The days before a release

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I now have four books out on Amazon Kindle, and my fifth is basically ready. But I want to try to do this release properly. My pattern so far has basically amounted to putting it out there and posting a few social media links. It hasn't worked. At all. Each of my books sells progressively less, and I think I've tried just about all the things indie authors are encouraged to do, to zero effect. Zero.

My latest attempt was to make use of Createspace to make a print copy and running a Goodreads Giveaway. I got over a thousand people signing on, but it didn't lead to the tiniest blip in sales.

Might I have better luck if I run a Giveaway in the weeks leading to the release? I'm extremely reluctant to use some kind of paid ad thing, because those have never led to a single sale for me, but I am scheduled for an October author spotlight on the Reddit Fantasy subreddit. Would making the release and giveaway coincide with it somehow be a strong move?

What ARE authors with no social media standing supposed to do in the weeks leading up to a release?

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think self-published authors with no social media presence sell much. I can't imagine trying to promote a book without Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and blogging.

Perhaps Amazon ads would be the way to go for you.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Are you engaging with the readers or are you just spamming when you post the links?*

*Disclaimer: Not self-published, so what do I know?

Daffyjkl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same position, zero social media standing. I know I need to get a website and start promoting on social media, but as yet I haven't started (but will soon). I have tried Amazon KDP advertising and have managed to get some reasonable results, just don't expect to make money. If I include KENP I break even or make a small profit. It's a lot of effort for little return, but at least I know my work is being read. I have a post regarding KDP advertising: KDP Advertising Tips

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Was that aimed at me, chompers?

If so, I don't even know how you'd spam on Pinterest. I just have nifty collections of unicorns, dragons, etc.

My blog is an eclectic mix--author interviews, book reviews, my stories, and my thoughts on various things.

I use Facebook and Twitter mostly to cross-promote. Then others return the favor, so it benefits me in a roundabout way, but I've never heard that referred to as spamming. :)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
No, it was a question for the OP. :) He said would post a bunch of links, but nothing came of it.