Primary Documents on the Salem Witch Trials, absolutely fascinating, CSPAN BookTV

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Salem Witch Trials Legal Documents Project
Salem Witch Trials Legal Documents Project Historian Margo Burns discussed primary sources from the Salem Witch Trials compiled in a book project titled Records of the Salem Witch-Hunt. Twelve people worked for ten years to complete the book, a chronological record of legal documents from the trials, many newly transcribed by the team’s six linguists. This presentation was part of an all-day seminar on the legacy of the Witch Trials.

You can stream it free, well worth the hour. I found it especially interesting when the author giving the presentation, Margo Burns, discussed the 'additions' to the historical account which were added at various times in history despite the fact said accounts were not in any of the original documents.

(Apologies if this isn't the right sub-forum for this.)

Last edited:

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
MaeZe, I just found this and want to say thanks for the link! I worked in Salem for 6 years and have been there probably a thousand times and find the witch trials absolutely fascinating. They have the actual documents on display, the most chilling being the signed death warrants. They're kept behind small black curtains to preserve them. It was an odd sensation seeing those antique documents with the faded writing.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Will check those out--I have a lot of curiosity since my family was mixed up in the mess. 'Martha Sprague alias Tyler,' the 16-year-old stepdaughter of my however-many-greats-grandfather Moses Tyler, was an accuser--and even accused some of Moses' family.

There seems to be a tendency for people to think Moses put her up to it, but to me the complicated family dynamic suggests another explanation: Martha was the eldest of 3 or 4 sisters when her mother married Moses, who had no daughters but something like 9 sons (although probably some had started their own households by then). Her mother got pregnant fairly quickly, so I'm guessing a lot of weight fell on Martha to look after the house, her younger sisters, her stepbrothers, and probably even the new baby when it arrived. There could well have been a lot of sexual tension for a girl her age moving into a houseful of males, several her age or older.

So I'm thinking Martha was under a lot of pressure, was possibly filled with resentment, and needed to feel important. Accusing Moses' relatives could have been a way of forcing him to choose sides between his old and new families.

Sorry for the derail, but I've got it in my head to maybe someday write a story about Martha, so I mull it over from time to time.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
So I'm thinking Martha was under a lot of pressure, was possibly filled with resentment, and needed to feel important. Accusing Moses' relatives could have been a way of forcing him to choose sides between his old and new families.

Sorry for the derail, but I've got it in my head to maybe someday write a story about Martha, so I mull it over from time to time.

I hope you do. I'd totally read it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MaeZe, I just found this and want to say thanks for the link! I worked in Salem for 6 years and have been there probably a thousand times and find the witch trials absolutely fascinating. They have the actual documents on display, the most chilling being the signed death warrants. They're kept behind small black curtains to preserve them. It was an odd sensation seeing those antique documents with the faded writing.

You're welcome and that is an interesting account. My uncle recovered some papers from the trash that included a bill of sale for a slave. One can't help but feel an emotional reaction to such documents.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will check those out--I have a lot of curiosity since my family was mixed up in the mess. 'Martha Sprague alias Tyler,' the 16-year-old stepdaughter of my however-many-greats-grandfather Moses Tyler, was an accuser--and even accused some of Moses' family.

There seems to be a tendency for people to think Moses put her up to it, but to me the complicated family dynamic suggests another explanation: Martha was the eldest of 3 or 4 sisters when her mother married Moses, who had no daughters but something like 9 sons (although probably some had started their own households by then). Her mother got pregnant fairly quickly, so I'm guessing a lot of weight fell on Martha to look after the house, her younger sisters, her stepbrothers, and probably even the new baby when it arrived. There could well have been a lot of sexual tension for a girl her age moving into a houseful of males, several her age or older.

That is great story material. There are gender roles in my WIP that make for an imbalance in the workload in families that don't have gender balance among the offspring. Adding the issues that come from merging families of otherwise unrelated teens and the potential conflict would be tremendous.