AW Amazon Affiliate Store

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: On LGBT main character

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Tazlima View Post
    So when I see people saying, "careful not to fall into the 'message fiction' trap," I don't see people saying, "message fiction is bad," and I certainly don't see anyone saying "LBGT characters shouldn't be TOO LBGT." I see them saying, "we have the luxury of making them more than just "the gay one," so let's take advantage of that and make sure we're writing fully realized characters that are more than just their sexuality or the color of their skin.
    I actually think we agree, and it may be just how I read the comments (and the fact that I've thinking of how I deal with the sexuality of my own characters, which is definitely evolving).

I've also heard people express both desires: to have stories that are specific to queer experiences, and to have more generic stories that star queer characters. (And all variants in between, of course.) So I guess when I read people saying "Yeah...watch it" I start thinking things like "uh, nobody's ever told me to watch it when I write hetero characters" and I wonder what it is I'm suppose to watch.

So yeah, it's probably my own issues coloring my read, and my apologies for misreading anyone. (And FWIW, I'm 52.)

ETA: As I think about it, I can see how I might have interpreted the comments exactly the opposite of how they were intended.
    Last edited by lizmonster; 07-18-2017 at 02:45 AM.
    May goals:

1) Query letter for Arkhangelsk
    2) Possibly SYW Chapter 1 - DONE and here it is!
    3) May newsletter
    4) At least two blog posts
    5) Maybe do something with my short story?

Hey, I got interviewed by AbsoluteWrite!

Here are some books I wrote.
    Here's a newsletter (and public archive, for the curious-but-don't-want-to-subscribe crowd)