The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, am hoping to be able to send the parents on a surprise-trip to Edinburg very soon so I'll take the sudden Scotland-talk as a good omen. :)

Raise yo handses if you got glow-in-the-dark teeths!! *raises three paws*
Have you ever seen the movie Attack the block in which a group of young criminals have to stop an alien invasion? The aliens had glow-in-the-dark teeth which I tought was hilarious.

I have a traumatized cat as well (he was in a hoarder situation before we got him with 70 other cats). We gave him medicine for a few days and has, in fiance's words "regressed". He only comes out when one person is around. If there are two or more, he tends to hide. </3 Neuroplasticity may exist, but it's a slow process.
Ours was said to have been dragged from the mouth of a giant dog before we adopted her. That and the medication she needed in the beginning made her entirely hands-off and hermitting in a single room for more than a decade. But the thing is I never thought she'd still improve at her age. I thought that once she's an adult the chances of her changing her ways were nill. She continues to surprise me and as I'm typing this, she's back in the computer basket and she didn't run away even with three people in the room. :fistpump Now there's just hoping this doesn't change the first time Normalish Cat chases her away.

So yes. The mental space/perspective has unearthed that for me. Haven't started writing again, but if I *do* start writing again, I know what I'll be focusing on. :)
Yeay for perspective! Finding out what one actually wants is a big step.

Cliff, maybe you just need a break and/or a really good story idea to rekindle interest. Keep reading--even if it doesn't inspire, it's still fun. :)
Quoted for truth. I keep forgetting and keep being reminded that there is nothing so useful for writing than reading. Just yesterday when reading a book in a totally different genre I out of the blue realised what my latest story-problem needed for fixing.

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alackoftheologyandgeometry.wordpress.com
Skye is one of my favorite places in the world, though I've only been there twice. Such stunning beauty!
It's lovely, but what I didn't realise when I decided to go was that over the last five years it's increased hugely in popularity. They actually had to stop people travelling onto Skye in August if they didn't have accommodation booked. Even now, the popular beauty spots had overflowing car parks and people trying to park in the passing places. But we made it to the Old Man of Storr, and Dunvegan Castle, and saw Eilean Donan castle.
-
And the north coast of Scotland is an undiscovered gem - I'm glad you discovered it!
The landscapes were stunning. And of course there were the castles, and the standing stones, and the amazing food... I think maybe my favourite thing was sandwood bay, a huge sandy beach which is only accessible by a 4 mile hike. You're walking for more than an hour over moorland to get there, every trace of people disappearing except for the track, and then these amazing dunes roll out in front of you, and finally you get to the beach where the breakers roll in, and you feel like you've got to the end of the world. We just about had enough time to realise how much more there was to see - hopefully we'll be able to go back some time soon!

ETA
Heh, am hoping to be able to send the parents on a surprise-trip to Edinburg very soon so I'll take the sudden Scotland-talk as a good omen.
smile.png
Yay! I'm sure they'll have a great time.

Have you ever seen the movie Attack the block in which a group of young criminals have to stop an alien invasion? The aliens had glow-in-the-dark teeth which I tought was hilarious.
Love this movie! Worth seeing just for John Boyega in an early role. Also, one of the kids rides a Gogo pizza delivery moped, which is a local pizza chain. In fact, the whole thing is set in the borough where I live, and I think on the whole is a realistic portrayal of what would happen to aliens who ventured south of the river.

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
However, my BookBub email went out at 11am. My publisher just emailed me that I'd sold about 750 copies so far! Woohoo! The book is ranked #348 (high point) on all paid Kindle books, and are #3, #3, and #4 in it's genre rankings. I hope to push it up to #1 in at least one of them! It also got as high as #66 in Canada paid Kindle books :D

Sunday (before it went on sale) it was ranked around 300,000. Sunday morning before the email went out, it was around 19,000. All in all, pretty decent. The average sales for the YA/Teen category for 99cent books on Bookbub is listed around 900, so I'm not too far off, and today may net some more.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and my overall author ranking went from 112,000 on 9-20 to 1271 right now.
Congrats, GD!

Delurking... Have been away up round the north coast of Scotland and Skye, which was lovely. Almost no people! Amazing landscapes! Haggis! Also a lot of rain. But overall exactly what you want from a trip away.

On our way north from Skye we drove through Wester Ross, where we crossed the Blackwater and then the Bran river. Wonder if George RR Martin also went on holiday here?

Hugs to all the traumatised cats. I know how much effort it can take to get back to normal when something happens.
FEYNGIRL!!! *TACKLEHUG* :D

Heh, am hoping to be able to send the parents on a surprise-trip to Edinburg very soon so I'll take the sudden Scotland-talk as a good omen. :)
I wanna go to Scotland. *puppy-dog pout*

Finally back home. My dad's appointment went fine, we got lunch out, did things that needed to be done and then took da beagle for a nice long walk until he was so tired his tongue was almost dragging the sidewalk. (We're trying to work some fat off of him as he is a tad rotund.)

Aunt Update: The hospital released her today and she's now back home with her brother and mother. She should be very comfortable, too, because my dad made some phone calls to a furniture place near where she lives and we bought my aunt a new recliner to replace the old one that had been around since my grandpa was still alive and was so broken down and ratty no one could sit in it. The furniture people were super polite and helpful, were able to do same-day delivery, and even took the old recliner away at my grammy's request. (We were shocked. Everyone thought she was really attached to it because it was grandpa's. Apparently she wasn't *that* attached to it, especially in light of finally having a new one.) We'll have to call them this evening to see how they like it.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
greendragon: congratulations! :partyguy:

friendlyfrog: I'm glad your cat's been improving :) I like to think that no animal or human is incapable of healing, you know?

EFB: it's great that your aunt has been released!

I wrote 420 words so far today [no joke]. that's more in one day than I've done lately. when I was trying to write full length novels, my word output was higher. now that I'm focusing on short stories, I finish a new story every day or so, but it means my daily total is lower. I mean, I'm still finishing a story every day or so? so I guess judging by word total doesn't work in my current medium. going to complicate nano :/

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Just popped my head in here for the first time in ages and everybody is talking about Scotland. Go figure :)

Skye is amazing! I've been up the Quiraing (rocky ridge with tremendous views) caught in a lightning storm that arrived in 5 minutes flat and the rain was so heavy I could only see a few metres ahead. I was fine though, there were people higher up with golf clubs so I figured if lightning was going to hit anyone... :p . Fogs and sunshine and gorgeous scenery, a fairy glen and fairy pools (utterly freezing mountain pools). Lots to see there, but it is really busy in peak tourist season these days.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning Cantina. I haven't had the chance to tally it up yet but I did more words yesterday than I thought I would. I've been slow lately so really want to do more these last few days of the month.

Aunt said the recliner is very comfy, which is great because we were concerned about it fitting her.

Oh look, Stephen King is on Good Morning America. I don't like his books (bleh, horror), but he's fascinating to me as a writer. *watches*

- - - Updated - - -

Just popped my head in here for the first time in ages and everybody is talking about Scotland. Go figure :)

Skye is amazing! I've been up the Quiraing (rocky ridge with tremendous views) caught in a lightning storm that arrived in 5 minutes flat and the rain was so heavy I could only see a few metres ahead. I was fine though, there were people higher up with golf clubs so I figured if lightning was going to hit anyone... :p . Fogs and sunshine and gorgeous scenery, a fairy glen and fairy pools (utterly freezing mountain pools). Lots to see there, but it is really busy in peak tourist season these days.

Oh, hai.:hi:

Last edited:

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Good morning, Cantina.

Gonna be a busy next few days.

Working on plotting out a short story to submit to the next Zombies Need Brains anthology call. Can't decide if I want to do a dark fantasy story for their "Razor's Edge" anthology or a humorous SF story for their Guilds anthology (the lawn and maintenance guild vs. an invading army). At least they're looking for stories up to 7,500. That's an easier number for me to hit than say 3,500.

