The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, greendragon and Maggie Maxwell!

It is indeed emotionally devastating. Will your character come back at some point in the future? When I played and had a well-developed, mid or high-level character, I would do what I needed to keep them from being permanently gone. Because you do develop a fondness, kind of like characters in a book. I think one of the reasons I loved dnd so much was the creating aspect.

yup! he came back by the end of the session. the party rescued his eye and the resurrection diamond, went to the nearest high level cleric and brought him back. since it was a planned death between me and the DM, we had it set up to be an easy resurrection (at least gameplay wise)

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
The court accepted my request to be excused. I'm no longer on call for possible jury duty. :banana:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon all.

Stupid crazy here. Doing a final edit on a client. He's done an excellent job on revisions in some respects and not so great in others. More notes on the way. Starting Sunday I have a dev/content edit for another client to work on, so I've got to get this one out of the way in the next couple of days.

Was going to see if I could go to Archon at the end of the month, but since we've had a couple of unexpected expences (FIL's water bill and oldest had his first banking whoopsie) and we are still paying on the car, it means most likely not. (plus I'd probably have to work anyway.) I'm not complaining because for the first time ever, I'm not freaking out every month about bills and groceries and defensive if we get hit with a sudden bill. It's nice to be able to just pull out the $ when something comes up and not worry about how ends are going to meet.

No words for me. Probably none will be written until I get rid of this dayjob. No spare brain to use between it and my freelance stuff. :(

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Had a mini freak out, thinking nanowrimo was 2 weeks away. Then I remembered Oct. God bless you Oct!! Still not sure what my project is going to be, but I know what I have to get finished first. Beyond that...whew, possabilities are endless. 2017 goal was to finish stuff (hopelessly editing for the rest of my life) and write more short stories to sub. But nano blesses me with vision beyond that, and I'm overwhelmed at what I could do... No, no, no, head must stay in this project!!

ION, another goal is to learn to use Word better. I draft in Scrivener, but when it comes to editing, I prefer word. However, I need more experience with formatting and in-line comments. I'm getting by, but not utalizing the progem to it's full potential. Any suggestions before I turn to youtube?

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
Had a mini freak out, thinking nanowrimo was 2 weeks away. Then I remembered Oct. God bless you Oct!! Still not sure what my project is going to be, but I know what I have to get finished first. Beyond that...whew, possabilities are endless. 2017 goal was to finish stuff (hopelessly editing for the rest of my life) and write more short stories to sub. But nano blesses me with vision beyond that, and I'm overwhelmed at what I could do... No, no, no, head must stay in this project!!

I, too, had a small NaNo-related freakout this morning, for similar reasons. I'm an ML for our region, and I woke up this morning convinced that it was late October, and I only had a few days to tell the participants in my region that we're not having a midnight write-in this year! Yikes!

ION, another goal is to learn to use Word better. I draft in Scrivener, but when it comes to editing, I prefer word. However, I need more experience with formatting and in-line comments. I'm getting by, but not utalizing the progem to it's full potential. Any suggestions before I turn to youtube?

I draft/finalize in Scrivener, but I export to LibreOffice and print from there, mostly because I've had too many problems compiling documents to a normal usable format from Scrivener.

As to Word... No clue. Maybe someone else will chime in. Sorry for the useless answer.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score

Hi Mary! I'd be happy to help you out with Word. It has its quirks but it's fairly easy to use once you get used to it.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I'm pretty good with Word. What do you want it to do?

Got in 2600 words yesterday and 1400 today. I'm happy with that. I would have gotten in more, but I had a meeting run long. I'll do better tomorrow.

Now I'm off to my Facebook Release Day party
- anyone want to come join the fun? Games, other authors, prizes... running from 7-10pm tonight (EST)... i.e., starting in a half hour.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

While I use Word exclusively for writing, I don't think I'm proficient enough with all the fancy doohickeys to be helpful without being more confusing at the same time. Sounds like the others have you covered, though. :)

I, too, had a small NaNo-related freakout this morning, for similar reasons. I'm an ML for our region, and I woke up this morning convinced that it was late October, and I only had a few days to tell the participants in my region that we're not having a midnight write-in this year! Yikes!
Huh. I wonder if these mini-freakouts are contagious? I'm not doing NaNo (Not up to 50,000 words in one month yet. My record so far is 14,011) but I had a dream just the other night that something I was working on had a deadline that had passed two days before and I'd totally missed it. I got really sad and disappointed about having gotten the date wrong and missed an opportunity. It was a relief to wake up and realize it hadn't been real.

