On blogging

storiesweaver

Writing Everyday
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard from many people that new writer should have a blog, but there's also those who say that writer shouldn't blog, and instead spending more time writing. I personally have no motivation to blog. Should I force myself to blog?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
The short answer is 'No. Yes. Maybe.' It's your preference balanced against your time constraints.

I'll use my silly little blog 'Blue Night' as an example. I started it five years ago because I was having a romance book published by a small press publisher, and they suggested It Would Be A Good Idea.

It was, but not necessarily for that book. I got into the habit of essays and journaling in high school, and blogging seemed a fun extension. In any given month, my blog might have a bit of personal writing promotion, a review of an old favorite book or new book I love, a sociopolitical rant, and some showcases of my new art, or reviews/analysis of other people's art (things I adore). I rarely blog more than once or twice a week, and not on a schedule. My 'real writing' has to come first, of course.

Is this a workable 'platform'? Don't know, don't care. Between thirteen and one hundred people read it each week. It's a showcase of most of the things that make me tick.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
If it is something you can maintain a passion for and consistently update with useful information for your reader, yes. If you aren't jazzed about it and it's going to fall to the wayside and discredit you later on, no.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're not supposed to blog. I think, most mean you should at least have a website.

+1 It's more of a web presence. More important for non-fic but fiction is seeing an increase in that too. On a basic level, people want to find you and see what you are working on next, sneak peaks, etc.

Don't force yourself to do anything you don't want to.