour movie, so I'll give them a pass on that. (I'm a long-standing fan of the comics but I have to admit that the plots usually don't make much sense there, either.) The new plot managed quite nicely to stay true to the original story while keeping it fresh. Sadly, I couldn't fully enjoy the awesome because the 3D projection in my local cinema was so bad I had to squint at the exteriors.

The bad was mostly in the character dynamics (and quite a lot of the acting). The whole "I'm a charming rogue and we're made for each other and I'll keep repeating that until you give in" thing (and especially the giving in) makes this movie feel much more dated than it has any right to be, even for a classics adaptation. This is also the biggest disappointment in terms of dealing with tha source material - the dynamics between the original Valerian and Laureline were much more nuanced and modern in the comics. That was kind of the point.

After the movie, my friend suggested that a lot of the movie would have been more compelling if Valerian and Laureline had switched roles. I told him they did. That whole sequence where Valerian saves Laureline? The basic beats were still part of Laureline's quest to save Valerian in the comic. Although I understand why Besson changed that - it's okay for Laureline to carry the whole plot of a story within an ongoing series called Valerian but in a feature film named after Valerian, Valerian needs to get something to do, right?

It was a fun ride, though. I enjoyed seeing some of my favorite creatures from the comics come to life, and Alpha is a great setting - the sense of scope we get from the place makes it work much better than its comic version which feels more constricted. But do they really get to hear its history every time they approach it?