Also, doing character summaries for the big bads and their associates for Child of Shadows, which will be the first sequel for Harbinger of Darkness. Gotten a few requests to review the book - still hoping to hear from the other twenty-five or so reviewers we contacted to see if we can fit in their schedules. Still an open offer to anyone here in the Cantina who might like a copy too.

And in the other good news department, just heard back from the editor for Green Ronin. She has approved my story, One Night in Freeport, and it's on its way to the licensor for final approval (need to make sure it fits in the game's lore). Nice to be back in the media tie-in world between this and my Liberty Girl story that was released on 08 Aug.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After writing extremely sporadically for the past 7 years (since I graduated high school), I'm writing again. I'm working on a short story for Rosarium Publishing's Trouble the Waters anthology (deadline November 1), another fantasy short story that I originally started last year, and an M/M erotic romance that I also started last year.

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Good to see you again, Alan. Best of luck with the upcoming submissions!

After writing extremely sporadically for the past 7 years (since I graduated high school), I'm writing again. I'm working on a short story for Rosarium Publishing's Trouble the Waters anthology (deadline November 1), another fantasy short story that I originally started last year, and an M/M erotic romance that I also started last year.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com

I've been hit by a storm as I was up in the Fairy Glen - it was glorious :) Here's the photo I took before it hit.

So the results of my BookBub ad so far: it ran on Sunday in the YA/Teen category, which isn't quite as robust as some of the others, but it estimated about 900 in sales for a 99cent book. I have gotten 860, so I'm perfectly fine with that. My highest rank achieved in the US Paid Kindle list was 348. I got as high as #3 in my genre lists (the top two were well-established USA Today bestsellers with an impressive backlist). I did reach #1 in two genre categories in the Amazon Canada category, so got a screenshot of my Bestseller Tag when it showed up :D

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yesterday I got 2300 words in, and today 2200. My goal is 2000 a day, so even that little bit above minimum makes me happy :D I won't say the story is rolling all the time, but it does get into moods. Right now it's limping a bit. I'm struggling to transition from one scene to another. But I just finished with some nail-biting action, so I needed a reset scene.

I just had Etain's husband praising their grandchild. For what, you ask? For beating up a pagan child, because his beliefs are of the devil! Perfectly understandable for an 11th century priest. Still Etain is upset over the cruelty. After all, what if they found out about her own pagan magic?

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did some garden work I had put off and now am so sore. Trimmed a rose bush, dug up a large clump of crocosimia, then an underperforming daylily and divided that up and replanted, then went to work on the buddleia tree which had to be pruned. Cut up those branches and put them in recycle. Once I get going I can't stop.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I am so sick and tired of this thing I'm translating! Why the hell is it 29 pages in tiny font of the same blather? He's spent the last ten pages just retreading the same goddamn points over and over! I get that this religious nut is a deeply "unpleasant" and stupid religious nut. I think if I received this letter I'd have stopped being angry at getting this overhauling, past being sympathetic about his feelings, and into exasperated by his loquaciousness, even bored. Same points, very similar examples, repetitive language, understatements, buffers and filler words. He could have gotten it over with in ten pages, I think, if he would have just... Ugh, I can hardly get any work done on this because I'm so tired of it. Are there any new points forthcoming yet or are we going to run around in circles about how some stupid woman didn't like a kid's inquiring mind? A subject we have spent most of ten pages on already? Oh, maybe we're going back to what the other part of those ten pages were about, a drunkard with some very unhealthy coping mechanisms for his debilitating inferiority/superiority complex that included asking bad questions to outsmart a twelve year old boy and staring creepily at his daughter.
I don't really think it needs to be painted out much more than that, much less over ten (or twenty-freaking-nine!) pages in much too small font for no good reason.

Okay, I'll calm down now. I'm getting paid for this, it's limited how much I'm allowed to complain.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
This is where you can vent, Rel - I've been in similar situations when I was proofreading papers or transcribing. I feel your pain.

