• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

When you get blocked do you push through it or move on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
I exhaust myself approaching it from every conceivable angle and only then do I decide if it's worth flinging myself at any longer. After I've done my thorough observation of the shape I'm struggling to make fit into the puzzle, the bridge or tunnel I'm trying to manifest, I get a feeling and see flickers like a fire behind an iceblock or something if I sense it is worth working on, if not I move on and file it away just in case anything comes later that gives it value enough to attract me back there. There's no time limit on sunken or collapsed ideas after all, they'll always be there to remain limp and lonely or to inflate and chirp when some obscure stream of your energy connects back to them.

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
The only times I've been blocked, it was when we had deaths in the family.

I always remind myself to be kind to my creative self. I imagine the muse as a small child who has unfettered imagination and is very playful. Scolding or punishing it won't help.

I go and exhaust myself physically, read a lot of books that take me away from my situation, or do some other creative thing like baking or sketching-- I'm not an expert at either, but they relax me.

I try and do timed writing, and gradually coax myself back into my writing routine.

But that's just me, and different writers do it differently.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
I do my best to bull through it by figuring out what's wrong then working past it. Sometimes, it's an issue with plot or a certain part of dialogue and, other-times, it's just me needing a break (I'm not one for taking them, but I will when I especially get bogged down). Lately, I'm finding that my Wall Blocks are caused from general depression - there is no way to get past this one without taking a break to let it pass.

hgsylvan

Registered
Reaction score
I try not to stress out too much and stay in an open frame of mind. I'll go for a walk, or a drive (just be careful) listen to music, read something that is very inspiring to me, or watch something that inspires me. And I keep writing. I don't want to use the term push through, I just let my mind take me where ever it needs to go with no judgement. And eventually I get moving. And all of a sudden I am writing again. I try not to put too many restrictions or pressure on myself- i find that makes it worse. I hope you work free from it soon. Good Luck

Adirahalcyon

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed that whenever I get "blocked" it's because I'm writing the wrong thing or idea. If I can't continue my current project at the moment, I'll move on to something else that's been on my mind for a while and eventually I manage to continue the thing I was blocked on.

LucindaLynx

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I may have to turn my back on a project if some scene just does not work. Or then I just find a detour. But finding it is far from easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.