• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What method do you prefer when you're writing?

Nox VII

Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, I used the search function but I didn't find any similar threads to this. That's why I opened a new one.

So, what do you use to write?
Do you like the classic style, pen and paper?
Or do you prefer typing in your PC? If so what program do you use, if any?

I myself use a program called WriteMonkey, it has the necessary features but overall is a simple program.

(In case that you're wondering why I make so small sentences is because I have an ultrawide (21:9) monitor
and it's annoying to move my head from each side to the other.)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I write in MS Word, either on my desktop (if I'm home) or on my tablet (if I'm at a coffee shop).

I used to have this idea that my creativity only flowed when I wrote with pen and notebook, then tried writing my first drafts on the computer and realized I loved it. Am more productive now...

I still brainstorm on paper, however.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a similar thread (that I probably could only find because I remember participating in it). I haven't heard of WriteMonkey and will be googling it now, out of curiosity. :)

Testome

Registered
Reaction score
I use Scrivener. I enjoy separating each chapter into its own page and have all my world building stuff right there when I need it instead of having to open something else.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
pencil and paper for my first draft. (If I have a passage with lots of crossing-out, it's less distracting later if I just erase it.)

Anyway, I can barely read my own writing, so the first draft is just to get it out of my head. I'll usually review (what I can, because, as I've said, I have a hard time reading my handwriting) & when I have a decent idea of how the story flows, what needs cutting down, what needs expanding, and then I'll type a new version into the computer.

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
Word on the laptop. I keep a journal, but rarely write longhand. I type quite a few notes in my phone, which has basically replaced a notepad for me.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever I can do with whatever tool I have available at any given time. That often means longhand in a yellow legal pad, which, for me, has a number of advantages. Eventually, everything goes into the word-processor, but if I have a longhand draft, putting it into a computer document becomes the first editing pass.

caw

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
I do jot down notes with pen and paper (cheap A4 notebooks) while having coffee in bed each morning. Some times I write longer pieces and then transcribe them onto MS Word. I suspect that in time I'll move over to jotting down notes on my phone or tablet because transcribing can be slow work.

Scrivener helped me when I was drafting a complex novella and couldn't keep track of characters and plot twists.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
The ideas for future works go in composition books, then I formulate a plot around them online, through Microsoft word. After the plot's secure, and nothing else is added to it, I email it to myself (as a way to ensure I won't lose it if anything happens to my computer).

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Very good idea for back-up, Punk28. I store work on cloud and in Ms Word files and on a closed blog but I should make sure I can retrieve it quickly online as an email.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone's heard but, with Microsoft Paint being planned to be retired soon, I think us users of Microsoft Word should get ready for when it goes too. With such a useful tool/program, you'd think that they would leave it alone. Same goes for Word (if MS Paint is being retired, then who says Word's not going next).

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
I jot down ideas and journals in pen, and do my real writing oddly enough in Windows Wordpad - which I then save and edit in an MS Word file. And I can't give you any good reason for doing that outside of the fact that I got used to Wordpad a million years ago and still have it as my default writer. Guess it's like an old pair of slippers. Just switched from AOL to gmail, too :).

In a possibly interesting side note (and perhaps warning)...

A few years ago I was required to take a 4 hour test for my day job that was much like an SAT. I was well prepared for the test, and knew that the last section was writing. All my test prep resources repeatedly said to allow at least 45 minutes for the writing, but I'm a writer, right? I took my sweet time, got to the last section with about 20 minutes left, and started writing. In pen. I quickly realized you can't delete, cut and paste, move sentences at a whim. I had scrap paper, but it didn't stop the sweat from beading up on my head. I forgot what it was like to write totally "old school" and it was a horror show. It was also a gratitude builder for me. Before that I didn't ever really gave much thought to the writing tools we have today as opposed to back in the 60s and 70s.

Thankfully, I passed the test, but scored pretty low on the writing.

That's all.

Last edited:

cpatten

Registered
Reaction score
For ideas I always use pen and paper, then I will transfer that to Scrivener.

Scrivener is the home base of my manuscript. I outline, sometimes write, and revise there.

However, for a large bit of my writing I will use either WriteorDie or Google Docs. WriteorDie really helps me make my wordcount goals and Google Docs is great for on the go writing.
If I'm away from a computer (depending on my day job I can be commuting on the bus for long periods) then I'll use my Alphasmart Neo.

gbondoni

Registered
Reaction score
Like Laura above, I brainstorm on paper and then write on MS Word. Works well, no hassle, is usually installed on every computer.

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone's heard but, with Microsoft Paint being planned to be retired soon, I think us users of Microsoft Word should get ready for when it goes too. With such a useful tool/program, you'd think that they would leave it alone. Same goes for Word (if MS Paint is being retired, then who says Word's not going next).

MS Paint is a utility that MS has been "giving away" since the first version of Windows.

MS Word is an integral part of the Office suite and the industry standard word processing software.

I don't think you need to worry about Word going away. :)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Besides, Microsoft announced Paint isn't going anywhere either. :)

I'm confused why this general question -- "What do you write with?" keeps popping up. The answer is that it doesn't matter, the output is what matters. And whatever someone uses to get the best output they can is the ideal way for them to write. And, last time I checked, I'm not you. So what I do may or may not be applicable to you in any way. If what you do isn't working, try something else. When you find what works, stick with it.

Jeff

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I write in Word. I've heard people go on and on about Scrivener. Maybe I'll have to try it at some point.

Personally, I hate writing my stories by hand. It slows down my writing, and when I'm in the zone, I have to write fast to keep up with my brain.

technoglobe

Registered
Reaction score
I used to be a die-hard Scrivener fan, but lately I've been using GoogleDocs more. I like being able to access it everywhere.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Not going away, just won't be part of the whole OS shebang. You will still be able to download it.

. . . MS Word is an integral part of the Office suite and the industry standard word processing software.

Yes. Sigh.

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused why this general question -- "What do you write with?" keeps popping up. The answer is that it doesn't matter, the output is what matters. And whatever someone uses to get the best output they can is the ideal way for them to write. And, last time I checked, I'm not you. So what I do may or may not be applicable to you in any way. If what you do isn't working, try something else. When you find what works, stick with it.

Jeff

Jeff, I'm confused as to why you're confused. :evil The motivation for someone asking "what do you write with?" is in your post.

If what I'm doing isn't working--if I feel the tools I am currently using aren't optimal for my writing methods--then what better way of learning what other tools are out there then asking my AW peers what they use and why?

That's how I found out about Scrivener. My writing process involves lots of notes and research in addition to the actual manuscript, so I was using Word and OneNote as my primary tools a couple of years ago. I made it work, but it didn't seem ideal. Then I came across a thread such as this one, and a poster mentioned Scrivener and that one of the benefits was "keeping everything in one place". I tried it, liked it, and am still using it, on my PC, iPad, and iPhone.

But I might never have heard of it, if not for a thread like this one.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Ages ago, I used pen and paper. Then I learned to compose at the keyboard and my productivity increased dramatically. Now, I have just learned to use a text to speech program and my productivity has increased again.

I think the important thing to remember is that everyone has their own way of doing things. I would never personally consider going back to pen and paper, for example, but it works for some people.