American Horror Story---which seasons to watch?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I know there is a thread on this, but I wanted some recommendations from people who have seen it. I watched the first season, and I thought it was a huge build up to nothing, and it put me off the show. But I have heard that some of the other seasons were better.

I tried to watch HOTEL last night, but it still had the thing that I couldn't stand about season one--it seemed like someone who didn't know anything about horror watched some good horror movies and threw them all together. In this case, it was The Hunger and The Shining, two movies that do not mix well in a cocktail, let me tell you. I thought Lady Gaga had an awesome screen presence, and there is literally no one else I would want in the Catherine Deneuve role. But it still really bothered me. They even played "Bela Lugosi's Dead" by Bauhaus.

So are there some good seasons that are not derivative? Does this one get better?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
The only two that held my interest to the end were the first season and COVEN, and I liked the latter better. The others lost me along the way (although I missed ROANOKE completely).

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished season 1 and plan on getting the season about the circus freaks b/c it had GREAT reviews.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
the one with lady gaga was pretty awesome. who knew she could pull off being creepy like that!

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
Asylum had great reviews too. Anyone agree?

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed Asylum and Coven the most. I liked Hotel but not to the same extent as Asylum and Coven. Didn't really get into the first season (House?). Haven't watched Roanoke or Circus yet.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Watched all of Seasons 1 thru 3. Of those, #2 Asylum, was definitely my favorite. I got pretty far into Freak Show, but eventually dropped it. Hotel turned me off by Episode 3. But then came Roanoke, which I consider the absolute best of the bunch. It was like they finally found a narrative that held their interest (previously they would start going in one direction and then seem to lose interest and head somewhere else). Roanoke was great from first to last. I've heard rumors that the even numbered seasons take place in one universe and the odds in another. Not sure how true that is, but a character from season two did show up in season six.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Watched all of Seasons 1 thru 3. Of those, #2 Asylum, was definitely my favorite. I got pretty far into Freak Show, but eventually dropped it. Hotel turned me off by Episode 3. But then came Roanoke, which I consider the absolute best of the bunch. It was like they finally found a narrative that held their interest (previously they would start going in one direction and then seem to lose interest and head somewhere else). Roanoke was great from first to last. I've heard rumors that the even numbered seasons take place in one universe and the odds in another. Not sure how true that is, but a character from season two did show up in season six.

It's all slowly coming together.