• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What do you consider beautiful prose?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've read a lot of prose that's considered beautiful, and it usually does nothing for me. I can think, Oh, that was pretty. But if I'm not engaged by the story, I don't care about the prose.

The other way around, not so much. I'm pretty lenient on prose, but if it's awful, that will keep me from enjoying the story.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I admire the evocative use of metaphor or simile; done with a deft touch, it can add so much depth to a story. It doesn't have to be purple to be effective.

One example that comes to mind which I just jotted down recently is from Mary Renault's The Friendly Young Ladies, when a woman spots a dear friend of hers across a theater aisle:

A little star of pleasure and happiness shot up within her and hung for a moment like a rocket at the top of its trajectory, sharpening the edges of things with light. She rose in her seat to make her way round to him, then stopped and sat down again, while the rocket turned earthward, diminished to a fading point, and went out.

That's incredibly rich and evocative, and (trust me) that much the more so in its context, for the incremental way in which it exposes an emotion and advances the book toward its climax.

I am always struck by writers with the ability to give emotions that kind of physicality. I keep examples of them to hand because it's what I want to learn to do. (And when I feel that I have managed it myself, I bust open with delight.)

Last edited:

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
To me good prose is prose I definitely notice.
The 'transparent writing' thing is to me a bit like saying 'in good music you shouldn't hear the separate instruments--you should barely even hear the overall melody--you should instead be submerged into the mood and atmosphere'.
I like hearing the instruments myself, and this detracts neither from the enjoyment of the overall melody, nor from experiencing the mood and atmosphere.
In the densely populated territory of pop music--the instruments--real or computerized--can indeed be 'invisible', without lowering what enjoyment one can glean from the song. Likewise with some types of ambient music.
There are plenty of other musical genres and subgenres, however, in which hearing the instruments is definitely a must. Broadly speaking, I think the same can be said of literature. One reads neither Tolstoy, nor Fitzgerald, nor Bradbury, nor Ballard, nor Updike, nor Amis, nor Carre, nor Koontz for 'transparent prose'.

Last edited:

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
To me good prose is prose I definitely notice.
The 'transparent writing' thing is to me a bit like saying 'in good music you shouldn't hear the separate instruments--you should barely even hear the overall melody--you should instead be submerged into the mood and atmosphere'.
I like hearing the instruments myself, and this detracts neither from the enjoyment of the overall melody, nor from experiencing the mood and atmosphere.
In the densely populated territory of pop music--the instruments--real or computerized--can indeed be 'invisible', without lowering what enjoyment one can glean from the song. Likewise with some types of ambient music.
There are plenty of other musical genres and subgenres, however, in which hearing the instruments is definitely a must. Broadly speaking, I think the same can be said of literature. One reads neither Tolstoy, nor Fitzgerald, nor Bradbury, nor Ballard, nor Updike, nor Amis, nor Carre, nor Koontz for 'transparent prose'.

Music is different, I'd say. A sizable portion of readers prefer invisible prose (not as true of anything related to musical instruments).

In stories, there's more than the prose to be enjoyed - there are characters and storyline and emotions and hidden truths, and on and on. For some readers, noticeable prose gets in the way of submerging themselves in the story. It's just a matter of preference whether readers want prose they notice or invisible prose (or they enjoy both), and there's no right or wrong preference. (ETA: Not that you're saying there is a right or wrong, just making the point.)

CJ

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Don't you think a lot of it depends on whether it's literary or genre? My literary friends love it when the prose is so beautiful that it stops them in their tracks, and they re-read it almost as if it were poetry. In genre, taking a reader out of the story for the sake of a bit of beautiful prose might be the kiss of death.

Not for this reader.

Enoise

Registered
Reaction score
When I read beautiful prose, I immediately realize it's beautiful and I have no problem with that. I love words. I love language. I prefer to enjoy the journey of a story than its aftermath. That's why I don't care much how a story ends, providing the writer was able to evoke the right emotions in me during my course of reading, with the right words and combinations. And that's what, to me, is beautiful. Though some times, I also choose to read non beautiful proses to see what's like at both sides of the line, and some are still enjoyable, but I know I wouldn't like to write a piece like that.