It's a tad cloudy here again, but I think I see sun peeking through as I type. Going to get a book review written and then write the story werdz.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm tempted to take part in nano as a rebel... I've done it before... Only worry is that I'll obsess over word goals and ignore self-care :/

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
NaNo does not look likely for me. If I'm still at dayjob and working my freelance stuff, there will be no time or brain to write something.

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cantina!

After two weeks of editing data/analyzing data/interpreting data until I'm pretty sure my eyes started to bleed, I am now done with all my reports! Weeeee! Now to send them off to Congress where they never will be read again (but at least I get to say there are things in the Library of Congress with my name on them FWIW).

I'm rewarding myself with vacation next week. Well, my husband and parents are dragging me off to Branson, MO. I have very low expectations, so I probably will have a wonderful time. I've already planned which caves I want to check out when I make my escape. I'm also waiting to hear if, when I come back, I will be sent to Alabama and from there to wherever to help FEMA with hurricane Irma and Harvey relief.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Our county sent my family a survey about quality if life in the county and our opinions on local stuff, etc. Admittedly, we were mildly distracted while doing it, but good grief that thing was long. Not counting the distraction times it took an hour to do. Hope they're happy and actually listen to the feedback.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If I'm not more than halfway through my novel by November 1st, I may sign up for the first time for NaNo. I've never before been 'in novel' during the whole month. I do my own NaNo when I'm working on one, though - 2000 words a day. I just started my new novel (only got 1000 a day yesterday and the day before, but already got 1000 in today and still working). I'll probably be almost finished if not done by November, though.

I'm off this weekend to Niagara County (Buffalo) for the Niagara Celtic festival. Hoping to see northern lights tonight - maybe! We'll be farther north and with darker skies (it's right on Lake Ontario, about 10 miles from the city) and the aurora is active. And the weather is favorable. Crossing fingers!

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Damn cold has settled into my damn lungs, which means I have to cancel my Seattle trip this weekend. Damn.
*dons bio hazard suit* :Hug2:

Morning, Cantina. I got the book review written yesterday, but then got distracted and did all of one sentence of story words before I felt like my eyeballs were going to fall out and I had to get off the computer. Going to try to make up for it today, especially as I'm going on a day trip on Sunday to see a play and won't do any words unless they happen on my phone. Will also craft and get pics of the new bracelet I made. *needs to stop being lazy and make a darned light box so she doesn't have to go outside and fend off mosquitoes while taking photos*

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else track the Cassini Finale? Also, why am I empathizing with a space robot? I feel like I shouldn't be this melancholy, but here I am! Poor Cassini...

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I did! Go Cassini Go! He knew his duty and did it well.

I love it when I sit down to write and all of a sudden, 1000 words are down. I barely noticed! All I did was describe my MC entering a cathedral in the 11th century. :D

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty good with Word. What do you want it to do?

Aw thanks! Mostly, it's with the in-line comments (though I've had my share of formatting battles too). I recently got a crit back that was super full and crazy looking. Even when I clicked the ellipsis on a lengthy comment to have it pop up in the sidebar, I had trouble identifying where things went--lines everywhere! (you can click and bold them a bit, but when they're layered multiple times on a sentence I had trouble). And I'm also not sure how to make such thorough crits myself. I usually just add comments--how do you add the insertions, deletions, moves and formatting ones? (I want to know how to be just as horrible to my crit partners. :evil)

I just opened an old document that I had written all of two pages in and was immediately curious about this world. Damn it.
Woohoo, that feeling is the best! Maybe you should write it for nano? :e2cheer:

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else track the Cassini Finale? Also, why am I empathizing with a space robot? I feel like I shouldn't be this melancholy, but here I am! Poor Cassini...

