Anza-Borrego Desert Smells

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm working on a novel set partially in the desert. It takes place from October through December. I've found plenty of stuff on wildlife and I can get the weather, but very little talks about smells. I know areas further north smell out-gassing from the Salton Sea in October, but I don't know if the rest of the region would smell that. And there's nothing for the later fall months.

I wouldn't mind details on seasonal animal habits as well, but I'm not sure how much that will come into play.

Thank you for any help.

-Debbie

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I lived in Saudi Arabia for several years, i.e. Arabian desert. It smells of sand. It's really hard to explain the smell or compare it to anything else. The lack of humidity means there's less smell generally (moisture in the air carries smells) so you don't particularly notice much in terms of smell. However, if there's been a recent sandstorm it all smells of sand. Plus you can tell when a sandstorm is imminent because it smells of sand. And everything gets covered in sand. If things break down, it's because of sand. Water pump not working? It's full of sand. Printer breaks down? It's full of sand. Car not working? Sand in the engine.

shizu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about their distribution, or when any scent would be at its strongest, but maybe distinctive scents like mesquite, California junipers or creosote bushes might work.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Not sure if I've been in Borrego, but nearly all US SW deserts smell of sagebrush. Check to see if they have pinon (should have a tilde on the first n) pines; those have a distinctive piney smell. Likewise junipers. If the winds are blowing, then yes, there'll be sand in your nose.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks folks.

I'd love stuff that's season specific if anyone has more seasonal experience. I've been to LA and San Diego, but couldn't make it inland (mid-July might not have helped much anyway). Humidity in October is around 45% but I'm guessing evenings and 7-8 AM would have some odors.

I have desert ironwood and mesquite in my notes as well as agave (if I'm reading my handwriting correctly). I'll do more research on these and other plants mentioned.

I really want the details right here. Thanks for any more suggestions.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I've walked in the Nevada desert, and not noticed any particularly strong odours.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Blacbird. Did you see anything on the site that actually discussed fragrance in fall or winter? If it's there, I've missed it. Perhaps I'll find something as I look up individual species. I hope to start that research tomorrow.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

The only additional thing I can think of is that botanical smells seem to be strongest in the early morning and at dusk.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Siri. That's why I'm thinking there might be smells at those hours. No luck on my search today though. I know these plants aren't flowering at this time of year, but not whether you can smell them then. I'll find other avenues if nothing shows up here.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

The piney smells of pinons and junipers comes from the resins, not flowers. Not sure about sagebrush.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The piney smells of pinons and junipers comes from the resins, not flowers. Not sure about sagebrush.

This. Pinons and junipers don't have flowers. And the sage aroma is from the foliage mainly. But these are all very distinct aromas, and not limited to a season, though they might be more intense after a rain.

caw