The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Ooo, shiny Cantina. I feel underdressed and muddy. I'm glad everyone's checking in with updates and shiny projects.

Maybe writing this weekend, if I can harness the right indignation for a short story. It wants to be written but I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to write it.

Weekend art project: turning 3 miniature fiber art books into one slightly less miniature fiber art book and hanging it from a bracelet.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
New cantina eh? Are there drinks being served?

Hmmm, actually, I don't drink that much...anything alcohol free like a fruit smoothie or a sparkling water?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
New cantina eh? Are there drinks being served?

Hmmm, actually, I don't drink that much...anything alcohol free like a fruit smoothie or a sparkling water?

The Cantina will provide a beverage of choice. No alcohol required unless it's desired. :)

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
<---- gets drunk on fruit smoothies

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Um, Cantina, will someone pinch me? A partial request just turned into a full. Other than the book that sold direct to a small press, none of my queries has done as well as this one.

I has a sad. One of my all time favorite bosses is leaving Arizona to go back to New Zealand after 20 years in the US. Genius moldmaker and prop master. With whom shall I make zombie cadaver props for cheap horror flicks, now?

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Um, Cantina, will someone pinch me? A partial request just turned into a full. Other than the book that sold direct to a small press, none of my queries has done as well as this one.

Congrats. It really sounds like you're making some headway with your latest novel, you've been getting some good responses.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm being cautious and brutally realistic about it, right now. The mms has undergone massive revision since it came 'close' to two offers. last year. (I know this because the agents said so, and why.) It's only three weeks into querying this time. I'm not letting my hopes run away with me.

But thank you all for the support, and for those of you who shredded the earlier query in SYW. You helped immensely.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
My Dudeskiies! :D I have almost made a short story that is not poopy; but at this point, I need other people's eyeballs (Donations appreciated, satisfaction NOT-guaranteed, no refunds!! :p) because I'm just changing things for their own sake now, not to correct mistakes. I have some awesomesasuce Cabinmates lending me their strength of pen, but I need MOAR (pens) EYEBALLS!

This is where the Cantina can help: If you, fellow Cantina person/apparition/imaginary friend, are interested - nay willing and able to read a 743 word/2 page short story called "The Great Bear in the North" about a little (human) girl and her teddy and some bacon-hills, I would love you slightly more dearly than I already do. The deadline for this one is July 31, it's going to a Canadian contest for Canadians only, max word count 750. I'm not gonna post it in any SYW because the rules say not to do that sort of thing...

Anyone who wants to lend this bunny their time, pls to PM or reppie me with an email address you are willing to receive awesome stories at. :D

/Shameless cry for help

Man, you're supposed to use the fruit ON the tree, not on the ground around it. Fermentation, dude. Fermentation.

But what of the Wind-Fall Vegans!!!??? :'O

I has a sad. One of my all time favorite bosses is leaving Arizona to go back to New Zealand after 20 years in the US. Genius moldmaker and prop master. With whom shall I make zombie cadaver props for cheap horror flicks, now?

*Pinches Filigree* Nope, everything is in order and you are in the correct reality. You're just that awesome. :)

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Ooo, shiny Cantina. I feel underdressed and muddy.

Bet I can beat you on the muddy front today :greenie

Cantina, I have survived my first Tough Mudder!!!! :snoopy:

It was awesomesauce. Proof is on Twitter, in case you are curious. And yes, I did add a little purple to my hair for the heck of it. It goes well with the mud that is still permanently ingrained in places now.

Oh, oh, AND I managed to run through the final obstacle of lots of electrodes that will shock you with 10K volts, and I maneuvered around all of them! Score one for Winks.

Though I made up for that by getting shocked at least 20 times as I crawled in the mud through an earlier electrode field. Mostly on my bum because apparently I crawl like an inch worm and stick it up. Not cool. Not. Cool. There was a lot of squawking going on that had the other contestants laughing their butts off, but I couldn't help it.

So, all that being said, no writing was had today. I have an excuse. :p

ManWithTheMetalArm

Has One Badass Arm
Registered
Reaction score
Bet I can beat you on the muddy front today :greenie

Cantina, I have survived my first Tough Mudder!!!! :snoopy:

It was awesomesauce. Proof is on Twitter, in case you are curious. And yes, I did add a little purple to my hair for the heck of it. It goes well with the mud that is still permanently ingrained in places now.

Oh, oh, AND I managed to run through the final obstacle of lots of electrodes that will shock you with 10K volts, and I maneuvered around all of them! Score one for Winks.

Though I made up for that by getting shocked at least 20 times as I crawled in the mud through an earlier electrode field. Mostly on my bum because apparently I crawl like an inch worm and stick it up. Not cool. Not. Cool. There was a lot of squawking going on that had the other contestants laughing their butts off, but I couldn't help it.

So, all that being said, no writing was had today. I have an excuse. :p

Never got mudding myself, but I am a basement dwelling nerd who is almost as much a neat freak as his mother, so, that's probably why :D And OOO! New cantina. It's shiny and chrome, too, so hopefully it'll ride forever.

