AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Chemistry: Coloured Smoke Flares & Pepper Spray Mix

Chemistry: Coloured Smoke Flares & Pepper Spray Mix

Hi, guys. Does anyone know if you're able to add maybe the food-grade pepper extract to the smoke flare composition mix (KClO3 etc)? Or maybe even the homemade composition of pepper spray (peppers soaked in alcohol, then boiled etc). I know there's pepper spray grenades etc, but I need something (fictionally) that lasts the length/is hidden in a smoke flare. Or would you need something like potassium nitrate instead to burn at higher temp etc if it's changed from the likes of dye to anything to do with the pepper mix?

Thank you so much for any help.

Author Website: Jack L. Pyke
    Reviews: Goodreads

practical experience, FTW
    Pepper spray and CS (Chemical Smoke) grenades are two different animals. Pepper spray is a pepper based liquid irritant delivered in an aerosol, and CS is generated in a thermal reaction. I don't think it would work to try to deliver pepper spray in a flare, although I suppose you could package a CS grenade in the form of a flare, if that's what you need. CS is some pretty noxious stuff. I'll take pepper spray over it any day of the week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_gas

Quote Originally Posted by Al X. View Post
    I don't think it would work to try to deliver pepper spray in a flare
    Yup. The most you might achieve is some slightly noxious smoke - the temperature in the flare is going to destroy the pepper spray material. I would expect the same problem with CS.
    Hell Of A Deal on AmazonUK AmazonUS
    Writing On The Edge
    of Bodmin Moor - a blog of life and writing on a small farm.

Hmmm, looks like just running with the likes of tear gas and smoke flares as separate devices, then! Thank you for answering, guys!! Helps in huge ways.

Author Website: Jack L. Pyke
    Reviews: Goodreads

Tending bar by the litterbox. Thomas Vail's Avatar
    You might not be able to combine a flare and pepper extract, but designing a flare with colored smoke designed to be a debilitating irritant is not hard to do either.

Ex everything; trying something new DrDoc's Avatar
    4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
    A flare coated by a thin steel casing could protect a pepper compound on the outside of the casing and it could evaporate off during the burning process. The difficulity would be getting oxygen to the flare as it burns down into the steel tube.
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by.