• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Finally Moving Past the Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
The last couple of years were rough for me but I'm finally moving past my writer's 'block'. Just didn't have the emotional energy to write. I started going back to the coffee shop where I do my writing a couple weeks back and I'm finally getting back into writing again. I'm still distracting myself but at least I'm getting some writing done. I don't write at home since I just want to decompress from work or distract myself with watching TV. (Which is why I go to the coffee shop in the first place.) A good portion of my problem has always been the "BIC" issue. So hopefully I'll eventually get one of my two WIP finished.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! Going back to the coffee shop where you do you writing is an excellent start!

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I did a bit more writing this past Sunday than I have in a while. So I'm working my way back into focusing on writing. Wonderful thing is, I had an idea for my story this morning and made a point of writing it down before I forgot it.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! I had an idea yesterday, and I didn't write it down, and now it's gone. So you're already doing better than me. :)

Seriously, though, these little things are important. It means you aren't unconsciously sabotaging yourself. You've got control of your head, and that's an important part of writing right there. Keep it up. You can do this.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean, Cathleen. There have been plenty of times where I have an idea and don't write it down. I also have notebooks all over the place as well, just for this purpose. I like having physical notebooks so I don't have to worry about turning on a computer and saving it and then forgetting which one I have it on.

I just have to make sure the notebook with this WIP's stuff goes with me to the coffee shop where I write so I will actually ~use~ what I put down.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Got more work done on my story than I have in a long time. Still not a lot but more is better in this case. Problem was, the coffee shop was really cold due to the A/C and I didn't bring the jacket I knew I was going to need.

Right now it's basically an info dump (or at least feels that way) but I'm starting to get my MC's off their butts and finally doing some legwork. My MMC #1 really needs to step up a bit more since he's the one with the skills that will be needed later but it feels like MMC #2 is taking over a bit since he's the researcher. Unless I trim it down to just MMC#1 and the FMC.

But at least I've moved the 'threat' of the story off the MC's to someone close to them, which is a good place to start at the moment. They're 'small fries' in the eyes of the villain at the moment since the MC's have been on the fringe of the subculture's scene for some time.

Last edited:

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got a bit of a momentum going. I started to think in terms of "and then what?" while writing. It's mostly a way to lead into the next scene but that eventually adds up. And I'm starting to see some red herrings creep into the story, which is nice. I was having issues with figuring out plot but part of a plot includes the herrings and dead-end investigations. Of course, I have to make sure I don't make it a sort of Grimm fanfiction (which it's not). There are fairy tale type creatures in the world but I'm focusing on the magicians at this point.

Of course, it's only the first draft but it's at a better stage/place than it has been for years. So I'm happy.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Ended up at the coffee shop both days this weekend. Normally I just go on Sunday. But this weekend, I wasn't interested in going out anywhere but didn't want to be stuck in the house, either. Got a scene done, probably more than 1000 words. I'm beginning to worry whether the two male 'voices' sound different but I'll address that once I get this draft done and finally get into the editing stage. Good thing is, I'm starting to throw more red herrings in front of my MC's. It's a lot of talking at this stage but again, I can edit that after I finish this first draft.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Been going to the coffee shop on both Saturday and Sunday lately. I'm also getting in ~1000 words each time. Right now, I'm taking it scene by scene. I'm working on the "and then what?" connections between each scene and it seems to be working. I'm actually further along, plot-wise, than my previous attempts on this WIP. So I'll take that as a win. It helped to start off with focusing on a different 'target' than I had before. I couldn't figure out why the villain would go after the MC's and realized that maybe he actually wasn't. Now that the plot ball is rolling, I'm actually figuring out the larger plot. :lol:

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well done! JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter in a coffee shop, so you're in good company. :e2coffee:

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I actually found this coffee shop through a Meetup group for writers. We used to have meetings there on Thursday evenings but the coffee shop changed its hours during the week. (New owners, I guess.) Now they meeting on Sundays, which is actually better for me. I have more time to write and play on the internet. I would've just stayed at home and watched TV, otherwise. Although I'm not getting as much done on my crocheting. :lol:

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on fighting, and winning, over that pesky writer's block! : D

Thanks.

I think this thread is a sort of way to hold myself accountable to my writing. :lol:

JinxKing

Writerly Prince
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're getting back in the swing of things! I'm just starting to escape my block too. It's been months since I did any substantial work, but it's slowly starting to come back. I think I kickstarted it by giving myself permission to ignore my huge TBR and revisit some old favorites instead.

Proximity to coffee obviously helps, too :)

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a tea drinker but the coffee shop sells that too. And, if you stay there to drink, they have large ceramic mugs. I have them fill it as full as possible. I leave the tea bags in the mug so it's not a problem to use one bag to a big full mug. But still caffeine! They also sell some pastries, deserts, and some other food, like quiches and potato au gratin. One Sunday, they made some bacon for their potato au gratin (they sell plain as well) and we all turned our heads toward the kitchen to find out what the smell was. :lol:

JinxKing

Writerly Prince
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a tea drinker but the coffee shop sells that too. And, if you stay there to drink, they have large ceramic mugs. I have them fill it as full as possible. I leave the tea bags in the mug so it's not a problem to use one bag to a big full mug. But still caffeine! They also sell some pastries, deserts, and some other food, like quiches and potato au gratin. One Sunday, they made some bacon for their potato au gratin (they sell plain as well) and we all turned our heads toward the kitchen to find out what the smell was. :lol:

Aaaaaaannnnnd now I'm craving bacon. Urgently. :e2coffee:

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the menu's pretty limited because the main portion of the business is coffee, obviously. But the food's made on site. I rather go to this small local business (especially now since it's no longer part of a chain) than go to a Starbucks. Not that I mind Starbucks, just that this shop does offer hot food and fresh made desserts and not just packaged stuff. I try to support small local businesses if and when I can.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. This past Sunday, I found I had forgotten the flash drive with my story at home. I did do a little work, restarting a second WIP, just to keep the flow going. Most of my time was just surfing the internet and I didn't stay as long as I usually do. I left early as the road were wet in places due to snow melt and I hate driving with potential icing.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Spent a good portion of my vacation last week at the coffee shop, working on the story. I'm a bit frustrated because it's mostly talking-heads at this point, but I'm keeping on since this is the first draft. I've gotten a lot further along than I have in the past on this story so I ~am~ making progress. I'm also finding that I'm making notes (using the comments function in Word) as I"m going along. That's helping.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Grr. I'm at the point where I really need to flesh out one of the sub-points in my WIP. I need to figure out the motives of the secret society the villain's interested in joining. I have no idea if the group in general has "evil" intentions (such as selling their services to the highest bidder, summoning dangerous critters, etc.) or if they'd be horrified at the villain's real actions to gain their attention.

On the other hand, one thing I did think of was the fact they may be alarmed at finding out the MC's are looking into the group as a part of their investigations into the villain. Think of it like a company finding out that the police consider them a 'person of interest' sort of deal without really having any real connection to the crime they're being investigated for. Although they probably do have some dark little secrets that need looking into. Just not sure what they are, though.

Thankfully, I have a second WIP to work on while I'm trying to figure out the problem with the first one. The second one is a little clearer in what needs to happen - it's more of a post-apocalyptic road trip, essentially. They have an initial goal: go to point A and find person X. Then they need to go to point B and fix the problem there.

Status
Not open for further replies.