The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
It's fun to realize that the computer's voice in TOS is Gene Roddenberry's wife, Majel :D

- - - Updated - - -

I'm off to Buffalo this afternoon to set up my art booth for the Buffalo Scottish Festival. My weekend will be filled with the scents of haggis and the sounds of bagpipes, woohoo!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Cantinaites.

I'm polishing my novel today. Working to finish with the last bits so I can set it aside and learn how to do covers and publishing. So much to learn. Gah.

I saw an article on haggis imports earlier while on FB and here we have mentions of bagpipes...I may just have to go on youtube and play something Scottish. :)

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Cheers to lots of writing, editing, reading, hiking and sitting drinking wine after hiking. And maybe Netflix binging. And hiding in a tent somewhere for a while in the mountains.
*raises glass of tea*

Geek parents, FTW! :greenie

(And now I miss my dad. *sigh* )
I have truly been blessed. ;)

Aw.:Hug2:

[...]I do geek out on the TOS references that they allude to. And I actually like the way Jolene Blalock plays T'Pol, though I don't much like it when the camera lingers on her during decontamination scenes. That just feels desperate. I'm actually quite torn about T'Pol. On the one hand, I like the character a lot, and the friction she has with the human crew is pretty good. On the other hand, I don't like the way they objectify her with her custom uniform compared to the other crew members, and she is almost disturbingly hot, which I don't think should be emphasized in a Vulcan. It took a few episodes, but the personalities of the crew are growing on me, and the fact that they don't have stuff like energy shields, transporter technology or the Prime Directive hanging over them certainly makes for some interesting situations.
*nods* You're capturing my feelings on all points. :)

I'm still working my way through original series Star Trek... I'm on the 8th episode. :tongue Seriously, I'm such a slow watcher these days... 10 minutes here, 7 minutes there... That said, whoever it was who said that TOS doesn't hit its stride until 4 or so episodes in was bang on the money. The last few episodes have been interesting enough that I'm able to overlook (mostly) the low-fi special effects and sexism. Mostly.
I do hope you enjoy "The Trouble with Tribbles" when you get to it. I personally think it's one of the more fun and funny episodes in all of Star Trek and is definitely my favorite. :D

So yeah... Got a long way to go yet with TOS, and then I'm looking at TNG, DS9 and Enterprise. *flop* It may well be 2019 by the time I've gotten through all of that!
giphy_zps1csqy38y.gif

:greenie

It's fun to realize that the computer's voice in TOS is Gene Roddenberry's wife, Majel :D
Yes, I love that!

Good morning, Cantina. I had a little trouble getting to sleep last night due to thinking about some stressful things+a sinus headache and am a little tired this morning because of it. However, I took a decongestant which is helping with the sinuses and tea+breakfast helped me get less tired, so at least I'm not cranky. In the good news from yesterday, Michael's Craft Store was having a sale and I got new sparklies and yarn to play with. Whee! Today, I have already posted my weekly Etsy listing and now it's time for teh werdz.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I do love "The Trouble with Tribbles", but my favorite episodes from the first season were "Miri" and "Devil in the Dark".

I'd just had a story accepted for the Star Trek Corps of Engineers line that was going to feature Hortas, but Pocket cancelled the line just as I was getting ready to turn the story in. So close ... so close. :rant:

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I woke up this morning to find three separate puddles around the apartment. Three of five areas had pee in them. Ironically, one area without pee was the bathroom. Three small puddles. We went for an evening walk, they both peed, this placement and size seems almost deliberate. Maybe somebody has a UTI? I don't know anymore. Quick Google tells me Havana might have a UTI. Calling the vet tomorrow. I kind of hope this is going to cost enough I can finally make use of that damn health insurance. Probably not.

The werdz are reluctant to get going. I may need to squeeze them.

Hah! I like that!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
More sparklies uploaded to Etsy. Waiting with a friend in a doctor's office (I'm chauffeur).

