Sisters in love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowSnake

Banned
Reaction score
So I went for a walk today in addis ababa today and I came up with an idea about a phone conversation with two woman, one of them is dared to make out in every corner of the city with a time limit and have to send pictures of themselves making out and show to their friends, but at some point in the story they secretly have feelings for each other. I was thinking of calling the story Bracelet because they get something as a prize which is a bracelet made of stone.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
You mean they're literally sisters? If so, you're limiting your publishing possibilities, because many publishers won't take incest stories.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Very few publishers accept incest erotica. ForbiddenFiction springs to mind, though they've tightened their submission guidelines re: short stories from new authors for the time being. Lot's Cave is another. More places take pseudo-incest (step/adopted/guardian, etc.) than actual incest, so if you were willing to tweak it, you might have more luck selling the piece.

That said, nowhere in your post do you mention publishing, so perhaps you're simply looking to talk about your story idea. You can--and should--of course write whatever suits your fancy, but keep in mind that incest is a very specific niche. Not everyone is going to be into it. Also, the scenario you described sounds more like erotica than romance, so you might have more luck posting about it in the Erotica forum here.

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
One way out of this is to make them stepsisters rather than related by blood. I havent read any but I know at one time stepbrother romance was very popular.

cpatten

Registered
Reaction score
-Lesbian fiction does a horrible job selling.
-Romance readers hate promiscuity.
-You won't be able to sell your book anywhere because of incest.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS??

Paula Davids

Banned
Reaction score
Genuine?
What if the lesbianism is ‘coming of age’ stuff and is balanced by hetero love interest and the characters are not (particularly) promiscuous? Hm… I suppose the problem is that then it is neither romance nor erotica.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Which completely flies against everything I've heard at RT Booklovers Convention for the last three or four years: readers are CLAMORING for more F/F romances.

Usually it'll be a story along of the lines of two people meet, flirt cute, find out they're siblings, romance stops, the end.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS??

I have to disagree with "lesbian fiction." It's very popular with a number of well-respected publishers specializing in LGBTQ books. Many editors at the Big 5 are on the hunt for LGBTQ fiction.

Incest? No.

writerfrenzy

Registered
Reaction score
Guys, I don't think she meant "sisters" as in, literal sisters. She said 'two women talking' so perhaps she just meant friends or colleagues?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Incest is a problem in terms of selling fiction; it's not going to sell. Neither publishers nor bookstores are going to be carrying it.

Lesbian romance does really well; you'll find publishers specifically asking for it.

This is because love is love.

Zombie threads are a definite problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.