The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
So, a children's book about social injustice!? The encounter doesn't get better, and I have to end up eating crow when she gets mad at me for cutting her off when she was about to complain about a book with mixed-race children I showed her.

Sooooo... basically she just didn't want to come out and say, "Where do you keep the racist children's books, so I can reinforce white privilege in my children"? The moral of the story she was looking for is "We don't mix with THOSE people"? Is that what I'm reading here?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
That's what she was saying, insofar as she had any coherency to her thought-process. I don't even think she was looking for specifically racist children's books (she bought Ada Twist, Scientist, btw, though I think she was trying to ask for a version with a white child), more just it was important to state her antisocial values and that I must abide by them. Very common in bookstores, every bookseller's had to deal with that customer who comes in and within ten minutes is screaming about how you don't carry Glenn Beck or Bill O'Reilly 'bestsellers'.

Also, this lady was just kind of a horrible all-around person, which proves my theory that racists are also all-around horrible people.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Jeez, sorry you had to deal with that, Kjbartolotta. I worked in retail for years, too.

In related news, I RTed someone earlier who suggested that a good rule of thumb is to assume the customer ahead of you was a raging asshole and give as much extra kindness/patience that you can give. I thought it was great advice, and I wish more people would take it.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving all!! Mine was lovely, and I managed to sneak in my WC and lotsa reading, so that made me happy.

Also, happy 100 pages to the fabulous cantina thread.:hi:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, thanks JJ & Shoeless. Retail is retail, I actually like bookseller but it's kinda amazing what people put on you. 'Anti-social justice' might be this year's 'War on Christmas meme'.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'll at least give her credit for realizing that ideas are powerful, and that books are a good way to communicate them. Even if the idea she wanted to communicate was "racial purity."

As a person of color myself though, hearing your experience about a person actually saying she didn't want any books that mixed colored kids with white kids because it would give her kids the wrong idea is... blearrrgh... That leaves a REALLY bad taste in my mouth.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Not even racial exclusion (she did buy a book with and AA child in it, though her point was probably she wanted the white version), so much as the need to demonstrate that this is a value she and the family she was buying for live by, and I must capitulate to that totality. 'Social Justice', to her, is an injustice against her values, and she believes she is the offended party and is noble and good to fight against it, and to abuse and deride parties that might engage in it.

I was talking to some co-workers of mine who are more woke than me, and my only takeaway is to try and make this a learning experience and not get too worked up about times when I feel my own privilege being ruffled. I think of myself as someone who means well, but I know I have work to do on this.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Very common in bookstores, every bookseller's had to deal with that customer who comes in and within ten minutes is screaming about how you don't carry Glenn Beck or Bill O'Reilly 'bestsellers'.

Tell them you're pretty sure you've seen them in the remaindered book bin at the dollar store? No?

I've been out of retail for a long time, and probably would adjust poorly to going back to it.

Not even racial exclusion (she did buy a book with and AA child in it, though her point was probably she wanted the white version), so much as the need to demonstrate that this is a value she and the family she was buying for live by, and I must capitulate to that totality. 'Social Justice', to her, is an injustice against her values, and she believes she is the offended party and is noble and good to fight against it, and to abuse and deride parties that might engage in it.

Is it wrong of me to hope that this is a kneejerk reaction on her part to having been resoudingly called out on her attitudes over Thanksgiving dinner by all her way-less-racist family?

Last edited:

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Dinosaurs.

Run while you still can.
I can't run! *is swarmed by turkeys* Raptors, help!

Rarely check-in here, but man I got a story.

So, Black Friday, for us retail folks you know what that means: torment. I work at a children's book store in West LA, and what I have learned the hard was is that it isn't always the bastion of progressivism it claims to be. So, I get this woman today who is all-around very difficult, but over the course of helping her she makes the point that it is very, very important the book she buy be 'anti-social justice'. I don't even know what that means! We try to be progressive and inclusive at my store, I'm probably the worst one in that regard. But anti-social justice!? So, a children's book about social injustice!? The encounter doesn't get better, and I have to end up eating crow when she gets mad at me for cutting her off when she was about to complain about a book with mixed-race children I showed her.

People say booksellers do it out of love, I do it because I dropped out of college and can't find anything better.
Sounds like a story for notalwaysright.com.

