The Hardest Thing to Write

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
For me, the hardest thing to write isn't a story at all.

It's the sympathy/condolence message you write in a card. Sometimes I feel like I pressure myself unnecessarily to write something moving or profound, as if simple words could take away the grief. I know that's not true obviously, but I find it a bit ironic I have such a hard time articulating, even when it's someone I don't know personally.

One of my drivers lost his dad on Thursday, and he was basically stranded thousands of miles away from his family, unable to get a flight back home on such short notice. I can't imagine how he feels right now. The card I picked up is nice without being overly sappy, but when I try to think of a personal message to add, the words don't come.

This is why I usually just sign cards, honestly. I almost never write anything in them.

Anyone else have this difficulty when it comes to writing to someone?

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
I do. I'm not so good at expressing the emotions. For cards like that, I usually end up with something like "Let me know if there's anything I can do for you."

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I have had to write something like this way too many times. If I knew the deceased, I write about one of my favorite memories of them. If I didn't know the deceased, but I know the bereaved pretty well, I write about a time the bereaved spoke or shared something about the deceased. If I didn't know the deceased and I only know the bereaved a little bit, I write something like "Peace to you and your family in this difficult time."

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever you decide to do, please don't write Sorry for your loss. Reminding someone of their loss if the last think you want to do in that situation. Write something uplifting. I'm praying for you. I'm thinking of you at this difficult time. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. Something like that.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually end up wishing the bereaved comfort and strength, especially if I didn't know their loved one.

ManWithTheMetalArm

Has One Badass Arm
Registered
Reaction score
For me, one of the hardest things is conveying emotions along with dialog. I used to do the whole "she said, annoyed" purple prose thing, but I've thankfully had that beaten out of my head with a giant novelty red pen. Honestly, it's a challenge to make sure the reader knows what the characters are feeling without me having to directly state it.

As for writing to someone, I usually just do something like "my condolences" or something like that. It's hard to make it look like you're not just saying it to make them feel better, but it's also hard not to say, "that's rough, buddy."

Last edited: