Bird and Wind Chimes?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I put THIS wind chime up recently and keep catching birds on top of it. I have yet to have my camera nearby, but will try. My stepdad thinks they are barn swallows (after I described them). But they will come and sit and sometimes fight over this wind chime. They sit on the very top of the chimes "bird head."

Tonight, I saw a bird there and it was barely moving. I swear it might have been sleeping? Both cats were chattering at the window and it only flew off when I rushed off to get my phone to take a picture and flipped the porch light on.

I don't know anything about birds, but aren't wind chimes supposed to scare them off?

I don't mind them there, but am super curious. I can't find much online about this except that birds are usually afraid of chimes. Just not getting any productive hits.

Could they be attracted to the glass part?

I see no no signs of nests nearby. There simply isn't room for one. But boy.... they do fight over this thing. Why? Lol

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Is it simply possible that you've provided them with a protected perching area out of the sun? It looks like a good viewpoint, and the metal part of the sculpture looks like a great perch.

(Also, I have chimes right near my hummingbird feeder. I've never noticed the chimes bother birds of any sort. Thankfully. I like both the chimes and the birds. :))

(Also #2, now I want that chime. It's charming as heck!)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Hahah, thanks Elaine! You know, I catch them at night and during the day. They are cute as can be and the cats sure like to watch them. I may put a small feeder out there for them too.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Random loud noises tend to spook birds, but if the birds aren't bothered by the noise, and you've presented them with a very well positioned, secured perch (fer ex - anything sitting up there is protected from the back, sides, and above, and gets a good view of the only approach, that's a great place for a small bird to settle in)