Say whu-whu-WHUT!!?!?!?!?!??? :O I thought Cassini was supposed to make the dive in Sept----....... oh.... oh my oh me..... :cry:

I just opened an old document that I had written all of two pages in and was immediately curious about this world. Damn it.

Rel, Rel, Rellreggie RELLLLLLL!!! :D Look at it this way, you evidently did a good job somewhere, and that means you don't suck and are not full of poo and therefore MUST be full of a+wesome (because there is no in between). If we continue along this train of thought for a moment, we can also easily establish that you are the bombed-diggidy, a bodacious badass, and quite frankly, a highly capable and functional individual with talents and abilities all your own, honed by sheer mega coolioness and polished with awesomesauce. You did a thing a while ago, and you did it so well you might as well continue to do the thing later, as well! Good job Relliferous magniferous superflyiferous dudeiferous! :D :Hug2:

Aw thanks! Mostly, it's with the in-line comments (though I've had my share of formatting battles too). I recently got a crit back that was super full and crazy looking. Even when I clicked the ellipsis on a lengthy comment to have it pop up in the sidebar, I had trouble identifying where things went--lines everywhere! (you can click and bold them a bit, but when they're layered multiple times on a sentence I had trouble). And I'm also not sure how to make such thorough crits myself. I usually just add comments--how do you add the insertions, deletions, moves and formatting ones? (I want to know how to be just as horrible to my crit partners. :evil)
Woohoo, that feeling is the best! Maybe you should write it for nano? :e2cheer:

YESYESYESYES! :D Join the NaNo fam, we love Rebels! :D

(<--- Is a rebel hisself... and an ML)

Mary
, what version of MS Word are you using, like, what year is it from? Usually when I make comments and changes to something I edit for someone else, I just put on Track Changes in the Review tab, and then go the hecktown on the doc! :evil You can also straight up just put your ideas for changes in the comments and let them decide what to actually do when they go through your comments. I find I like it more when people say what they think should change rather than changing it and then hoping I notice. (I usually don't... :( ) Also I tend to read betas on my kindle, make notes, and then go into a doc and comment.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cantina!

After two weeks of editing data/analyzing data/interpreting data until I'm pretty sure my eyes started to bleed, I am now done with all my reports! Weeeee! Now to send them off to Congress where they never will be read again (but at least I get to say there are things in the Library of Congress with my name on them FWIW).

I'm rewarding myself with vacation next week. Well, my husband and parents are dragging me off to Branson, MO. I have very low expectations, so I probably will have a wonderful time. I've already planned which caves I want to check out when I make my escape. I'm also waiting to hear if, when I come back, I will be sent to Alabama and from there to wherever to help FEMA with hurricane Irma and Harvey relief.

You are going to be about 3 hours south of me! Whish I had time and cash to run down there and see you. Branson is a bit overdone anymore but try to escape to the outside of town and it's beautiful!

:e2cheer:

This is an easy answer. Click on TRACK CHANGES. This way anything you do, delete, move or add will be recorded and noted on the manuscript.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
This is an easy answer. Click on TRACK CHANGES. This way anything you do, delete, move or add will be recorded and noted on the manuscript.

I've always found the Track Changes function to be a bit spooky, especially if you turn your book or other document over to someone else. I had to submit a proposal to my agent, and she made a few minor comments on things she wanted me to change, but when I clicked on Track Changes, I also saw she'd made a bunch of invisible, super minor tweaks to sentences here and there, and I hadn't even noticed those changes myself.

Turning it on kind of feels like walking into a house with luminol spray, then turning the black light on and realizing someone's tracked blood all over the kitchen.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's exactly what it's like, and I both love and hate it. I rarely do Track Changes on my own work, but love it when trading MS with beta readers or editors. They can stack up to the point of virtual illegibility, though. The best thing to do at that point is to change the way you view them. You can have them view as 'footnotes' at the bottom of the screen, if you like. It makes it a bit easier to read them, but harder to see where they are pointing to. It's an imperfect system, definitely. Also, once you 'address' one, you can delete the comment, which leaves more room for the others. Chipping off at the edges of a 'cluster' can work like that.

1900 words so far today, and another hour of writing before I go off to the art show.