Reaction score
Beautiful prose makes me stop, read it again, and then be ticked off I couldn't write anything as half as good.

divine-intestine

Hardened drinker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful prose is like eating yogurt. There are so many different brands and flavours, and they all taste differently. Some flavours are smooth and fill your mouth in a pleasant way, and then the aftertaste remains to remind you that you've just eaten something incredibly tasty. Then you have the lumpy yogurt with bits and pieces that are included for no good reason and just taste like mush. The texture is rough and you can bet your bottom dollar that the yogurt will cost a fortune, too.

Guess what I'm eating now btw . . . :Sun:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful prose is the prose I don't notice until I've read it, or at least been reading it a while. It's prose that just works, for me as reader. Prose I don't stumble over, or wish it could somehow be less clumsy. I love great writers of clean, clear, energetic narrative (James M. Cain, John D. MacDonald come to mind), as well as those who can spin an enticingly glittering web (Gabriel García Marquez, even in translation), and those in between, who just know in their bone marrow how to narrate a story (Willa Cather, John Steinbeck, Ray Bradbury).

caw

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this thread for a couple of days now and how the word 'beautiful' when applied to writing can be interpreted or misread in so many ways. I was thinking of something Virginia Woolf said in her letters to Ethel Smyth after the publication of her feminist Three Guineas, that she would rather not be praised for the beauty of her writing if the substance was to be ignored, that she would rather be thought of as an ugly writer but an honest one.

Does style mean more than substance? Is writing at its best when it is 'invisible' or transparent, when it draws no attention to itself?

I read for the freshness of observation, to be surprised or enchanted by originality or unexpected connections. I like lyric poetic moments in fiction, right across genre. I like speed and economy too, the sense of unimpeded narrative. Compelling voice are beautiful. And there's truthfulness too, the feeling of recognition: yes, this is what it is like, this is what it feels like.

And there are moments when a fiction sounds too charming to be true, when the descriptions, pretty as they are, get in the way of the story, when I feel distrustful of rhetoric. I'm not persuaded. Reading older fiction and suddenly and uncomfortably aware of the sexism under that fine polished surface (like watching a James Bond film from the 1960s). Other times too, when I'm sitting with writing that sounds clumsy and 'ugly' but I feel something really important is being said. Writing that comes from developing countries outside the West, reading awkward translations, dialect, or fractured and deliberately wrenched-apart language. What may in time (like the work of James Joyce or Gertrude Stein or Leonora Carrington) come to be considered beautiful.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I do'nt think writing is invisible to me no matter what style it's in.

But I prefer writing which can walk companionably next to you to explain itself and the world it's created, rather than constantly obscuring your view of what's around.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm on my own here, but I kinda hate 'beautiful' prose. To me, it's all about the story and the characters. I don't give a crap for pretty writing, as long as you make me feel something for the characters, and make me anxious to find out what happens next. I like workmanlike prose that gets the job done economically and efficiently. That's not to say I don't enjoy imagery and description, or a clever turn of phrase, but it has to serve the story. When it's just there for the sake of style and artistic flourish, I get bored and impatient.

Story story story. I won't remember your prose even if it's the most poetic and eloquent configuration of words on a page since Shakespeare first raised his quill. But if you give me a fantastic story with vivid characters, I'll carry that with me for the rest of my days.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
For me, attractive prose has a lot to do with rhythm and flow. I admire writers, even if their prose is relatively lean and spare, who can make the rhythm and pattern work with the tone and mood. Sometimes it is appropriate, imo, to leave an "extra" word in, if it makes the sentence flow better or evokes a particular attitude or mood.

I also enjoy apt metaphors or similes that are tossed out in passing when they imbue the narrative with personality and evoke a particular emotion, whether it be sadness, humor, or passion.

