AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 91 of 96 FirstFirst ... 16416681858687888990919293949596 LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2386

Thread: The Nacreous Nanotech Nymph's November Nightcap Niche

Guys?

Hey guys?

I just wrote The End on my Snow White retelling.

I feel like I just gave birth to a novella baby, and it's not perfect, there's still a long road ahead filled with editing and reshaping the things I already know could be better. But the story is finished. I have sand in my sandbox to build castles with. And it's that potential that makes it beautiful to me despite the flaws. I didn't know how I'd feel when I reached this point of completing a long story for the first time, but it feels good, guys. It feels very good.

I think I'm gonna cry.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -G.K. Chesterton

WIPs:
    Fantasy - Working title: "In Dreams They Came" -- 75,753 words & counting!
    Sleeping Beauty Retelling -- In stasis, much like SB herself... (I swear I'll get back to it someday.)
    Snow White Retelling -- FINISHED!!! Now for edits. dun Dun DUN!

Twitter of sparkles | Etsy | Goodreads | Pinterest | Instagram of sparkles

"No, my God's not done making me a masterpiece/ He's still working on me/ He started something good and I'm gonna believe it/ He started something good and He's gonna complete it/ So I'll celebrate the truth/ His work in me ain't through/ I'm just unfinished." ~"Unfinished" by Mandisa

Quote Originally Posted by E.F.B. View Post
    Guys?

Hey guys?

I feel like I just gave birth to a novella baby, and it's not perfect, there's still a long road ahead filled with editing and reshaping the things I already know could be better. But the story is finished. I have sand in my sandbox to build castles with. And it's that potential that makes it beautiful to me despite the flaws. I didn't know how I'd feel when I reached this point of completing a long story for the first time, but it feels good, guys. It feels very good.

I think I'm gonna cry.
    Fueled by the coffee Tiddlywinks says she gave up...(though she's totally lying)

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Guys?

Hey guys?

I think I'm gonna cry.

_________
    A.G.C.

Touch: A Trilogy - AVAILABLE NOW!
    "The 'Touch' trilogy is a masterclass in world-building, tells a fascinating story with economy and intelligence, and does so with fine, pared-down prose." - Eric Brown, author of The Fall of Tartarus

"I loved this novella series. Brooding, earthy, whispering to us with a delicious mood of creeping dread while filling the heart with a pure sense of wonder." - Charles de Lint, author of The Onion Girl

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

practical experience, FTW greendragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    Yay for new words, everyone!

I aced the 2nd interview for DreamJob today, then came home to learn I've been accepted into a fairly lucrative freelance writing gig.

Guys?

Hey guys?

I think I'm gonna cry.

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster Religion0's Avatar
    On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed known as Denmark
    So I finally got around to giving RWBY a shot, like, four years after it was relevant. I have questions, many questions, ranging from walk cycles and costume choices to "how many faunus parents haven't cut the animal ears and tails off their babies?" which is a singularly horrifying thought. I doubt that's a shark they're going to address, though.

Typo of the day:

Poor dwarves. That...could be painful.
    Sounds like a drug-induced fever dream. Could be highly symbolic.

Guys?

Hey guys?

I think I'm gonna cry.
    PARTY! Smibbles, more cake!
    There is, in all likelihood, a small cuddly dog holding me hostage by virtue of lying on my foot. In a moment, she will clamber up my body and devour my brain through my nose. Please send help.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    *dips a bagel into cream cheese Religion0*
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    Excel has no love for anything. Excel is made of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Damoclian View Post
    "[Rel is] a rainbow creamcheese mega awesome cereal fish with sweet eyebrows and big eyes and a generally pleasant face to gaze upon on top of having a wonderful personality!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkitdizzi View Post
    I did the update and found my audio driver deleted, while at the same time my laptop's speakers were doing a very loud annoying crackling sound. Downloaded the driver from Dell and reinstalled it, which fixed the problem, but that was annoying.
    That happened when I first installed Windows 10. That was...annoying and worrying indeed.