Princess Bride 30th anniversary screening in theaters - Ithaca mall has one! I will see it there! I will! I will! Now I just have to convince my crowd-anxious husband to go with me. Or not. I'll go myself if I must. At least I let my co-worker know about it. I've temporarily revoked his nerd-card because he's never seen it. Nor has he seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Luckily, that one is being screened at our local library next month.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, and I've finally started watching Stranger Things. I'm loving the homages to 80s movies - I've seen elements of Goonies, ET, Lost Boys, Poltergeist, Stephen King, Nightmare on Elm Street, John Carpenter... all the greats :)

- - - Updated - - -

And the first couple episodes of Rick and Morty. Already hooked.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I got 2300 words in, and today 2200. My goal is 2000 a day, so even that little bit above minimum makes me happy :D

I had to write over my 2k goal last night because I found out little sister had written 2400. Reached 2600 just before midnight. Nothing like some healthy competition! ;)
(Kidding, we were just sitting up late talking and I was plunking away at a fun scene.)

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
I've been hit by a storm as I was up in the Fairy Glen - it was glorious :) Here's the photo I took before it hit.

So the results of my BookBub ad so far: it ran on Sunday in the YA/Teen category, which isn't quite as robust as some of the others, but it estimated about 900 in sales for a 99cent book. I have gotten 860, so I'm perfectly fine with that. My highest rank achieved in the US Paid Kindle list was 348. I got as high as #3 in my genre lists (the top two were well-established USA Today bestsellers with an impressive backlist). I did reach #1 in two genre categories in the Amazon Canada category, so got a screenshot of my Bestseller Tag when it showed up :D

I recognise those black-as-night clouds only too well :) Great photo and a wonderful place.

Princess Bride and Stranger Things? You have some good watching ahead of you!

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Good luck, Alan!

Still waking up, Cantina. I did manage to do words yesterday, but this just seems to be one of the slowest writing months I've had since Apri when I first started recording my monthly word counts. I don't even know if I'll reach 10k words total for the month unless I really up my output for the next 5 days. Anyway, writing is the main activity for the day since, as far as I know,I'm not going out anywhere. I should probably try to get some product photos this afternoon, too.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I recognise those black-as-night clouds only too well :) Great photo and a wonderful place.

Princess Bride and Stranger Things? You have some good watching ahead of you!

I've seen Princess Bride so many times I can probably recite the bloody thing, but seeing it in the theater is a special experience. :D

News! News! News! My first book in The Druid's Brooch series will be in print, hopefully TOMORROW! WOOHOO!! I've waited a while for this, and originally my publisher was hoping for a spring release... then summer... now it's TOMORROW! (if all goes well). I'll finally have print copies to sign and sell at art shows, Celtic festivals, and book signings!!!

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
This is where you can vent, Rel - I've been in similar situations when I was proofreading papers or transcribing. I feel your pain.
Thanks. :Hug2: I feel a little bad venting like that, though, at a somewhat personal account of an emotionally abusive childhood. It's just really badly written.

Princess Bride 30th anniversary screening in theaters - Ithaca mall has one! I will see it there! I will! I will! Now I just have to convince my crowd-anxious husband to go with me. Or not. I'll go myself if I must. At least I let my co-worker know about it. I've temporarily revoked his nerd-card because he's never seen it. Nor has he seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Luckily, that one is being screened at our local library next month.
I saw Princess Bride a few years ago. On the whole I liked it better than the book as it diminished on the stupid framing device. The heck was that framing even necessary for? Good book, stupid framework, but good book otherwise. I think I've seen bits and pieces of the Holy Grail, but it might just as well have been some other Monty Python movie. Probably not, actually.

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
*walks in tossing glitter smibble bombs around the Cantina*

I am in possession of the proof copy of Harbinger of Darkness. Arrived last night. Looks good on first inspection - need to give it one last going over to make sure the printer (yeah- it's always the printer's fault) didn't get any pages out of order or anything weird like that.

Book goes on sale 03 Oct 2017.

*glitter fountain goes off behind proud author*

Last edited:

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
We're already putting a group together to go see the Princess Bride in the theater.

Although I met Inigo and Fezzick long before I ever saw the movie - my first D&D dungeon master had them in his dungeon as wandering monsters. *Note to characters - stay on their good side*