Where to start a detective story

writbeyondmeasure

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
It's actually an MG detective story but I thought the question applies to adult books too, so I hope you don't mind me posting here.

I've written a draft and I intend for it to be the first of a series. The story starts when the MC has already been a detective for a few years because I thought showing their training etc. would be boring so I wanted the story to start when they were already experienced. This draft has one case which MC solves.

There are a few details to do with how my MC became a detective which are important to the story. I had fed those details in as backstory, but my concern is I've got too much backstory. So I've written a NEW chapter one and I am now planning to write some more chapters showing how MC becomes a detective. BUT the original draft's events happen 2 years after MC becomes a detective.

There are a few ways I can proceed and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or similar experiences.
1) Have two cases to solve in the first book and maybe split it into part 1&2 with "Two years later" written between each part.
2) Don't show MCs first case but show how they became a detective and then skip forward two years. My problem with this is it's kind of a false start.
3) Turn the case from my original draft into the first case which would be the easiest choice but runs the risk of MC being a little Mary Sue-ish by being so good on their first case.
4) write a whole new first book with origin story (I'd rather not do this)

The end of my original case sets up the 2nd book so it is important to include.

I hope this makes sense

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
How old is the character who has been a detective for years?

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
They become a detective at 10. The case in the original draft occurs when they are 12. I do give reasons why a 10 year old is allowed to become a detective.

Wait, do you mean she's an official detective, as opposed to being an amateur sleuth?

writbeyondmeasure

Registered
Reaction score
A detective with a secret organisation of time-travelling detectives. I guess she's an amateur sleuth though.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Cool. Just checking it's not a contemp, coz that'd probably push suspension-of-disbelief a bit too far. :)

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
In an adult book, I'd suggest interspersing flash-back chapters, so the backstory doesn't come at a lump at the beginning or interrupt the flow of real-time chapters. I don't remember how sophisticated my mid-grade companions' reading was (although I think I was "shopping" in the adult section of the library), so I can't say whether flash-back chapters work as a general rule for that age group.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Start with the crime (or representation thereof, ex: blood trail, a missing jewel or painting), then _show_ me why your sleuth is either personally connected to the crime/criminal or what sort of special abilities your sleuth has to solve _that_ crime. In other word, why _your_sleuth will eventually solve the crime and not any other investigator.

Remember Columbo? First the crime, then enters Columbo. First thing he does is either ask something odd to the police staff there (ex: analyze the contents of the ashtray) or picks up a clue nobody else had. At 25% of the show, Columbo already knows who did it, but not how nor why. Between the 50% to 75% mark, he knows why, but not how. It shows how bad-ass good this sleuth really is.

-cb

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
In an adult book, I'd suggest interspersing flash-back chapters, so the backstory doesn't come at a lump at the beginning or interrupt the flow of real-time chapters. I don't remember how sophisticated my mid-grade companions' reading was (although I think I was "shopping" in the adult section of the library), so I can't say whether flash-back chapters work as a general rule for that age group.

That is exactly what I do, and normally the prologue or the first chapter starts with a flash back of the detective's prior history going back twenty years when he was an MI officer.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
This may be off the wall. Travis McGee was not really young and not an official detective, but he did do detective work. He's usually laid back at home when something pops up. A job, a man fainting, a man with a gun, like that. I love JDM style.