Typo of the day:

The twins ran around the fallen body and into the eyes of the dwarves.
    Poor dwarves. That...could be painful.
    Hopefully their cleats didn't get stuck in the dwarves' corneas. [/spongebob]

I aced the 2nd interview for DreamJob today, then came home to learn I've been accepted into a fairly lucrative freelance writing gig.
    Woohoo!

Guys?

Hey guys?

Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Religion0 View Post
    So I finally got around to giving RWBY a shot, like, four years after it was relevant. I have questions, many questions, ranging from ... costume choices
    Anime.

I mean, I haven't watched RWBY (it's on The List of Things That Seem Pretty Interesting But I Never Get Around To For No Good Reason) but "anime" probably sums that bit up.

(And now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised that, with my NaNo WIP involving a bunch of non-human races, I haven't included any cat-people at all. Don't know if that will change or not.)
    [insert AW Flash Fiction Challenge advertisement here]
    (password is "flashed" — new prompt every Sunday!)

Hello, Cantina.

Today is laundry day. *she says as if every day isn't laundry day* Also, push to finish this side project day. Send some (writing) business emails day. Write some bloggy things day. Dance because it's Friday day. And try not to get stressed over finances.

(BTW, I've revamped my Patreon and y'all should definitely check it out if you like Steampunk or Gothic subgenres. You now get 4 chapters a month for just a $1.)

But, before I do any of the things, breakfast.

Aggy, thinking tuna and crackers this morning
    _________
    A.G.C.

"The 'Touch' trilogy is a masterclass in world-building, tells a fascinating story with economy and intelligence, and does so with fine, pared-down prose." - Eric Brown, author of The Fall of Tartarus

"I loved this novella series. Brooding, earthy, whispering to us with a delicious mood of creeping dread while filling the heart with a pure sense of wonder." - Charles de Lint, author of The Onion Girl

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster Religion0's Avatar
    On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed known as Denmark
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyWhite View Post
    Anime.

I mean, I haven't watched RWBY (it's on The List of Things That Seem Pretty Interesting But I Never Get Around To For No Good Reason) but "anime" probably sums that bit up.

(And now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised that, with my NaNo WIP involving a bunch of non-human races, I haven't included any cat-people at all. Don't know if that will change or not.)
    I recommend getting around to it, great sense of humour. Anime covers most of the clothing choices excellently, and there's also some in-universe reasoning. Most of my questions are about the amount of high-heels, really.
    There is, in all likelihood, a small cuddly dog holding me hostage by virtue of lying on my foot. In a moment, she will clamber up my body and devour my brain through my nose. Please send help.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    *dips a bagel into cream cheese Religion0*
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    Excel has no love for anything. Excel is made of hate.

"[Rel is] a rainbow creamcheese mega awesome cereal fish with sweet eyebrows and big eyes and a generally pleasant face to gaze upon on top of having a wonderful personality!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkitdizzi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Religion0 View Post
    PARTY! Smibbles, more cake!
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyWhite View Post
    Woohoo!
    THANKS EVERYBODY!!!

WOOHOO!!!

Morning, Cantina. Now that the Snow White retelling is finished (it still feels so goooood!), I'm going to give myself the weekend off from writing. I actually have a beta read to work on for someone else, so that will keep me from getting too fidgety. Got some crafting to do too, and my mom wants to put a second coat of paint on the hall bathroom. So, off to do the things!
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -G.K. Chesterton

WIPs:
    Sleeping Beauty Retelling -- In stasis, much like SB herself... (I swear I'll get back to it someday.)

"No, my God's not done making me a masterpiece/ He's still working on me/ He started something good and I'm gonna believe it/ He started something good and He's gonna complete it/ So I'll celebrate the truth/ His work in me ain't through/ I'm just unfinished." ~"Unfinished" by Mandisa

Sooooooooo glad it's Friday. Longest week ever. Trying to decide what my priorities will be for the weekend, outside of some dedicated writing time.

*Dunks in the coffee hot tub*

practical experience, FTW Mary Love's Avatar
    Guys?

Hey guys?

I think I'm gonna cry.

