• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What the **** just happened?

M.C.Statz

Little fish in a big pond
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a story, attempting to do several WTF JUST HAPPENED??? scenes. And by that, I mean scenes where the reader understands literally who did what, but has no idea why that scene is included or the motivation of the POV character. Obviously, I want to tie it all together later, but that's another story. (Except it's the same exact story. I need to work on my metaphors)

So, I have to ask, what is your favorite WTF? scene? What makes it work? What makes WTF?? scenes not work?

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
The Red Wedding by GRRM is probably the biggest WTF scene for me. I think what makes a good one work is that the events follow logically from events/characters in the story, but the reader is still hoping or expecting a different outcome. Lampshading tropes can help with this, as savvy readers are used to seeing certain tropes fulfilled so when one goes sideways they can feel very blind-sided, even if it's supported in the text.

A WTF moment for me doesn't work when there is no foreshadowing, no good explanation, inconsistent with characterization--if it's just completely out of the blue it feels like a cheap trick.

M.C.Statz

Little fish in a big pond
Registered
Reaction score
Please explain lampshading tropes. I think I understand what you mean, but this is my first time hearing the term.