Having an existential crisis at the moment, about the query Agent-sub Big Five SFF route. Too many friends and respected writers have already done that, and been undercut by the market. Latest is a friend with RH Hydra, who basically canned a great series because they didn't like the next two books and have the rights forever. Her agent can't do anything.

So if that's a realistic outcome, why am I still hung up on finding an agent? I am rethinking my publishing strategy. Big Five *can* earn orders of magnitude more than small press, but not always. My friend earned low 3 figures in 4 years with two books...with a stellar agent.

I'd love to sub directly to Tor or DAW, but again realistically that's a year wait each in the slush even if they like my work.

I have a great mms out on query, a good small press who loves it, and some pointed questions for any agent who responds in the next month.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I'm off to Buffalo this afternoon to set up my art booth for the Buffalo Scottish Festival. My weekend will be filled with the scents of haggis and the sounds of bagpipes, woohoo!

Sounds fun - enjoy! :)

Good morning, Cantina. I had a little trouble getting to sleep last night due to thinking about some stressful things+a sinus headache and am a little tired this morning because of it.

Insomnia sucks. Been dealing with that too, lately. :Hug2:

Having an existential crisis at the moment, about the query Agent-sub Big Five SFF route.

No wise advice, but I got hugs. :Hug2:

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I woke up this morning to find three separate puddles around the apartment. Three of five areas had pee in them. Ironically, one area without pee was the bathroom. Three small puddles. We went for an evening walk, they both peed, this placement and size seems almost deliberate. Maybe somebody has a UTI? I don't know anymore. Quick Google tells me Havana might have a UTI. Calling the vet tomorrow. I kind of hope this is going to cost enough I can finally make use of that damn health insurance. Probably not.
UTI or kidney stones is usually the case when da beagle has pee problems. One time when we took him to the vet for that, they had me take him outside so a vet tech could get him to pee into a ladle so they could test the pee and see what was going on. Beagle kept looking at the tech like, "What's wrong with you woman?!" But she finally managed to get the sample. Meanwhile, my mom was watching from the window and laughing so hard the people in the next examination room probably thought she was insane. :p

I hope Havana feels better soon.:Hug2:

Hah! I like that!
It's from Disney's "Meet the Robinson's." Very cute, uplifting little movie. :)

You put a map on a bed in a room with a dog. In my experience, that always results in dog atop map.
Da beagle would just run away from a map because it makes scary crinkle noises.

Morning, Cantina. I feel like I slept a little better last night, though unfortunately I got to a really sad part of the book I was reading (Anne of the Island) right before time to go to sleep, so there was a little trouble actually getting to sleep again. Thanks L.M. Montgomery, I really needed my heart ripped out right before sleep. :/

Anyway... a good thing that happened yesterday was that I got a lovely review from my most recent Etsy customer involving multicolored hearts and the word LOVE capitalized and repeated 5 times. That gave me a big smile. :D We also got some rain, so my mom's garden is happy. Today will involve the usual attempt to do the werdz, preferably with the internet off because I spent way too much time online yesterday.

Last edited:

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
You put a map on a bed in a room with a dog. In my experience, that always results in dog atop map.
And that was exactly what happened.

UTI or kidney stones is usually the case when da beagle has pee problems. One time when we took him to the vet for that, they had me take him outside so a vet tech could get him to pee into a ladle so they could test the pee and see what was going on. Beagle kept looking at the tech like, "What's wrong with you woman?!" But she finally managed to get the sample. Meanwhile, my mom was watching from the window and laughing so hard the people in the next examination room probably thought she was insane. :p

I hope Havana feels better soon.:Hug2:
I think she might already feel better. No accidents this night that I could tell, and she doesn't lick herself as incessantly, and she generally seems to pee easier, so yay for saving the vet bill!

