Donald Trump Slams Jeff Sessions During NYT Interview

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
“Jeff Sessions takes the job, gets into the job, recuses himself, which frankly I think is very unfair to the president,” he added. “How do you take a job and then recuse yourself? If he would have recused himself before the job, I would have said, ‘Thanks, Jeff, but I’m not going to take you.’ It’s extremely unfair — and that’s a mild word — to the president.”
Apparently, the Donald is incredibly pissed off because he hand-picked Jeff Sessions to be a loyalist, and among other things to make sure the Russia investigation didn't go anywhere, and then Sessions turns around and recuses himself. That's not why he made him attorney general. I wonder if Sessions is on the way out or if Trump is just venting, as is his wont.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/politics/trump-interview-sessions-russia.html

I'll be interested to see the actual transcript of the interview.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is surely because the investigation is getting much to close to short-sighted* Trump.

*Short-sighted as in, did this guy really think it was smart to run for POTUS with all his shady financial dealings?

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Trump is not, as many of his supporters say, all about loyalty. He's about loyalty to him. You know, the important person. He has little loyalty towards anyone else.

As he sees it, he gave Sessions the job like he would give a hotel manager a job - to take care of all the hassles that might disturb the rarified atmosphere at Planet Trump. If that takes some dirty hands, some not-so-legal stuff, even some risks for the manager, that's part of the job. Sessions isn't doing that job - he even deliberately recused himself instead of just quashing the investigation! - and Trump is pissed about it.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Trump is not, as many of his supporters say, all about loyalty. He's about loyalty to him. You know, the important person. He has little loyalty towards anyone else.

As he sees it, he gave Sessions the job like he would give a hotel manager a job - to take care of all the hassles that might disturb the rarified atmosphere at Planet Trump. If that takes some dirty hands, some not-so-legal stuff, even some risks for the manager, that's part of the job. Sessions isn't doing that job - he even deliberately recused himself instead of just quashing the investigation! - and Trump is pissed about it.

This.

If it weren't for the fact that we're talking about the President of the United States and a very real threat to (and testing of) the system of checks and balances, it would almost be amusing to watch him play "Russia Whack-a-Mole."

Politics ain't business. You can't just make a problem go away by firing people. ...At least, I hope you can't.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is surely because the investigation is getting much to close to short-sighted* Trump.

*Short-sighted as in, did this guy really think it was smart to run for POTUS with all his shady financial dealings?

Of course he did. DT has bought, bullied or sued his way through whatever has come his way. He really believed he would be able to do the same thing as president. He has no concept of the "real world" beyond his fiefdom atop Trump Tower. He cannot demand absolute loyalty of those around him in politics they way he can in private business.

Real life is a foreign concept to him. He thinks health insurance costs $12 a year.

I said on Twitter, the man has probably never actually paid for anything in his life. He has an account office that takes care of that.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Real life is a foreign concept to him. He thinks health insurance costs $12 a year.
Confucius once said, do not pay for your expenses when the Trump Foundation can pay for them.

-cb

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Proving that he not only appointed people expecting absolute loyalty to him, but that he is still trying to obstruct justice, DT's team were "stunned" that Sessions didn't resign after DT attacked him for recusing himself regarding Russia

Link Must turn off Ad blocker to read page

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
I just find it terribly amusing that the guy who still screeches about "crooked Hilary" is pissed about one of his cabinet members actually doing the right thing. Wasn't there a quote about how important it was not just avoid impropriety, but the appearance of impropriety?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This may have more to do with Tillerson's concerns than Sessions:
The change in Tillerson’s tone followed a stressful week for the secretary of state. He was found to have violated U.S. sanctions against Russia while working as CEO of Exxon Mobil.
Not just this but he has to be in the Russia mess up to his eyeballs. I wonder if some of these guys don't trust Trump to pardon them when the ship sinks; perhaps they prefer the safer option of seeking immunity to testify.

The kids on the other hand can rely on their pardons so they have no motivation not to perjure themselves. That likely went into the decision to interview Kushner today by Senate staff, not the Senators, not under oath* and not in public. Better to try to trip Kushner up if his guard is down.

*He may testify under oath before the House tomorrow.

As for Sessions, it certainly looks like the actual plan here is, Trump needs an AG puppet and he's not getting one at the moment. I see no reason for Sessions to accommodate Trump with a resignation but I have no idea how Sessions sees it.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is a wicked web they've weaved.

