Taking a breather after my nth draft? Why, hello there!

froglivers

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I finished coffee without noticing the mug was empty reading through a bunch of posts at AW, and figured, hey, might as well say my hello/how you doing?s. Get my toes wet and such.

Just another writer trying to get good at this writing gig. :hi:

Right now, I'm watching the little dog go nuts chasing flies around the house and patio as the day's revving up for a heat wave. Yes, growling at it will make the fly fall off the wall, Lily. Ah, summer, when the students are away.

I started writing seriously about 10+ years ago at the ripe old age of 29, when I realized fiction was more fun than my thesis (wow, no way :roll:) and I've been at it ever since.

Eh, one day something will get out there. This gets a bit more reasonable every year. In the meantime, no big, just chill, enjoy the process, and amuse the pooch, right?

The current project began two+ years ago, but through no fault of its own and multiple drafts, blew up into a 160K monster book of my heart. And this is YA. Yup, that's going to be a bit of wrangle getting it down to under 100K. But for now...

Cue: throwing in the towel and weeping, my GOD.

(No worries, seriously. I usually contemplate giving up between drafts, but eventually figure something out. I should get a costume for each time I have a writing breakdown, make it more dramatic. THIS IS OVER. I SHALL NEVER WRITE AGAIN! MY PEN IS BROKEN, I TELL YOU, BROKEN! Honey, can I have a G&T? And maybe a chocolate pudding? Thanks.)

Now, before I buckle down to cut out swathes and lean/mean my fourth pass,
I figured I'd cool my heels marathoning Supernatural Season 11-12, and hang out here shooting the breeze with fellow writers in the trenches.

Hope you guys are IN THE MIDDLE of something good. Such a good place to be. :Hug2:

Cheers!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

S.I. Mansson

Registered
Reaction score
*crashes through wall* I'M ALWAYS A SLUT FOR A G&T AND CHOCOLATE PUDDING. WE ARE GONNA GET ALONG FAMOUSLY.

Ah yes. Sitting at 175k words on my own YA-novel right now. The struggle is indeed real. But we will survive. Stay strong. And somehow get the damn thing under control. 😂

Welcome! Gimme five! 🖑

froglivers

Registered
Reaction score
Dude, you get a five! But i seem to have misjudged my dejection and recovery process. There's going to a bit more wading my ankles in other people's business and wondering what they're doing, and avoiding of getting back to my own. But seriously? 175k? And it doesn't just split down the middle to make two books , does it? Argh...

S.I. Mansson

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, it's a mess and no, sadly, it does not split down the middle (as they so rarely do, the pesky things). Buuuut... I think I'm starting to figure out my main problem, which might shave 50k off it, at least. Don't wanna say too much, because I haven't quite figured it out myself yet, but I'm getting there. That's one of the weird and amazing things about writing, in my opinion. The fact that you run into a problem, you stress about it, it makes you feel like all is lost and you're never gonna write again... and then you live in this problem, you let it marinate, and eventually there's this beam of light and you suddenly find a solution. It might take a shitload of time, but you usually get there in the end.

Sorry, kind of went off on a tangent there. :Soapbox:

Haha, I know all about the getting all up in other people's business to avoid your own. Procrastination FTW! :e2poke:

froglivers

Registered
Reaction score
No, it's good, it's really good. I needed to read about someone wading through, but getting through, you know?

I kind of gave up last night, again, and saw that as the little engine finally rolling backwards down the hill, and am now wandering around in a bit of a giver-upper daze, so your talk of finding a way is really great. Time, yeah? And walks, and letting the pieces slide into place on their own... it IS kind of fantastic.

Good luck, man. Happy sails and all that.
:banana::banana::banana:

S.I. Mansson

Registered
Reaction score
Right back at you! I don't believe you're done, though. That's the other thing about writing, it's not something you just quit. It keeps coming back to you.

If I may ask, do you have a beta reader? Somebody to trade ideas and discuss your writing with?

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
Hi S.I. and welcome!

Amazing about your WIP. Definitely keep writing through, that's what I always do. Living with the problem somehow seems to be the best solution. I'm currently about six weeks removed from hitting a serious wall in my WIP. Part of it was simple exhaustion as I'd written an enormous amount in a short period of time, but also I just wasn't on the right path in the story. I've had ideas on what the solution is, but it hasn't really come together yet.

Best of luck with the writing!

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Your experience sounds very similar to what many writers go through. I've only completed two novels, but both of mine started out really long and needed cutting down also. I think that will be the process for some of us. ;)