• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Balancing reading and writing

majordan92

Registered
Reaction score
How do you balance reading time and writing time? I ask this because of a qoute by Stephen King, "If you don't read, then you don't have the necessary tools to write." I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea. On some days I'd like to read as much as I can, but I also try to find time to write. So how do you find time to sit down and read and sit down and write.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I do most of my reading at night, in bed, when I'm too tired and unfocused to write effectively.*

caw

* "Effectively" is, of course, a subjective opinion of mine, not shared by any agents or editors I've submitted to.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I stopped trying to force an artificial balance. There are days/weeks where I binge read everything I get my hands on, and days/weeks when I'm writing like the wind. And there are days I write a little and read a little. The key is to make sure you have a balance overall - read a lot, write a lot, however that looks to you.

divine-intestine

Hardened drinker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's as much about a curiosity for writing that isn't your own. Maybe you read a paragraph in a blog that you find particularly interesting or maybe it's a chapter in a random book. I still remember looking for a particular book at the library once and accidentally borrowed the wrong one--Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Turned out to be one of the best books I've read.

Another time, different library, I caught a glimpse of a book called The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse. I'd never heard of the author Robert Rankin but I liked the title so I read the first chapter and was completely hooked! I think it's about finding those moments in life where you don't plan the experience. Just experience it.

Shirokitty

Registered
Reaction score
I don't try to balance it, yet I manage to do a healthy amount of both. There are times when I get so focused on my writing I forget to eat. Then there are times the words just aren't coming and it feels nice to relax with a book.

There are also times where it's easier to do one than the other. It's easier to write at work, but easier to read while in transit or lying in bed.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
I sympathize, I can't even read much at all anymore because I keep comparing it to what I've written. Instead of just enjoying it it's always "man, I could never write like this!" or "how did this get published? I could do so much better." :) But it's easier to make time if I tell myself every little bit is fuel for getting better. Try to read the things you know will help you improve, I guess.

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a certain time and place I read. It's either on my lunch hour at work, or outside in a chair in the yard (when the weather permits, of course.)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I read a lot. I love to read. I find it really effortless to read fiction. With some non-fiction, in particular if I want the content, but find the actual writing a challenge to stay focused on, I'll put that in the toilet. (ha ha. I mean, I always have one book near the crapper, and I'll get at least get started one paragraph at a time. Often the book graduates from the toilet list to the sofa list - that's for stuff I read for the pleasure. I re-read favorite novels, and sometimes interesting non-fiction in bed as my fall-asleep book.) I wish I wrote more, but I have learned that forcing it is really bad for me.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I was struggling to do any reading because of eye strain. After spending all day at the computer, I just did NOT want to stare at a page or ereader. Enter audiobooks, and now I'm blowing through a book or two a week by listening in the evenings.

JoyceAernouts

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smalltownjoyce.wordpress.com
I find this very difficult. When I'm writing intensively then I find it hard to just enjoy a book. When I read I'm not really reading. I'm looking at the sentence structure, how the plots and subplots are interacting and how the character evolves. That kind of ruins the reading experience for me, so I avoid reading when I'm in a good writing mood.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Don't think of them as separate. I never feel guilty for reading instead of writing. Reading IS writing--the first stage of it.

Okay, maybe if it's been like 2 weeks and it's all read no write, but in general I treat it like eating/exercising in terms of balance.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Don't think of them as separate. I never feel guilty for reading instead of writing. Reading IS writing--the first stage of it.

I am coming to feel this way too. It is especially so for books that I'm reading for research - whether actual histories, or books written during the time period I'm writing about - but any time spent reading I'm considering well-invested time. I'm often just too tired out from my day job (which has been especially brutal lately) to get much writing done, especially on weekday evenings. But if I spend some time reading (or listening to audiobooks, upon which I depend very heavily) I don't consider it wasted time.

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
In the morning before work, I write/edit/critique. On my lunch at work, I read. After work, I finish whatever writing/editing I need to do, and then at bed time, I read. That way, I still get a couple hours of reading in while also getting my writing stuff done. It works well for me.

HaHs

Registered
Reaction score
I find for myself that reading is something I can do almost anywhere for any short or long amount of time - on a train, for five minutes before I start working, on the sofa at my grandparent's house for hours on Christmas Eve - whereas writing is something that takes more dedication and set-up: four hours in Starbucks, laptop to my left, peppermint mocha to my right. headphones in, background noise in session.... So I can read in bits and pieces throughout the day and during any old moods, whereas writing takes a certain amount more focus and energy.

Of course, sometimes all of that goes entirely out of the window.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is a tough one for me too. When I get focused on writing, I don't read as much as I should. But I love reading so much.

Mr.Letterman

Registered
Reaction score
Read on the train, write after work. Works for me. It gives me an hour and a half reading time and three hours writing time.

Chloe007

Registered
Reaction score
I like to write in the mornings, as soon as I wake up.

I like to read in the evenings before going to bed.

It works out for me. After a day at work, you can get quiet stressed out or moody. Writing stuff under those mental and emotional conditions doesn't work for me. Reading a book helps me release my stress and relaxes me.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I find that if I'm on a reading binge, I do no writing. If I'm writing more, I don't want to read. I can't seem to balance much. And sometimes, I can't write OR read and end up just watching Netflix, which does nothing for my brain cells. :p hahah. Oh well.
And I have a very big TBR so this doesn't bode well for me.... hmmm

I can't read at night, but I can write. So I try to balance, and sometimes it works. But like I said above, (and like what's happening to me now,) sometimes it doesn't.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't try and balance anything. If I feel like writing, I write - and if I feel like reading, I read.