Recommended female fantasy writers?

HaHs

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to read more fantasy to help build inspiration as I set about writing something of my own - at the minute I'm reading George R. R. Martin and Patrick Rothfuss but I'd really like to delve into some female writers I can support and read some fantasy novels with female protagonists. All recommendations are welcome and appreciated!

[EDIT]: Long list of names has been put together in post number 38!

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Patricia McKillip
Robin McKinley
Seanan McGuire
Jo Walton (writes both SF and F)
C. J. Cherryh (she writes SF and F)
Lois McMasters Bujold (both SF and F)
Laura Anne Gilman

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ursula K. Le Guin

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Throwin' a few random ones in the ring:

Elizabeth Bear - Her Range of Ghosts is set in a world inspired by Asian, particularly Mongolian, cultures, and there's a strong woman in a starring role.

Kristen Britain - The Green Rider series has a woman MC, and is set in a nicely-realized fantasy world.

Lindsay Buroker - I've enjoyed most everything of hers I've read. Worth a look. Tends to women MCs, who tend to be strong.

Elizabeth Haydon - The Symphony of Ages series creates an entire fantasy world, not just a continent-and-coastline land. (I got a little tired of some of the angsting by the leads, but it's still a very impressive work of worldbuilding.) The woman lead can be a bit of a dunderhead on some levels, though...

Robin Hobb - The Farseer universe encompasses numerous works, with some strong women.

Mercedes Lackey - One of the big names in fantasy for many years, still writing with a new YA series. Some strong women.

Naomi Novik - Uprooted stars a reasonably competent lady MC. (Novik's Temeraire series is excellent alt-history, though the women aren't leads.)

Catheryne M. Valente - Somewhat surreal at times, but interesting and original tales.

If you're willing to look at YA and MG titles, add Tamora Pierce, K. A. (Katherine) Applegate, Patricia C. Wrede, and Jane Yolen to the list. And Graceling, by Kristen Cashore.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Lois McMaster Bujold's Paladin of Souls is her absolutely best work, IMO. Also a Hugo winner. You don't have to read Curse of Chalion* first to enjoy it, but Paladin has spoilers for Chalion of you don't. (Chalion is also very, very, very good.) Then there are the Penric novellas, set in the same universe but different country, time and characters. Start with Penric's Demon*.

The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin. Hugo winner.

I have heard Kate Elliot's books are epic and good, but have not read them yet.

Among Others (Hugo winner) and Lifeload by Jo Walton are quiet fantasies.

Swordspoint* and Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner

Daughter of Mystery, Mystic Marriage and Mother of Souls by Heather Rose Jones

Pick a Diana Wynne Jones, any Diana Wynne Jones, though I like The Merlin Conspiracy, Dark Lord of Derkholm* and Year of the Gryphon best.

The River of Souls books by Beth Bernobich

The Charm of Magpies** books by K J Charles

*Male protagonist

**Two male protagonists and also hot sex

Last edited:

Stephen Palmer

Registered
Reaction score
some YA suggestions, but highly readable by adults -

Ann Halam (aka Gwyneth Jones)
Frances Hardinge
Sally Gardner

froglivers

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone on everyone else's list, double! I was going yuh-huh, right o, omg I love her too! all the way down.

For the YA in the mix, Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows/ The Crooked Kingdom duology, Rainbow Rowell's Carry On (and its contemporary sister, Fangirl, on loving fantasy and writing fic about it), and Sarah Rees Brennan's novella-ish short story "Wings in the Morning", the sequel to In Other Lands (which is just coming out now-- but a version of which used to be online). I have the anthology it's in, Monstrous Affections (ed. Kelly LInk et.) and every story in it is like eating bonbons out of a fancy chocolate box. :partyguy:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Rachel Neumeier & Stina Liecht are recent authors writing pretty kick-ass fantasy series right now. Kelly Link is weird AF, and I'm quite into Francis Hardinge, Face Like Glass was my fav.

HaHs

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all SO much! I now have a long list of recommendations to look into and hopefully discover some new favourite authors and stories along the way. I'm looking for absolutely anything fantasy (as I'm trying to broaden my experience of the genre) and you've given me more than enough to be getting on with. Much appreciation!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't see Martha Wells on the list of fine recommendations, so adding her. I particularly love her Raksura series, the first book of which is "The Cloud Roads".

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Lots of good recommendations! (And thank you, Ultra, for mentioning mine.)

Nnedi Okorafor is on my auto-buy list. She writes MG fantasy, epic fantasy, SF, and much more.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Gail Carriger
Tanith Lee
Jo Graham
Carrie Vaughn or vaughan
Nancy Springer
c.J Cherryh
C.L. Moore
Leigh Brackett
Katherine Kurtz
Ursula Le Guin
Andre Norton

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I second Michelle West (specifically her Hunter Lord duology) and Lynn Flewelling (her Nightrunners series which has a good number of strong female characters as well).

Also suggest Patricia Briggs and Elizabeth Moon.