However as Kallithrix said, for me, it has to serve the story, not drown it. Writers who spend too much time describing just how the ice is sparkling in the moonlight (when it really doesn't make any sense for anyone to pause and take note a detail like this at that moment in time) tend to bore me. I don't need page-long description of a winter scene to feel the cold with my own surrogate senses. I also tend to get impatient with authors who take a long time to tell me something, the ones who are using lots of descriptive language but actually aren't using it in service of moving a scene forward. Too many stationary snapshots bog a story down, imo.

Exceptions always being when the voice of the piece makes even the long asides interesting or relevant to the personality of the narrator or pov character. So maybe for me, the thing that makes writing emotionally compelling (aside from rhythm and flow) is voice. And an interesting voice doesn't have to be pretty. I have read and enjoyed books, however, that others thought were too flowery or laden with description, so maybe it really is voice and personality for me.

It's really hard to explain when writing that some would call pretty works for me, but I know it when I see it :p I tend to remember characters and stories better (even then, plot details will slip away with time) more than particular turns of phrase. When I remember exact wording, it's usually because it made me feel something that brought me closer to the story.

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The question asked in the original post is "what do you consider beautiful prose," which is a different question from "what do you consider effective prose," although for many readers there might be some overlap between the two - and for other readers, there might be no overlap at all. So it's important to define your terms, I think.

I'm relatively new to AW, and one thing that has surprised me is how discussions like this go on with relatively few examples. Perhaps the "respect your fellow writers" rule - which is an excellent rule - makes people hesitant to point out examples of things that don't work for them or styles they do not care for; but I am also not seeing a lot of specific examples of what people do consider beautiful. I think it would help a lot to define terms; not everyone has read everything, of course, so I won't necessarily be familiar with whatever other people name as their examples of this or that, but it can at least provide some kind of metric for what we are talking about.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Well, that's because the example falls flat if others haven't read that particular book.

Besides, there's got to be some kind of limit for how many times I can answer a thread with "gene Wolfe" before people start rolling their eyes :p

But since you twisted my arm... Gene Wolfe.

My heart wants to shout "Jane Eyre" too, but I suspect that's more due to my enjoyment of the book.

I think a great book can rewritten with only workman prose (Ender's Game springs to mind for me, since you want examples). But I do not think you can craft beautiful prose without writing a good book by default. That kind of skill goes hand in hand.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do I consider beautiful prose? This to me is beautiful. It's an excerpt from an Alice Hoffman book, who I consider to be the Queen of prose :)

At night, Aurora and I shared a room. Aurora slept without blankets or pillows, her pale hair streaming. Once or twice I had awoken to spy her curled up on the floor with her little dog. As she dreamed, white moths hovered above her, more drawn to her than they were to the moon or to the lantern my father kept on the porch, a beacon that signaled to anyone who might lose his way in the woods.

This is just one of many examples, all of her works flow like this. Usually the majority of her works are in 3rd pov not first, but this book was for middle grade/young readers I believe, but it's a shining example of what I love.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's because the example falls flat if others haven't read that particular book.

I think Lakey meant actual excerpts, not just book titles. Though I could be wrong.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I think Lakey meant actual excerpts, not just book titles. Though I could be wrong.

Excerpts would be great; I offered one up thread because I happened to have it handy. But really, even just naming titles and authors (which some have also done) is better than nothing, because it provides some metric for what is in your head when you think of "beautiful". And of course not everyone will have read the thing you offer up as an example - I acknowledged that - but some folks might.

So, here are some more examples that come to mind - and now I do not have excerpts to hand so I won't offer them - since I am the one asserting that examples are more useful than just making assertions about beauty.

Consider Lawrence Durrell, who is generally said to write gorgeously. I read the entire Alexandria Quartet and indeed did find his way of describing the city and the natural landscapes around it remarkably lovely. But I cringed right and left at his juvenile characterizations of women. So do I find Durrell's writing beautiful? Maybe for some definitions of beautiful. I didn't enjoy reading him. I might enjoy analyzing his sentence structure and use of language, though, on some carefully selected excerpts. But the beauty of his writing doesn't get in the way of the enjoyment for me - it's not overly purple in a distracting way. What gets in the way of the enjoyment is something else, something in the way he conceptualizes women.