That feeling is sooo good!! *hands tissue*

Yay Effbubbles!

Man you gais! Liaising in a Municipal fashion is jolly difficult!
    -Twitter of fear and loathing and incredible shyness!

Yay for finishing stories. I want to do some retelling of some fairy tale or something, but my brain can't seem to pick a direction it likes, so therefore nothing happens but smoke and some nasty fumes.

My mind is a dangerous place when it malfunctions.

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade A View Post
    Yay for finishing words!!!
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

Yay, Effby. That is a great feeling, wrapping up a story.

I am waiting for coffee to work.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

pretty clear I'm not winning nano this year, but I'm still trying to write every day for the month

Yay Effbubbles!

Man you gais! Liaising in a Municipal fashion is jolly difficult!
    been writing speeches and stuff?

practical experience, FTW themindstream's Avatar
    ::ducks in to restock and rewind the clockwork tea cart::

So. Went this morning to a discussion group hosted by the people who host the local writer's group; they had invited an editor for people to talk and ask questions with. She had a heavy lean on evangelizing self-publishing which in itself wasn't bad but I think she was telling people that they could self-publish stuff and still be looking for an agent/publisher for it. I thought I recalled hearing from here that would be a bad plan but I wasn't confidant enough to challenge her on it.

Still! I met other writers and got to ask about the semi-regular writing group (a lot of other people were there for the first time) and the editor also offered a free reading of a sample chapter to anyone who wanted to send her one. That offer will be awfully tempting...when I've had a chance to do planed rewrites on my first chapter.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -- Arthur C. Clarke
    "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!" -- Agatha Heterodyne

WIP: A Tale of Two Portals - first draft - 80k+ and counting.

nutruring tomorrows criminals today PorterStarrByrd's Avatar
    Let's see ... the editor get paid (think several hundred dollars at a minimum) ... the self publisher either pays or takes chance on self publishing on-line with little likelihood of recouping the investment unless having a work good enough for traditional publishing. Sounds good to me. Look, there are self-published creations out there which are damned good but there is a whole lot of crap in the mudpit with them making it almost a fools errand to find the good stuff. Write the book, prepare to suffer the slings and arrows of editors, agents, and publishers and learn every bit about your writing you can. You will somewhere between surprised and shocked about your first submission. Some of us are writers and some authors (I haven't submitted but have experienced and editor who strongly believes I have something worth submitting). Both are worthwhile endeavors without taking the self-publishing dive.
    http://porterstarrbyrd.blogspot.com/

http://absolutelyunofficialpac12spor....blogspot.com/

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
    The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
    Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown
    some people have a hard time keeping up with the vanguard ... of course most of those are called survivors - PSB

The issue with self-pubbing while still looking for an agent/publisher is that if it doesn't sell well, you've blown first publication rights and the agent/publisher is going to wonder if your book has the chance to actually be popular enough for them to invest in. If it does sell well, then you have to convince the agent/publisher that you haven't already exhausted the market for it and it's worth their time to invest because there are still folks out there who will want to buy a copy.

Self-pub is not a terrible route, but it's not the best "first" option for many folks because, well... producing a polished product is not easy. In addition to editing, there's layout (if you do any type of print), and covers, and cover copy. Plus promo. It's not impossible, but you have to be able to treat it like an overtime job if you really want to make a go of it.

ION, I got some unexpected but possibly really exciting publishing news this morning. Now there's just a bunch of waiting (per usual) to see how it pans out.

Still cranking away on the Cozy, and the YA magic-girl novel. Trying to get both finished this month if possible. Phew.

Aggy, ices wrists, straps on brace
    _________
    A.G.C.

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by themindstream View Post

So. Went this morning to a discussion group hosted by the people who host the local writer's group; they had invited an editor for people to talk and ask questions with. She had a heavy lean on evangelizing self-publishing which in itself wasn't bad but I think she was telling people that they could self-publish stuff and still be looking for an agent/publisher for it. I thought I recalled hearing from here that would be a bad plan but I wasn't confidant enough to challenge her on it.

