Relativistic calculations

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a conversation on another forum about this, and it occurred to me that the details could be generally valuable. The calculations for relativistic travel are detailed on this site. I've extracted the essential equations, to save time:

The rocket equations are
t = objective time
c = speed of light
a = acceleration
d=distance
T = subjective time
u = tau factor

To calculate absolute elapsed time given acceleration and subjective time
t = (c/a) sinh(aT/c)
To calculate absolute elapsed time given acceleration and distance
t = sqrt[(d/c)2 + 2d/a]
To calculate distance given acceleration and subjective time
d = (c2/a) [cosh(aT/c) - 1]
To calculate distance given acceleration and objective time
d = (c2/a) (sqrt[1 + (at/c)2] - 1)
To calculate velocity given acceleration and subjective time
v = c tanh(aT/c)
To calculate velocity given acceleration and objective time
v = at / sqrt[1 + (at/c)2]
To calculate subjective time given acceleration and objective time
T = (c/a) sinh-1(at/c)
To calculate subjective time given acceleration and distance
T = (c/a) cosh-1 [ad/c2 + 1]
To calculate instantaneous tau given acceleration and subjective time
u = cosh(aT/c)
To calculate instantaneous tau given acceleration and objective time
u = sqrt[1 + (at/c)2]
To calculate instantaneous tau given acceleration and distance
u = ad/c2 + 1

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
This is over my head but also eminently useful for my WIP. Can I assume your Bobbiverse eschews FTL travel?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Without derailing your thread, I would love to hear more about propulsion methods.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Without derailing your thread, I would love to hear more about propulsion methods.

I made one up based vaguely on the Alcubierre Drive, but waving the hands leftwards instead of rightwards. ;) Mine is called the SURGE drive, which stands for SUbspace Reactionless Geotactic Emulation.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm calling mine a good 'ol metric drive, sometimes referred to as an Inheritor Drive. Is the SURGE front-mounted, or at the back?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
heaven1_sm.jpg

This is a Blender rendering I did. The drive ring in the middle generates the SURGE field.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
So that's Bob, huh?

:Hail:

I'm gonna keep these formulas on hand & thank you again. I've been hitting the same roadblock with trying to figure out some relativistic timeframes. This much math is kind of panic-inducing to me, fortunately I only have get to a broad estimate.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Nope, math, nope. Nice of you to share, but I'd need a couple of examples for each of those, with numbers plugged in and results given, before they made any sense. No one's written handy code for this yet?

Images: maximum 400px please. Many of our members still use dial-up, it takes forever for large images to load. Check out the FAQ: FAQ: Image Size Guidelines

-Derek

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Would work great as a calculator. (Project Rho might have done one already, they've got all sorts of good resources.)

Kevin Nelson

Aspiring to authorship since 1975
Registered
Reaction score
Nice set of equations, but there's more worth adding. Let's define alpha as acceleration in gees. So if alpha=1, the passengers on the spaceship will feel an effective gravity like on Earth.

Measuring T in years, the ratio of the payload to the spacecraft's total initial mass will be
R = exp[1.03*alpha*T*c/ve]
where ve is the speed of the rocket exhaust relative to the spacecraft itself. In order to get a reasonable R, you'll need a ve that's a substantial fraction of c. Even then, R is liable to get quite large. The vast majority of the initial mass will have to consist of fuel.

It will be a bit more efficient if, instead of having constant acceleration, the spacecraft has periods of hard acceleration at the beginning and hard deceleration at the end, with a longer period of coasting in between. On the assumption that the periods of acceleration and deceleration have equal subjective time, I've derived an equation for T. It's pretty complicated, so I won't try to post it here. But I find that if ve=0.5c and R is 400 (which is about the most I could believe in for a spacecraft with any significant number of passengers),
T = 0.47D + 1.15T_1
where D is the distance to the destination in light-years and T_1 is the subjective time in the initial acceleration period, measured in years. During the acceleration and deceleration, the effective gravity as felt on board will be
alpha = 1.5*0.97/T_1

Incidentally, the factors of 1.03 and 0.97 pop up because the gravitational acceleration felt at the surface of the Earth, g=9.8 m/s2, is 1.03 light-years per year squared.