Siwyenbast

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! So close to being done with the semester I can taste it. I got pretty excited during a weekend where I had some breathing room that I started to work on Psycat's 3rd entry (her big turning point one). I haven't been able to return to it yet because of classes, but I do plan on working on it over the winter break. I also got my final paper for my history class finished a week early so I wouldn't have to worry about it over the weekend.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
In related news, I RTed someone earlier who suggested that a good rule of thumb is to assume the customer ahead of you was a raging asshole and give as much extra kindness/patience that you can give. I thought it was great advice, and I wish more people would take it.
So much this.^ It's a good rule of thumb for any human interaction, really. Assume the person you're interacting with may be having a sucky day and treat them with all the love, kindness, and understanding you can muster, even if they don't treat you the same.

Hi all! So close to being done with the semester I can taste it. I got pretty excited during a weekend where I had some breathing room that I started to work on Psycat's 3rd entry (her big turning point one). I haven't been able to return to it yet because of classes, but I do plan on working on it over the winter break. I also got my final paper for my history class finished a week early so I wouldn't have to worry about it over the weekend.
Go, Siwyenbast, go!:e2cheer: Finish the semester with flying colors!

Morning, Cantina. I was having very odd dreams last night. Not bad ones, just a mish-mash of 25 different things including, but not limited to, Anne of Green Gables, Phinneas and Ferb, Kim Possible, and a boy band. Yeah. So, now I'm awake and stuffed with breakfast, word-related things will happen. I also have to get out and take pictures of the new necklace and earring set I just finished and am quite pleased with because they came out just the way I wanted.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Btw, the someone I mentioned upthread who's excellent advice I RTed is a wise AWer known for excellent advice.

(it's zanjzan)

Wasn't sure if if giving credit or not crossing the streams was better.

Because I overthink things that way.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if if giving credit or not crossing the streams was better.

LOL, no worries either way.

But... I've often thought people should have to work retail for a year before being allowed to shop, and likewise work as waitstaff for a year before being allowed to eat out. Clearly not practical, but we'd have a much politer society if so. If you haven't worked either of those jobs, the mindbogglingly awful stuff people do is just beyond imagination, from people beating their kids at the checkout right in front of you, to pulling sweat-soaked dripping dollar bills out of their cleavage/socks/underpants to hand you, to leaving a meal tip covered in ketchup, to just directly and deliberately abusing you because they know they can get away with it and you can't answer back without risking your job. We just went to electronic tolling in our state, and one of the reasons was apparently there was a real problem with motorists exposing themselves to tollbooth attendants. Really.

So yeah, you never know when you may be the only light in someone's craptastic, underpaid day.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Boooo, Cantina! :( I just had to cancel a write-in because none of us in my town could make it. Attendance was already low, but... :cry:

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I just remembered a dream I had recently. It was a... version of Beauty and the Beast. Of course, I can't remember most of it, but it ended with Beauty having to leave for a long while, and when she came back to Beast, she for no apparent reason started kissing a chicken and when she did get to Beast, who was still a beast, he came out of a cave with a bicycle and said he was going to travel the world on it.

Boooo, Cantina! :( I just had to cancel a write-in because none of us in my town could make it. Attendance was already low, but... :cry:
Sucks. :Hug2:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just remembered a dream I had recently. It was a... version of Beauty and the Beast. Of course, I can't remember most of it, but it ended with Beauty having to leave for a long while, and when she came back to Beast, she for no apparent reason started kissing a chicken and when she did get to Beast, who was still a beast, he came out of a cave with a bicycle and said he was going to travel the world on it.

Now THIS is a story!

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score

Sucks. :Hug2:

Your dream. My Sisyphus prompt sorted! :D :p :eek:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Arting today because my left hand is still pretty ouch.

Making mac and cheese for dinner because major financial stress is really kicking me in the gnads* today. (I sold some things to put together some of the money for my first couple of conventions next year. Then Mr. Aggy lost the transmission on his van last night on the way back from way out of town and I had to use most of that money to pay the tow truck. Which, I'm glad I'd decided to sell the things so I had the money available (because otherwise the vehicle would have been stranded until at least today, *and* I would have had to drive out to pick him and Monkey up at midnight), but it's not like I can just replace it because the stuff I sold is now gone. Uggghhhhh.)

So. Comfort food is of the highest order.

There are a few things outstanding publishing-wise that will probably cover the hole. But not for at least a month. Possibly longer because these things are always slow like that.

Aggy, trying not to eat her fingers in frustration

*Probably not how you spell that, but it should be.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Well, I'll at least give her credit for realizing that ideas are powerful, and that books are a good way to communicate them. Even if the idea she wanted to communicate was "racial purity."