Another example: I read some Djuna Barnes earlier this year, a modernist, a high expressionist, a favorite of T.S. Eliot. I found her writing incredibly beautiful and at the same time almost impenetrable. It was more like listening to music than reading, in the sense that the passages evoked emotions even when I couldn't follow the thread of the narrative. There was a whole sequence involving circus performers at a cocktail party and, later, characters attending a circus and falling in love there. Was the circus real, or was it a metaphor? I don't know, and I almost don't care, because I'm not sure it matters. Barnes is painting ideas, to the extent that the narrative sequence is not of prime importance. But it is not always easy to read. I think one could argue that Barnes is a case of beauty getting in the way of story; one could argue the other way, too.

Then on the other end of the spectrum: Shirley Jackson, who awes me with straightforwardness. There is nothing flashy at all; her prose is incisive and evocative and moody. I find beauty in that deceptive simplicity. It's beautiful because it is unadorned and stunningly effective. But that plainness is not the absence of richness. She's never just telling a story, although you could certainly read her that way if you want to. The layers of meaning are there, and in a sense the prose is getting out of the way to expose them.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The idea that florid purple descriptions = beautiful prose is bizarre to me. That feels like a straw man argument you're setting up.

Prose doesn't have to be florid or purple to call attention to itself or to pull me out a story. And one person's purpose is another person's lush and gorgeous anyway. There are writers I've enjoyed that others dismiss as "too purple," and vice versa, so it's pretty subjective. Even so, I don't tend to remember individual passages simply for their aesthetics.

I remember being in school, reading classic literature for English classes. From time to time, there would be a turn of phrase in a novel or story that the teacher would extol as an example of great, beautiful writing, something to strive for in our own writing. I very rarely understood what the fuss was about.

Most of the writing I remember specifically for its beauty or imagery has been in the form of poetry, or in plays, which are meant to be spoken aloud, obviously.

I've got a horrific verbatim memory, though, which might be part of the problem for me. I remember meanings far better than I do specific wording. I do remember enjoying the Flannery O'Conner stories we had to read in college classes. It was the darkness of tales like "A Good Man is Hard to Find" or "Everything that Rises Must Converge" that stuck with me, though, not the specific wording, though the way she used language undoubtedly helped establish the mood. As I said, I have a lousy memory and can't reproduce her exact wording to share here, though. Looking something up from the story, this line is a great example of her dark wit.

"She was almost ready to go, standing before the hall mirror, putting on her hat, while he, his hands behind him, appeared pinned to the door frame, waiting like Saint Sebastian for the arrows to begin piercing him."

I wouldn't call it beautiful, but it does evoke a clear image. I can also imagine how a writing group or freshman fiction class would lampoon the author's use of a "To be" verb and a filter word.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I wouldn't want to cite excerpts.

I don't think any passage stands well on its own for me. The context has to be good; the whole book has to be high quality start to finish, to count as good (I feel).

The thing and the whole of the thing.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
As an example, Lord of Light has passages that often sound like religious texts.

On its own that is bad, but in the context of the book, it is spot on. That much is objective.

I don't personally think a better sff novel has ever been written. That bit is subjective, of course!

Last edited:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
As an example, Lord of Light has passages that often sound like religious texts.

On its own that is bad, but in the context of the book, it is spot on. That much is objective.

Nah, I think you'll find that's an opinion, which is subjective too. Value judgements about almost anything are ;)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
What do I consider beautiful prose? This to me is beautiful. It's an excerpt from an Alice Hoffman book, who I consider to be the Queen of prose :)

At night, Aurora and I shared a room. Aurora slept without blankets or pillows, her pale hair streaming. Once or twice I had awoken to spy her curled up on the floor with her little dog. As she dreamed, white moths hovered above her, more drawn to her than they were to the moon or to the lantern my father kept on the porch, a beacon that signaled to anyone who might lose his way in the woods.

This is just one of many examples, all of her works flow like this. Usually the majority of her works are in 3rd pov not first, but this book was for middle grade/young readers I believe, but it's a shining example of what I love.

I agree; it's beautifully written.