Hi from North Carolina!

David_F

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is David. I’m new at this. Last week my wife and I went to an event at a local bookstore where a few authors were on a panel talking about their books and writing experiences. One of the authors suggested to check out this forum. So here I am.

I have been told I’m not conventional. I only starting writing about 18 months ago and growing up I never liked writing. What I have really liked to do over the years is tell stories. When my daughter was young my wife would read her books, but I made up bed time stories. They were for entertainment, but I also hoped these stories would teach her some life lessons. Some were short stories that were just one night and some lasted a whole week. My wife and daughter always told me to write down my stories, but I never did. I was a little lazy.

I have been a stay at home dad for the past ten years because of an injury. After hitting a milestone birthday, a year and a half ago, I felt a little down. My wife told me that age was just a number, and I should do something to get out of my doldrums. She and my daughter reminded me about some of my stories, and told me to pick one and write it down. I kept telling them, I don’t know how to write. My wife said to just write down your thoughts and don’t worry about the grammar. Not knowing if it was any good, that is what I did. First, I thought it would be a short story, and then it became a novel. This was the first time I ever liked writing. It became fun for me. I sent the manuscript to a local small publisher and it became published. The book that I wrote is geared towards Young Adults and is in multiple categories such as Fiction, Fantasy, Coming of Age and Witches and Wizards. I just started writing the second book of three of the series.

Even though I have received positive feedback about my writing, I still have insecurities about my skills. Hearing from other writers and sharing strategies with them is why I came here. It is always nice to know someone else is going through what I am. I look forward to participating in this group.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, David - Welcome to the cooler. :Sun:

Gidget1225

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hi, David. Welcome.

I love your unconventional story. It must be amazing to have your wife and daughter encourage you to commit to paper the stories that they loved hearing over the years. I look forward to reading some of them.

Chloe007

Registered
Reaction score
Hi David. You have a wonderful wife! That's really cool you're already published :)

E. Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, David :banana: Remarkable accomplishments for such a late start. Good for you. Write on.

David_F

Registered
Reaction score
Hi divine-intestine - Thank you for your warm welcome.

Last edited:

David_F

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gidget1225-

Yes, it is great to have the support I have. My wife and daughter continually encourage me to write. I usually get my best ideas late at night. My wife makes me get out of bed to go write them down..

David_F

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Chloe007 -

Yes, my wife is wonderful and supportive. It is still hard for me to believe that I got published. But, I do think it is pretty cool and it makes me feel good.

David_F

Registered
Reaction score
Hi E. Steve E. -

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Some times it takes a long time to find your calling. I learned that it is never too late to become the person you are supposed to be.

David_F

Registered
Reaction score
Hi regdog - Thank you for all the information. It is very helpful.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, David. North Carolina is on the opposite coast from us, but we have a grandson (and great-grandkids) moving there for a job with IBM, so we may be visiting.

Storytelling is a wonderful skill. I have a client in our neighbor state of Washington who tells terrific stories and is rapidly gaining skills past basic spelling, punctuation, and grammar into the finer nuances of writing. It's been fun to watch his growth.

:welcome:!

David_F

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Chase -

Tell you grandson that North Carolina is a really nice place to live, and most people here are very friendly. North Carolina also had a lot of tech companies, especially in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill).
Tell you client to just write down their stories. Getting the idea down is the most important thing. Spelling, punctuation and grammar will come later. Beside, that is why we have editors. My wife told me that when I started writing.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Justin's job transfer with IBM is to Chapel Hill. He's been there once before and liked it.

I suppose your theory on writing is good for those who slept through English classes, but most writers know spelling, punctuation, and grammar are part and parcel of stories good enough to sell. However, your wife gave good advice--anything to keep the writer writing. :greenie

David_F

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lillian_Blaire. Thank you for the warm welcome. I see by your avatar, that you like Bewitched. I loved watching that show when I was young.