Still! I met other writers and got to ask about the semi-regular writing group (a lot of other people were there for the first time) and the editor also offered a free reading of a sample chapter to anyone who wanted to send her one. That offer will be awfully tempting...when I've had a chance to do planed rewrites on my first chapter.
    Self-publishing is not a step in trade publishing a novel. They're two different paths. Frankly, I wouldn't use an editor who advocates that method.

And to be clear, I'm talking about an individual novel, not that you have to pick one or the other for your entire career.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

No, you're the grease monkey. Fruitbat's Avatar
    Self-publishing a book while continuing to look for a publisher/agent for it is a typical newbie mistake, not advice you'd expect to hear from a professional. But anyone can hang out a shingle to do freelance editing, so someone just calling themselves an editor doesn't mean much in itself.

Personally, if a manuscript is of a type that has a large-ish audience I'd shoot for an agent first, then a publisher, and lastly self-publishing- if I was convinced the reason it wasn't accepted was something besides the quality not being up to par.

Some types of writing just don't have a large commercial audience regardless of how well they're done though, so it might make sense to go ahead and self-publish them in the first place (poetry, or nonfiction with a small, specialized audience, for example).

Another reason I, personally, would skip trying for an agent/publisher first is if it's something you feel called to do but you don't have a name in the field, for example a book of your favorite recipes.

I'm sure there are plenty of other factors and it's a personal decision but *I* would have a reason for self-publishing and be sure it wasn't just that the writing still had a way to go before it was publishable.
    Last edited by Fruitbat; 11-12-2017 at 04:35 AM.
    Story Prompts That Work: 52 Detailed, Tested Story Starters for Short Stories and Flash Fiction (for Adults and Teens)
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...mpts+that+work

Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
    http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Flash-...0670797&sr=1-1

Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction:
    http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-House-L...fee+house+lies

Blog: http://carlyberg.com/

Now available (see sig for link)! Cliff Face's Avatar
    I self-published TEC because I was impatient. Take from that what you will. It's sold very few copies, but I've also done no real promo for it, and it's a first release.
    To listen to my feeble attempts at music, go here! I'll be adding to it (hopefully) for all of February.

Buy my comedic urban fantasy novel on Kindle today!
    I now have a blog.
    (Updated 23 January 2016)
    I also have a website. How exciting!

Main WIPs

The Black Book That Went 'Thud'
    The Little House of Flames
    From De-cluttering To Minimalism: A Journey

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by themindstream View Post

I think it very much depends on the genre. I know quite a few people in romance who self-pub and also pub with a publisher. And some who have made a career out of self-pubbing and then been approached by publishers.

But I do agree that you shouldn't be self-publishing a book you want to publish w/ an agent or through a publisher. Generally, an agent wants something they can sell for the first time. Because generally, that's what publishers want, too.

Getting a self-published book picked up by a publisher isn't easy and usually happens because that book is doing pretty darn well on its own. It's not a common path by any means. (Though it does happen.)
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

A bunch of my Goodreads friends self-publish, but in their cases, it's generally because they like having complete control over the process, and understand they shouldn't try to take that same book and try to get it traditionally published.

Afternoon, Cantina. Busy weekend has been busy. Crafting has been done, continued painting of various household doors has been done, I finished beta-ing (no, not "beating", dumb autocorrect.) the two chapters I had to beta (the feedback for which the person said was very helpful, yay!), and Etsy-ing got done. On the less good side, I didn't sleep too well last night due to not feeling well, and have been very tired, plus my arms hurt from all the door painting yesterday. *makes note to self to work on shoulder strength because Ouch*

On the better side of things, the kids in Sunday school were a tad hyper, but not so out of control as to be frustrsting. Meanwhile, one of the children proved once again that 6 year olds can't estimate age because he stated that my fellow teacher who is in her 60's HAD to be 50 and insisted that I look 50 as well even though I told him I was 25. Thankfully for him, I don't take myself that seriously and did not strangle him where he stood. :P

Wordage related things will be done this afternoon. After lunch, because I hungry.

WIPs:

Page 91 of 96 FirstFirst ... 16416681858687888990919293949596 LastLast