Ah, I thought it'd be one of those.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
sharing my website more places now and already getting more hits (of course, whenever you post a site somewhere new, you get a spike in numbers from people who are curious. we'll see where they settle)

poor pups D:

Anyway... a good thing that happened yesterday was that I got a lovely review from my most recent Etsy customer involving multicolored hearts and the word LOVE capitalized and repeated 5 times. That gave me a big smile. :D

really good movie! there's a scene where he makes a big mistake and everyone tells him it was a good thing, because it meant he tried something new :cry:

awesome about the etsy review!

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
This may be a weird question, but, have any of you ever been in a mine or cavern(s) and if so, could you describe how it smelled in there? (Musty/damp/dusty/other?) I visited Luray caverns once, but it was so many years ago, I remember the sights but not the smells. In my story there's a small mine once of the characters works in. (If it helps to know, this mine was abandoned for many years due to the entrance and many of the tunnels collapsing when the people who lived in that region were attacked and driven out. Current character found it and opened it up again because he was curious and he discovered semi-precious gems in there. Mainly works in it by himself as a hobby in his spare time and has only managed to re-open a couple of small areas.) I'm just trying to add that extra layer of sensory description by mentioning how it smells.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Thank ye all for the sympathies regarding the loss of the bunny. :Hug2:

I made a map. Puppy is currently sleeping on it. That's what happens when your workspace is your bed. I need a desk.

YEHAW! :D Your conversion to the cartographical ways of world-building is complete! :'D yaknow, I'm running a D&D campaign set in the world you helped me build that one time, right? :eek: It's got bigger and deeper since you and I worked on it, but I haven't mapped them bits yet. I also finished the latest drafts of the first two sections to the point where they are actually legible in a non-shameful/awful way. Tryna make e'erything seem more growed up, tho... :s and still workin' on section three o' tha novel, it might need some liposuction when I'm done....

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
This may be a weird question, but, have any of you ever been in a mine or cavern(s) and if so, could you describe how it smelled in there? (Musty/damp/dusty/other?)

It depends on the type of cave/mine/cavern and whether or not it is inhabited. For instance, if you go into some of the caverns in Southeast Asia that have been the nesting grounds of bats for generations, then you pretty much are going to nearly die from the smell of all that accumulated guano. That is not a favorite memory of mine. Nothing prepares you for the way the smell just hits you and tries to burn out whatever oxygen is in your lungs and just replace it with Pure Foul.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
It depends on the type of cave/mine/cavern and whether or not it is inhabited. For instance, if you go into some of the caverns in Southeast Asia that have been the nesting grounds of bats for generations, then you pretty much are going to nearly die from the smell of all that accumulated guano. That is not a favorite memory of mine. Nothing prepares you for the way the smell just hits you and tries to burn out whatever oxygen is in your lungs and just replace it with Pure Foul.
In my head, this mine was only re-opened by the character only 5 years ago and he's only managed to dig out a couple small areas. Definitely not open long enough or big enough for generations of as many bats that live in those caverns you mentioned. That smell sounds...really gross, though.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, Cantina. :hi:

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend so far. :) I'm counting down the days until the two bigger kidlets return home.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
This may be a weird question, but, have any of you ever been in a mine or cavern(s) and if so, could you describe how it smelled in there? (Musty/damp/dusty/other?) I visited Luray caverns once, but it was so many years ago, I remember the sights but not the smells. In my story there's a small mine once of the characters works in. (If it helps to know, this mine was abandoned for many years due to the entrance and many of the tunnels collapsing when the people who lived in that region were attacked and driven out. Current character found it and opened it up again because he was curious and he discovered semi-precious gems in there. Mainly works in it by himself as a hobby in his spare time and has only managed to re-open a couple of small areas.) I'm just trying to add that extra layer of sensory description by mentioning how it smells.

