Creating Fictional Mirrors of Prominent Public Figures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottonystark

Registered
Reaction score
So, knowing the risks of name dropping real people in fiction for any variety of reasons and still wanting a realistic backdrop and the world to revolve around my universe realistically, I've decided to work on fictional public figures, politicians, and the likes to add to my universe that I'm writing in.

I guess my big question is, does anyone have any tips on how to successfully create fictional mirrors and likenesses of real people, both so that you can control the social and political climate to your liking and so that you don't get in any legal trouble?

If it helps, some of what I'm trying to sort of recreate is the current US political climate. Something to the tune of it, at least.

Thank you in advance!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the usual I-am-not-a-lawyer mode, I believe the best advice I've heard is not to create a mirror image of an identifiable person but to pour the traits of many of their ilk into a literary vat--surely you have a literary vat, right?--and mix them well, then ladle up a new person.

What you cannot do with legal impunity is create a buffoon with tiny feet, an odd hairstyle, and a implanted blonde wife, and make him cluelessly incompetent. Even if you dub him a name nothing like the president's, he will be recognizable. While public figures have a harder time suing for libel and slander, you don't want to risk the rage of anybody who's so litigation-happy it can bankrupt you to defend your right to do what you did.

You might want to read a few political thrillers, or some of Carl Hiaasen's* humorous mysteries in which Florida politicians are lampooned, to see how the pros do it.

Maryn, good speller

*I spelled Hiassen right without looking it up!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha! Good eye, Mr. Blacbird.

Maryn, rarely that cocky

Status
Not open for further replies.