Donald Trump Slams Jeff Sessions During NYT Interview

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've said it before - if I were Hillary Clinton I'd keep my bags packed. Because to Trump, she's his (literal, almost) "get out of jail free" card. If the heat on him becomes too intense, I really believe he'll instruct his *new* AG to lay charges against her as a diversion. Because his own fan base (which is all he'll listen to these days) considers her the Devil.

Bags packed to go where, precisely? Laying new charges against her won't do anything. She has been investigated deeply and no one has found anything. So Trump gets someone to launch another investigation. So what? It will just mean more money for the lawyers.

Article from Business Insider: 'Don't you want to save that bullet for Mueller?': Trump is reportedly asking associates if he should fire Sessions

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Bags packed to go where, precisely? Laying new charges against her won't do anything. She has been investigated deeply and no one has found anything. So Trump gets someone to launch another investigation. So what? It will just mean more money for the lawyers.

Article from Business Insider: 'Don't you want to save that bullet for Mueller?': Trump is reportedly asking associates if he should fire Sessions

Trump has shown the willingness to consider his desires equivalent of the rule of law. I don't think that Clinton could be convicted of anything in a normal court under normal conditions. The fact that Trump's legal staff hasn't done anything to even start investigating her indicates that they know she's not committed any significant offense. Even Trump, when he was basking in the initial glow of his win, "magnanimously" decided not to pursue anything.

But Trump is the original vindictive bastard. And it's clear that he sees every problem he faces as the fault of "that nasty woman." I could see in his Gotterdammerung that he'd try to throw her into the fire in the delusion that it would save him. And, well, if I were her, I'd want to be on a nice vacation somewhere else when he's searching for sacrificial victims. Even the innocent are likely to suffer when Trump is scrambling to save himself.

At best, they would throw every bit of mud they can dredge up at her. At worst, they might get into subornation of perjury because Trump thinks that what he wants to be true, must be true. If Alex Jones says she's a witch who sacrifices babies to Satan, Trump will insist that a witness who can support that be found, even if that witness speaks with a heavy Russian accent.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
According to Rachel Maddow tonight, Trump may be waiting to fire Sessions until the Senate is in recess so he can install someone without a confirmation hearing.

Wait, can he do that? A system that allows those kinds of shenanigans seems all kinds of wrong.

It's called a "recess appointment" and it's a pretty powerful tool to make an end run around Congressional scrutiny, but President P-Grabber isn't gonna to backdoor Rudy Giuliani or Chris Christie into a vacant A.G. spot because Chuck Schumer watches Rachel Maddow too.

Senate Democrats are warning they will block President Trump from trying to bypass the confirmation process by firing Attorney General Jeff Sessions and appointing a successor during the August recess.

"Let me state for the record now, before this scheme gains wings, Democrats will never go along with the recess appointment if that situation arises," Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Tuesday, amid speculation about Sessions’s future in the administration.

He added that Democrats "have some tools in our toolbox" to block Trump from a recess appointment, which would allow the president to bypass what would likely be a contentious confirmation fight.

Democrats could prevent the Senate from adjourning in mid-August, which could force Republicans to set up "pro-forma" sessions that would effectively block Trump from being able to name a successor without Senate confirmation.

A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said he didn't have any announcements on pro-forma sessions, which usually last only a few minutes, but noted that "if the Senate doesn’t adjourn, typically pro forma sessions happen every three days."

Of course, McConnell knows all about recess appointments. He spent a large part of President Obama's term blocking him from making any.

As for Jeff Sessions, he's already a Dead Man Walking. He just hasn't fallen down yet. :e2thud:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
We might be able to give 45 a little credit for doing something good: He got Jeff Sessions out of the U.S. Senate. His successor might be of a similar stripe, but doesn't have the seniority or clout that tweetybird had.

caw