Like Shoeless said, it'll depend. I believe bats will tend to live closer to an entrance (since they leave to feed), and guano will definitely stink up a smaller space. If the cavern is large, that might dissipate more. The air quickly cools as you go underground--or maybe conversely it gets warmer if you're in a cold climate? Less sure about that, but I do know when we go to Inner Space Caverns during the summer it's quite nice without any AC.

If there's moisture (water seeping in through rocks or even underground stream or pools), it may smell damp. Mold needs organic material to grow, so even if it's wet mold isn't necessarily going to be present. The caverns I've been in are tourist attractions that were formed by water, and they don't feel/smell dusty. It could be very different in a manufactured space like a mine that was purposely carved out.

My family has a couple of old pictures of my mom and her siblings as kids, coming out of a mine tour. It was an old salt mine, and they're all grimacing as they came out. Apparently it was awful, I think they said the air stung their eyes.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Went on a writer walkabout today. Printed out a hard copy of the first two chapters of my mil sf novel and took the red pen to them. Back home now, typing in the changes to the story. Hope to have this ready by the end of the weekend, so I can concentrate on getting the last five chapters finished by the end of the month. Then another editing round and then start shopping it around.

GAH! :gaah

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Like Shoeless said, it'll depend. I believe bats will tend to live closer to an entrance (since they leave to feed), and guano will definitely stink up a smaller space. If the cavern is large, that might dissipate more. The air quickly cools as you go underground--or maybe conversely it gets warmer if you're in a cold climate? Less sure about that, but I do know when we go to Inner Space Caverns during the summer it's quite nice without any AC.

If there's moisture (water seeping in through rocks or even underground stream or pools), it may smell damp. Mold needs organic material to grow, so even if it's wet mold isn't necessarily going to be present. The caverns I've been in are tourist attractions that were formed by water, and they don't feel/smell dusty. It could be very different in a manufactured space like a mine that was purposely carved out.

My family has a couple of old pictures of my mom and her siblings as kids, coming out of a mine tour. It was an old salt mine, and they're all grimacing as they came out. Apparently it was awful, I think they said the air stung their eyes.
Good to know. Thanks, JJ. :)

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I've been in commercialized caves (Carlsbad) and some off the maps (truly terrifying old mines in Colorado and Arizona). The dry desert mines were dusty and smelled salty. The damp ones in the Rockies smelled of minerals.
*makes note*

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone :hi:. I am happy to say I am not on fire...yet. So in the Sierra Nevada it's usually a question of when and where the fire will happen...this one started last Sunday, about a mile from my cabin. We were put on pre-evac notice pretty quick, and since I was going backcountry for work for a week I put all my important things in my car and parked it at the fire station (figure that will be the last thing to burn, right?). I hiked out today, running late because our poor packer had a mule fall off the trail (mule is ok, not severely hurt, but it took an hour and four people to pull him out of a hole), and found out just after noon that I did get evacuation orders. I'm crashing my boss's place right now cause he's in Minnesota. He has wifi :hooray:. The fire is just shy of 3,000 acres now. It's scary, though I can't help but think that I will have a job next year. Though with the amount of bull thistle I found in one of my other fire's footprint, I think I will have a job for the next several years. Acres and acres of it, the densest I've ever seen, and taller than me. I may have nightmares about it for awhile.

Caving is a hobby of mine. Mostly limestone. I don't think I would describe them as musty. There is definitely an earthy scent to them, but not like the ground after a rainstorm. Almost more like wet concrete. They're cool and have very high humidity, so can feel kinda clammy. The lava caves I've been in were dry (except for a few where I found frozen water--in the high desert in summer. They were cold air sink and absolutely freezing. Skull Cave in Lava Beds National Monument was one of those. The other was unnamed off the map) and kinda dusty. I've only been in a few mines. One was a limestone quarry, smell just like a limestone cave. Another was a barium mine, which just smelled earthy, then damp when we hit an underground lake. There were a few old gold mines I've explored, which just smelled like rock (honestly I'm not sure how to describe the smell of granite. Mineralish, I guess?).