Australian Politics - Office of Home Affairs and the Section 44 Mess

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
If we're lucky they'll discover that constitutionally, no-one's allowed to sit in the parliament at all.

"Sorry, guys, looks like the last 116 years of legislation is invalid. We need to start again."

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hanson has suggested he lead an inquiry into s44.

I might have misread that. *goes to check*

ETA: It was something like that: https://twitter.com/PaulineHansonOz/status/889761122785517568
I did enjoy the responses to that. God, it would be good if it turned out she was a dual citizen of somewhere else. That's probably too much to hope for, though.

Say, do you think if we very nicely asked the government of, I dunno, the Comoros or somewhere, they'd start awarding honorary citizenships to Australian pollies?

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
A flock of birds had a balls-out brawl on our bedroom roof yesterday morning (at about 6:00am. Thanks for that, birdbrains). There was squawking and shrieking for a full 20 minutes. Mr. BF said, "It sounds like something's getting killed out there." Me: "It sounds like parliamentary question time."

What's happening with Malcom;bitcoin.ROBERTS?

Wait, is there something going on with Malcolm Roberts that I missed? (please, please, please).

The best part is, it was his Mum what did it. Or at least, he's blaming her

Ah, the Warnie Defence. It's a classic.

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
He was born in India. There's some speculation that he might be an Indian citizen.

Oh, interesting. I'm guessing he's too young for British citizenship to also be a risk there.

Fingers crossed!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
But his father was British, so that makes British citizenship a possibility. Or something. Both Independent Australia and the Australian had something about this issue.

It would be so very good if Senator Colon was buried by s44.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
It'd be wonderful.

Just did some reading. Seems unlike Tony Abbott (frex) who insisted he only has Australian citizenship, and then presented the documentation (pity), Roberts insists the same but hasn't shown any proof.

Course, even if he's found to have both British and Indian citizenship, he'll just claim there's no empirical evidence, and it's all just a NASA conspiracy anyway.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If we're lucky they'll discover that constitutionally, no-one's allowed to sit in the parliament at all.

"Sorry, guys, looks like the last 116 years of legislation is invalid. We need to start again."

Yeeeeeeah I'm not so sure that would be such a good thing...

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Oh please, oh please let this go somewhere. And please let Malcolm\\semicolon➰rObErTs go full sovereign citizen at the High Court. It'll be legendary.

Meanwhile, everyone else has excavated Canavan's background and noticed that the application for Italian citizenship happened at about the time that his dad was done for nicking $1.6 million from Nestle.

ETA: http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...m/news-story/2bdedbae431500a9f11f80f38b2bda16
🤔

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com

LOL. I came here to post that article. I especially like:

"He is choosing to believe that he was never British. He is preferring to believe that he was never British because he has no allegiance or exercised any citizenship arrangement. However they have renounced and released him of anything to do with them," [Malcolm Robert's spokesman] said.

"... There is nothing wrong or incongruent with Malcolm Roberts putting his hand up and saying as far as I'm concerned I'm not British, never was - the British government may have a different view."

Bolding mine. This is kinda the crux of the issue, yes? It doesn't matter what you believe -- what matters is reality. For example, it doesn't matter if you believe climate change is all a NASA hoax, reality will still bite you in the ass one day.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Neither Scott Ludlam or Larissa Waters believed they were dual citizens, yet Senator Colon is holding an inquiry to see whether they should be paying back their salaries. Salaries earned while they were doing a proper job in the Senate, not behaving like a whiny tinfoil-hatted drongo. (No offence to other types of drongos.)

I not only hope it bites him in the arse, I hope it bites his arse right off.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I still cannot comprehend how this nutbag is in the Senate having garnered only 77 actual votes.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I still cannot comprehend how this nutbag is in the Senate having garnered only 77 actual votes.

It's the way our senate voting system works. Enough people voted for ON in Queensland that Hanson got a full quota and the remainder spilled over to elect ;. (It's crazy I know, but at least it's better than under the old system. Now you at least know those voters intended to elect a One Nation candidate.)

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Oh, I understand how. I just don't understand hooooow.

Like, in a hair-tearing-out kinda way.