As a person of color myself though, hearing your experience about a person actually saying she didn't want any books that mixed colored kids with white kids because it would give her kids the wrong idea is... blearrrgh... That leaves a REALLY bad taste in my mouth.

I was talking to some co-workers of mine who are more woke than me, and my only takeaway is to try and make this a learning experience and not get too worked up about times when I feel my own privilege being ruffled. I think of myself as someone who means well, but I know I have work to do on this.

Tell them you're pretty sure you've seen them in the remaindered book bin at the dollar store? No?

I've been out of retail for a long time, and probably would adjust poorly to going back to it.

Is it wrong of me to hope that this is a kneejerk reaction on her part to having been resoudingly called out on her attitudes over Thanksgiving dinner by all her way-less-racist family?

Jeez, sorry you had to deal with that, Kjbartolotta. I worked in retail for years, too.

I had weird dreams as well. Mine involved daleks and pumpkin pie, as those are the two things I did before sleep... eat the last piece of my pumpkin pie, smothered in cool whip, and watched a classic Doctor Who episode with daleks. It was a messy dream.

However, as I woke, I came up with a new short story idea that fits into a contest that ends on 11/30. Good timing, eh? If anyone is interested, it's an anthology they do periodically around a theme. This time it's ACOW - A Contract of Words. Each story has to have a contract as part of the story.

My story will involve an Irish woman who must create a steampunk-style Rube Goldberg machine for the fairies that makes cheese from milk (because they can't do it themselves) but it can't have any iron in it. In exchange, they bring her kitten back to life.

I had an art show this weekend (Fri and Sat). It was in Binghamton University, and I didn't have very high hopes for it, and it met my expectations. Indoors, and I had lots of compliments. The fee was $170 and I made $400, so at least there was profit, but it was a lot of work for $230. I did sell 5 copies of my new PRINT copies of Legacy of Hunger, which was gratifying. I did this show in the spring with even less results, so I think this show, despite it being close enough to home to drive home each night, is off my list for future.

Next weekend is a show in Syracuse that I did pretty well at last year. Also indoor, but a smaller space, 10X7. I normally get 10X10, so the squeezed space is a pain, but doable.

Zan, since I'm linking an external URL to a FB pic, how do I make the pic smaller? If it's an issue, I can just unlink it. Most of us have seen the pretty :)

My body is sore after the show. It's the first one I've done in a month-and-a-half and my muscles don't remember all this work! Especially as this show (and next weekend's) involve dollying all my stuff in from outside. And the doors are narrow enough that my gridwalls have to be carried, not dollied. Yay.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
hey all. sis-in-law and her bf are in town for a couple of days. she and my partner are the closest siblings I've ever met. they're seriously best friends and have phone calls that last 2 hours minimum. so when they get to see each other, my partner's just so happy. it's adorbs

:Hug2: people like that are vile

that stinks :(

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Rarely check-in here, but man I got a story.

So, Black Friday, for us retail folks you know what that means: torment. I work at a children's book store in West LA, and what I have learned the hard was is that it isn't always the bastion of progressivism it claims to be. So, I get this woman today who is all-around very difficult, but over the course of helping her she makes the point that it is very, very important the book she buy be 'anti-social justice'. I don't even know what that means! We try to be progressive and inclusive at my store, I'm probably the worst one in that regard. But anti-social justice!? So, a children's book about social injustice!? The encounter doesn't get better, and I have to end up eating crow when she gets mad at me for cutting her off when she was about to complain about a book with mixed-race children I showed her.

People say booksellers do it out of love, I do it because I dropped out of college and can't find anything better.

YIKES! I'm glad you handled it because I would have been severely tempted to do something that would have really made her mad! Hugs you had an awful experience. I completely understand though. I work in a grocery store. Some of the people who come in are just horrible people especially to those who they see as having a lower social status.

Doing better at defeating the blahas with vitamins. Tomorrow going to get the wood for my treadmill desk. I've simplified the design so I don't have to deal with things like bungie cords or ratcheting down the desk portion. I'm making a piece that sits down over the arms and is heavy enough that it should stay there without issues. Only thing now to do is get caught up with some work and reading and I'm back on track... I think.

Hope everyone had a good holiday -- if you celebrate it of course. Otherwise hope you had a good weekend!

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
In Beast-related news, I just saw this fun tweet-story depicting a footstool as a pet.

The best part is the first two comments:

"You....were cursed for refusing shelter to an old woman and she enchanted your castle?"

"Yeah but instead of inprisoning a lost woman I just moved on with my life."