• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Short Story Beta Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
Hi there. So I have two short stories that need beta-ing, the wordcount of both put together not exceeding 30K.

One is difficult to describe without going into spoilers. It's the story of Paul, a young man trapped within a world of which he knows no escape. It's a symbolic, psychological thriller, about 7,200 words.

The other....is also difficult to describe without spoilers. Mira McKell is a naive young college student, one who finds herself within a fantasy world for no particular reason. Only things are not as simple as they seem, and real life is far from the simplistic fantasy that Mira craves. Fantasy/sci-fi, ~21K.

...It's easy to see that I'm stuck on the whole idea of being trapped in an alternate universe, now that I've written out the descriptions of both stories like this. However, the two stories are very different, and have no relation to one another. If you like weird, character-study stories, then these are the betas for you.

I'm definitely willing to swap, even if your manuscript is longer than my stories.

Paula Davids

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Nerdilydone,
I am quite partial to psy-fi – fairly widely read in the genre in fact. I am working on a gritty urban fantasy novella series and would be delighted to do some swapping. Perhaps you could PM me if you would like to explore possibilities.
Paula

Enoise

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Nerdilydone,
I'd love to read your psychological thriller. I have a 7k fantasy fiction and would be willing to swap. It's about sea dwellers.
Please PM me if interested.
Thank you.
Enoise

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
That's cool. I sent you a pm.

Sorry, Paula, but you indicated that you like raunchy stuff in your intro thread, and well, I'm not really into that. You should swap with someone who can appreciate your work more.

Okay, so I have two beta-ers for the 7K. Anybody wanna get the 21K story? That one is actually in a more highly-polished state, and I would like to submit it to a magazine soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.