My jokes are terrible.

But anyway, I swear I've had a million ideas for little short stories, and it's hard to concentrate on which one. Do I want to write about the 700 year old man and the android girl fighting space pirates, do I want to write about the guy having coffee with a dragon, do I want to write a story about two guys in a forest who catch up at the memorial braziers of old friends, I don't know? That, and work has been sapping most of my energy nowadays. That, and I swear, it's been hotter here than it usually is. I know we usually have a few hot days here, but for the past two or three weeks, it's been almost nothing but high 90's and 100+ weather! Doesn't exactly help.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Simple reason is that the first half of this year has been very busy, what with quite a few commitments and a few other real-world things that may well be happening. I also was working quite a bit of overtime to pay for a few things, including a new kitchen floor and my visit to Finland next month for Worldcon. (If you're going, see you there.) So that squeezed my time quite bit, and energy levels too, truth be told. It's been a lot of hard work, though I do enjoy doing it, but my Blu-ray/DVD review column for a certain magazine has just been shortlisted for a British Fantasy Award in Best Non-Fiction.

Congrats on the shortlist, woohoo! And welcome back! At one point, we had planned to go to Worldcon, and made it into a Norway/Sweden/Finland trip - but the money wasn't in the cards, not until I sell my house :(

Just tried to cut the worst of puppy's fur tangles, and accidentally cut her! Horrifying. She seems to have forgiven me, what with lying next to me. I'm not quite done grooming her, but we've both had more than enough for today, methinks.

Poor pup! I'm glad she forgave you, though.

Morning, Cantina.

Survived the day trip yesterday. (Which was not so much dramatic, just a lot of hours spent in the car on an infamously bad highway route where one semi truck swung out in front of us with inches to spare. And later, a different truck actually ran us off the road onto the shoulder. Blech. I get that driving trucks is hard work, but aggressive drivers are the worst.)

Working on some review requests this morning. Maybe fictional words later. Depends on how my brain behaves.

Aggy, tired out still

Yup! I've had one run me off the road before. It truly sucks.

You could just tell them having you for 20 hours must be better than having you not at all.

This. Definitely this.

Congrats and good luck!!!

I have to go in to work for a bit today, unfortunately - only for an hour or two. Yesterday we went to the Salamanca Powwow, and it was a lot of fun. Yummy fry bread. I had bear sausage and it was yummy, too! I may have bought some beady things :D

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello friends!

So that 3 hour plane ride turned into 6. Weather was bad at the airport and they wouldn't let anyone land. Our plane was low on gas so we had to go to a different airport to fuel up. The boys handled it like champs but Hubby and I were just done with life by the time we got home. And once there we discovered that the circuit breaker must have gotten tripped while we were gone and our refrigerator was a sinking, rotting mess. Hubby had to clean it out because the smell was just too much for me. Not the best way to come home.

But today we'll get our puppies home and everything will be fine. :)

So how are y'all?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Cantina.

Tired today. Stayed up past midnight helping Mr. Aggy hang a door between the kitchen and former dining room. (Which no longer has carpet, and has been repainted a nice grey color because Monkey is going to use it as his model train room.) There are also plans to build a very large table-display that will fold up into what is currently a double door-width threshold between former dining room and former living room. (The living room side will get bookshelves across the former opening as we turn it into more of a study.) But indoor construction-type projects... >_<

Working on some things this morning. Also housework (because there is always housework). Maybe some wording or drawing if I can get my brain in the correct space.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Good to see some of the lurkers popping back in to say hi. And yay for good news. *HUGS* for those with bad news.

Aggy, passes the Steve-bot with a selection of beverage choices

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
OK, finally done with work today. 3 hours, more than I had expected, but it's caught up for now. More on Monday, I'm certain.

I've come home to a dead refrigerator, after a 2 week trip in the UK. Disgusting icky mess.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Ok this morning I will take a gallon of coffee and about 30 ibuprofen please.

Spent all day yesterday weeding, trimming, landscaping, and mowing. Yard looks a million percent better but man I am sore today.

So, where are we with that coffee/ibuprofen drip?

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
new Cantina, new Doctor, we're in a time of new beginnings!

Yup, just saw the promotional video for that. Very pleasantly surprised. Well done, BBC, you caught me off guard.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, just saw the promotional video for that. Very pleasantly surprised. Well done, BBC, you caught me off guard.

same! they'd been hinting at it, but I didn't think they'd go through with it. they didn't last time it was hinted. but THEY DID and it's a miracle

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
same! they'd been hinting at it, but I didn't think they'd go through with it. they didn't last time it was hinted. but THEY DID and it's a miracle

Interesting times we're living in for sure. Curious to see what the response is going to be, and whether there's going to be a little or a lot outrage. I was, I have to admit, a bit floored at the anger over the new Star Trek series cast, when some "fans" complained about too much diversity and how that ran against the franchise tradition, which made me do a triple take.