zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
She polishes the last of the glasses, hung in neat little rows over the bar. Checks the bottles lined up behind her, hundreds of them in all shapes, sizes, and planet of origin. Makes sure the taps are fresh and ready to go, and that the blood warmer is set to body temperature (cuz those pesky Vamps hate cold blood).

She looks at the clocks on the wall, set to every time zone (plus a few of the most well-traveled planets and alternate realities). Almost time to open.

Plenty of places to sit. Plenty of food to share. She hopes that all writers of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Spec Fic (plus anyone else who happens to swing by from time to time) feels at home. Able to let their hair down, talk about their day, and just chill. Support each other.

A bell dings. Opening Time!

Welcome, welcome! Come on in! Make yourself at home! The "must pertain to the writing of SF/F" rule doesn't apply here. The Cantina a community space for folks to be folks. Chat about your WIP, that awful day at work or other woe that doesn't quite merit a trip to Conquering Challenges, or how much you want a light saber of your very own. We may occasionally merge OT threads here, but for the most part, it's a safe haven for Off Topic conversation as long as it remains a respectful and welcoming place for all folks of all ages.

*sets down a glass in front of you*

What'll it be?

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I kept trying to reply to the old one, realized there were no buttons, and then thought I got banned. :greenie This is a much better answer.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Naw, we just have to roll the thread over to a new one periodically when it gets too big.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
A thread from 2014?? Like on the cooking shows, "Here's something I prepared earlier" ? ;)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, and I'd only just gotten used to arriving at the old one after an absence of a few years. Things move fast around here.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, we usually just copy over the first post to start the new thread. :)

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Zanz! :eek: My poor little heart, you scared me! :'O I thunk the Cantina had finally been brought low by The Man. My first Cantina, complete, what will I do with myself now!? :Shrug:

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, maybe I should find myself a new avatar to go with the new Cantina.

And not disappear for weeks at a time.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Oh good! Maggie was wrong. The door is unlocked so I can leave now."

Ambrosia walked through the exit of The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks only to find a shiny new bar in front of her. The sign above the bar read The Great Ganymede Grill & Bar. Turning back to the doorway, a blank wall stood where the portal had been.

"I see Maggie was right after all. Hotel California."

Ambrosia:

Voice activated. Yes, those devices do exist.

Little Anonymous Me:
Ma'am, I don't know who you're trying to fool, but the future is not now.

;)

*Looks around very futuristic bar and grill she is standing in.*

Isn't it?

Digital Voice Recorder with voice activation

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
"Oh good! Maggie was wrong. The door is unlocked so I can leave now."

Ambrosia walked through the exit of The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks only to find a shiny new bar in front of her. The sign above the bar read The Great Ganymede Grill & Bar. Turning back to the doorway, a blank wall stood where the portal had been.

"I see Maggie was right after all. Hotel California."

I've been reading a lot of [Fill-in-the-blank] Gothic/subtle horror prompts today, and this feels so apt XD "You leave the bar, walking into the bar. The name is different, but the faces are all the same. You turn around, but there's no door. There was never a door. Why would you ever want to leave?"

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, this is fun.

It's shaping up to be a wonderful summer in Seattle, after a cool, damp (but thankfully not stormy) spring. Not too hot this year but lots of clear, sunny days. Contemplating camping at Mt. Rainier. (I've only done so once before in the half-lifetime I've lived here.) That time, it was so cold at night I couldn't get any sleep and the long hike the next day was tortuous because of that.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Cantina change! Woohoo! Dosey doe!

Yes, the two nitpickers must be related. Similarly idiotic stuff. And she spent an hour verbally figuring out if a hybrid loan was taxable and if that tax affected the AOCI balance... and whatever. My eyes glazed over and I nodded at appropriate times to let her work out whatever she was working out. I knew that any argument or input from me would be wasted, so I smiled and nodded. Eventually my boss noticed she'd cornered me so long and came to rescue me "Christy, I have a project I need your help on..." She hates that person more than I do.

Last night was authors' group, yay! But I found out the only other person more published than I am in the group is a bit of a bore. He just talks about the projects he's gotten, but does so in high-publishing jargon, as if everyone knows the innards of the industry intimately, which we don't. "I had that going to Diamond Distributors, because you know there's no choice, and..." huh? I had to stop him and ask. "Oh, you must not know comic books." Not particularly, no. "Well, there's only one distributor for comic books at all now, Diamond." Ah, I see. So easily could have reworded that to be clear rather than self-important. Ah well.

Reactions: FyresongPublishing

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
He just talks about the projects he's gotten, but does so in high-publishing jargon, as if everyone knows the innards of the industry intimately, which we don't. "I had that going to Diamond Distributors, because you know there's no choice, and..." huh? I had to stop him and ask. "Oh, you must not know comic books." Not particularly, no. "Well, there's only one distributor for comic books at all now, Diamond." Ah, I see. So easily could have reworded that to be clear rather than self-important. Ah well.

Oh. Name dropping Diamond in a way that requires condescending explanation... sounds like a bad scene all around. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was originally a marginalized nerd that's made good, and is just being a little petty about his success, but yeah... not classy.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i don't think i've ever seen a thread hit 20k before. congrats to y'all! have a round on me!

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Oh. Name dropping Diamond in a way that requires condescending explanation... sounds like a bad scene all around. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was originally a marginalized nerd that's made good, and is just being a little petty about his success, but yeah... not classy.

Yes, that's him to a T. He has edited magazines, collaborated with many other writers, is friends with some big namers, has about 40 books published, and has been writing for 20 years. In fact, he may ACTUALLY believe that everyone else knows all the gory details about the publishing industry. He may be assuming that, because I'm published, I know all this as well, even though I've told him I've got ONE small press publisher I've ever dealt with, and that she basically held my hand through the whole process. On the other hand, he 'casually mentions' the fact that Lawrence Fishburne's company has optioned a story of his WAY too many times for it to be an afterthought. This is his webpage.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i don't think i've ever seen a thread hit 20k before. congrats to y'all! have a round on me!

The castle (Royalty for a Week) where I spend an inordinate amount of time is currently on it's 4th volume and is sitting at 23,222 posts. So the 5th volume can't be far away.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
The castle (Royalty for a Week) where I spend an inordinate amount of time is currently on it's 4th volume and is sitting at 23,222 posts. So the 5th volume can't be far away.

Obsessive Rep Checkers just hit 25k a few weeks ago and got booted over to a sixth thread. I don't even remember what number Cantina this is, but probably...six or seven?