I don't know how any of them can stand to be around the man, whose only concern seems to be for himself.

If Tillerson resigns, Trump just nominates someone else, right? Can Trump remove Sessions since he's po'd at him?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
According to Rachel Maddow tonight, Trump may be waiting to fire Sessions until the Senate is in recess so he can install someone without a confirmation hearing.

And in related news, the new nominee to head the FBI, Chris Wray, has passed committee conformation and now needs a full Senate vote. But some of his closet skeletons are coming out. Turns out he was a Chris Christie lackey lawyer for Bridgegate. And he has his own Russian connections.

Donald Trump's new FBI director pick has Russian ties of his own
On paper, Christopher Wray appears to be an excellent choice to serve as the next FBI director. He has "impeccable" academic credentials (Yale law school) and has had a decades-long distinguished career as a federal prosecutor and high-level official in the Department of Justice. As the criminal defense lawyer for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie during the “Bridgegate” investigation, he did raise some eyebrows when it was learned that one of Christie’s “missing” cellphones mysteriously ended up in Wray’s possession, but this is unlikely to derail Wray’s confirmation.

The most troubling issue that Wray may face is the fact that his law firm — King & Spalding — represents Rosneft and Gazprom, two of Russia’s largest state-controlled oil companies.

Rosneft was prominently mentioned in the now infamous 35-page dossier prepared by former British MI6 agent Christopher Steele. The dossier claims that the CEO of Rosneft, Igor Sechin, offered candidate Donald Trump, through Trump’s campaign advisor Carter Page, a 19% stake in the company in exchange for lifting U.S. sanctions on Russia. The dossier claims that the offer was made in July while Page was in Moscow.

Rosneft is also the company that had a $500 billion oil drilling joint-venture with Exxon in 2012, when Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was Exxon’s CEO. However, the deal was nixed by President Obama in 2014, when he imposed the sanctions that crippled Russia’s ability to do business with U.S. companies. The lifting of sanctions by the Trump administration would enable Exxon to renew its joint venture agreement with Rosneft, and the law firm of King & Spalding could end up in the middle of the contract negotiations between those two companies.

TRUMP FBI PICK CHRIS WRAY WORKED ON RUSSIA CASE BUT DELETED IT FROM HIS COMPANY BIO Unmentioned connection to Russia, sound familiar?

Are all these guys tied to Exxon, Russian oil, money, the sanctions that are in the way of the oil money?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Sessions is the least of Trump's problems.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/20/trum...finances-apart-from-russia-investigation.html

Talk about tempting a bull with a red cape.

-cb

If he were cleverer, I'd wonder if he were doing this deliberately, as a diversion, like that rabbit telling everyone not to throw him in that there briar patch. But this is TRUMP we're talking about.

I said on Twitter, the man has probably never actually paid for anything in his life. He has an account office that takes care of that.

Trump is an extreme case, but our country is, increasingly over the past few decades, being run by a class of people who wouldn't know how to go into the grocery store to buy food for themselves, let alone deal with all the other day-to-day hassles the rest of us do.

Is it any wonder that Congress repeatedly votes to stick it to ordinary people?

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
And the tweets just keep on comin':
Attorney General Jeff Sessions has taken a VERY weak position on Hillary Clinton crimes (where are E-mails & DNC server) & Intel leakers!

That's only part of his usual unhinged morning tweet tantrum, but it's the only one, so far, about Sessioins.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Trump may be waiting to fire Sessions until the Senate is in recess so he can install someone without a confirmation hearing.

Wait, can he do that? A system that allows those kinds of shenanigans seems all kinds of wrong.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
DOJ office furniture:

ejection-seat-af-acesii.jpg

-cb

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
This is really bizarre. Trump puts in his crony Sessions, but because Sessions has a *little* respect for the way things are done he recuses himself, so Trump goes on a public rant? As if Sessions had been in some way foisted on him by someone other than himself?

I've said it before - if I were Hillary Clinton I'd keep my bags packed. Because to Trump, she's his (literal, almost) "get out of jail free" card. If the heat on him becomes too intense, I really believe he'll instruct his *new* AG to lay charges against her as a diversion. Because his own fan base (which is all he'll listen to these days) considers her the Devil.