An Editing Question About Numbers

sobellejanet

Old Party Girls are more fun!
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to make this post.

I have written a novel and in one chapter refer to one character offering another character a 007, which is a type of martini. The drink name is a part of dialogue.

Do I write 007? Do I write out the numbers double O seven? Seems to me that 007 is correct but I want to make sure.

Thanks for your input.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
#1 rule - don't confuse the reader.

If I were reading about a martini and someone ordered a "007" I would instantly read that to myself as a "double-oh-seven" because of the reference.
If I saw "Double-oh-seven" written on the page, I would not immediately associate that with James Bond, because I always see it written in numbers.

Therefore, I say, use the numbers.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I usually write out the numbers in dialogue and a triple digit number in narration, and I wouldn't change it with 007. What I would do it capitalize the words. When someone says "Double O Seven" or writes 007, I think of Bond and George O'Malley (Grey's Anatomy).

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If I had read this piece of dialogue the way you've described it, I would not know what that "007" was, being ignorant about martinis. But if you said "a Bond martini" or a "007 martini", just once, I'd be clued in. Afterward, you could refer to it as a "007" with no confusion.

caw

sobellejanet

Old Party Girls are more fun!
Registered
Reaction score
Actually the dialogue between the two characters is such that one offers the other a 007. The other doesn't know what it is and the offering character explains it's half Bombay Sapphire and half Ketel One with a spritz of vermouth. My husband and his cronies drink them occasionally. Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Actually the dialogue between the two characters is such that one offers the other a 007. The other doesn't know what it is and the offering character explains it's half Bombay Sapphire and half Ketel One with a spritz of vermouth. My husband and his cronies drink them occasionally. Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it.

Okay. That would work. But the context wasn't evident in the OP.

caw

Asterism

Registered
Reaction score
If I had read this piece of dialogue the way you've described it, I would not know what that "007" was, being ignorant about martinis. But if you said "a Bond martini" or a "007 martini", just once, I'd be clued in. Afterward, you could refer to it as a "007" with no confusion.

caw

Agreed. I would also be confused. Maybe some good verb choice would help... "Pour me a 007." Or "mix me a 007. Shaken, not stirred." (or however it is a 007 comes)