Modern Day "June Cleaver" reference

Gidget1225

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the scoop:

MC gets hitched to a conservative Christian man to live the "stay-at-home to cook and clean and to be the obedient wife and perfect mom" kind of life. I have her referring to her role as that of "June Cleaver," but she's barely 30.

Does the "June Cleaver" metaphor still resonate with the 20-30 age-group or is there a more recent equivalent that I should reference?

I suspect that the general consensus might be: "Thank God, NO!" You'll have to stick with June Cleaver!" Of course, I don't want to make that assumption if there's a more relevant personality.

Merci!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe Stepford Wife? Somewhat more recent, especially since there was a remake not that long ago.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
The Duggar family is who first came to mind here. So Michelle Duggar? Or "something out of one of those Christian romances."

You might turn it around and use a male reference: "The kind of wife that would make Pat Robertson happy."

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
All of these people mentioned are pretty obscure, in my opinion. However, I don't know what TeeVee re-runs your target audience watches.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think any of the terms mentioned would be okay. Your meaning would likely be clear from the context, and it's certainly okay for people to learn something new anyway. Another possible term is "fifties housewife."

Last edited:

Hopefully WLCT

Registered
Reaction score
I have 3 daughters, age's 21,25 and 27. When I asked them about June Cleaver they said in harmony,"who?" Stepford Wife was the result when I asked for a similiar character.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'd go with "fifties housewife," because I think more folks will understand the reference.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in my 40s and don't get the reference. Just googled it - it's from an American sitcom so that's why I've never heard of her. I have heard of Stepford Wives though. And I'd get "1950s housewife".

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for "fifties housewife."

And also, please beware of perpetuating a negative stereotype about Christians and Christian wives.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I like '50's housewife' because it's a reasonably widely known image, from ads and TV shows, as well as satire. And on that note, at some point she may notice that her vision of her life is from another era, entirely, as well as a specific socio-economic class.
Maybe combine the two, if you want to keep the 'June Cleaver' reference? 'I was finally living the life I dreamed of, the life of a '50s housewife, a real June Cleaver.'

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with "50s housewife" or "soccer mom." However, to me a soccer mom has a connotation of a working mother who runs herself ragged with family and kids' activities every minute she's not at work rarher than a June Cleaver stay at home type. Junes don't really exist anymore the way they used to, so a more relatable image might be better.

Flambeau

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe combine the two, if you want to keep the 'June Cleaver' reference? 'I was finally living the life I dreamed of, the life of a '50s housewife, a real June Cleaver.'

I second this. I'm 25 and I get the June Cleaver reference, but I might be unusual for my age group because I'm familiar with a lot of classic TV. I think the reference adds a bit of pizzazz though rather than just saying "fifties housewife", which strikes me as too generic.

Gidget1225

Registered
Reaction score
And also, please beware of perpetuating a negative stereotype about Christians and Christian wives.
Actually, my MC loves her "June Cleaver" role. Strong, capable, and resilient (and married to a man who truly loves her) she is far from a one-dimensional character. I do appreciate the concern, though. Thank you.