The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Editor is now God.

Editor has always been God.

... Though more of a, point out where you've gone off the rails, nudge you back on course, beneficent god than a hurl thunderbolts and DIE DIE DIE kind of god.

Unless you keep abusing your adverbs and commas. Then it's thunderbolts and lightning.

Very very frightening.

I apologize for nothing.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
You just described my entire junior high social life. With the addition of more Coke and D20.

:roll:

Society: It's terrible that extended families have been torn apart and don't live together and care for each other any more!

Also society: Why do you still live with your parents you lazy freeloader?!

it's such a catch-22. if you're distant from your family, people think you're ungrateful. if you're close, they think you need to grow up :Soapbox: I think there's very little you can do that you won't get insulted for

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
it's such a catch-22. if you're distant from your family, people think you're ungrateful. if you're close, they think you need to grow up :Soapbox: I think there's very little you can do that you won't get insulted for

I saw a great tweet once that brilliantly summarized another millennial catch-22: We told them they had to go to college so they wouldn't end up with a job flipping burgers; then after college we condemned them for not wanting to get jobs flipping burgers.

On the other end of the scale, I just saw an article about how Silicon Valley companies want "digital natives" because they think they'll know technology better. I suppose they also plan on firing/replacing those "digital natives" after five years when the tech changes again and some of them haven't learned how to keep up yet. Enabling ageism is guaranteed to bite you in the ass real hard someday unless you're immortal (spoiler: you aren't).

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Amen!

I'll always remember fondly how the last person to hint at maybe it's time Froggy moved out at my mom, got my mom's rather distraught reply: 'Don't give her any ideas!' It's nice to be appreciated.
FWIW, from the parent perspective, I had a conversation much like this with my eldest kid the other night, who was concerned about being able to afford her own place after she finishes college while trying to get an art career off the ground & paying back student loans. I told her I have no problem with her staying here if she needs/wants to, and I genuinely don't. It's hard enough to get your feet under yourself when you've picked a more standard career path as it is, and it would break my heart if she gave up on art just because of that uncertainty.
This^ is how my parents are as well, and I appreciate it greatly. :)

Society: It's terrible that extended families have been torn apart and don't live together and care for each other any more!

Also society: Why do you still live with your parents you lazy freeloader?!
I KNOW RIGHT?!? It makes me feel better knowing y'all understand.:Hug2: Cantinites ROCK!:e2headban:Guitar:

Heh, that's a cool thing, I never knew that existed. I never dared to crochet clothing before just because I never know if I'm not crocheting too tightly. Most be something to remember.
Yup, gauge swatches are essential for items that have to fit a certain way. Most patterns will give you instructions for how to do a swatch and what the measurements for it should be. In the case of this sweater the swatch was square 9 rows/4 inches tall and 16 stitches/4 inches wide, following the stitch instructions the pattern gave me. I personally tend to crochet too loosely and had to go down a hook size to get the correct gauge for that one.

Some patterns, like scarves, are not gauge critical, in which case the pattern will tell you so at the beginning. Most of the time they're correct, but every now and then you'll come across a designer who apparently thought the pattern was not gauge critical, but also crocheted much tighter/looser than you and you end up with a mini scarf instead of a full sized one, or a super-sized scarf instead of a normal one. That happened to me with a hat recently. Pattern said "gauge is not critical", but instead of the normal-sized beret I wanted, it ended up being the size of one of those giant dreadlock hats. :p I unraveled* the whole thing and using a different pattern that gave me a gauge to follow and it turned out the right size.

*Fun fact: Unraveling/ripping out stitches is often called "frogging" because "rip it" sounds like "ribbit". ;)

I learned the hard way while improvising a felted bag pattern that knitting shrinks more vertically than horizontally. So you can't just knit something and plan for it to shrink proportionally. What knitting stitch you use probably affects that, too.
This is why I don't intentionally felt things either, and why I admire those who are good at it, like Cobalt Jade. ;)

Re: shrinking/felting things accidentally, my mom said that my grandaddy had a wool fishing hat once, but Grandmommy didn't know it wasn't supposed to be machine washed/dried and tossed it in the wash one day because it was getting icky. It came out so small they could have put it on a cat. Grandaddy wasn't mad, though, and just set it on top of his head and laughed. :p

Morning, Cantina. The new Etsy listing featuring the cowl that is now dry and no longer smells like a sheep has been posted. I'm glad I washed it even if it did take a long time to dry (and smelled funky in the process :p), because it's MUCH softer now and will be more comfortable for the wearer. I didn't get a lot of writing done yesterday because my mom had an eye doctor appointment and we ended up being out of the house for most of the rest of the day, so I better shut down the internet and make up for lost time.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, a new bookstore has opened up in the shopping centre 5 minutes by train from me. There used to be a bookstore in that centre, but it closed, what, 7 or 8 years ago? Since then, the closest has been a 30-minute train ride away (plus lots of walking), or else an hour away in the city (and slightly less walking, but a better selection). So yeah - it's good that there's a local one again.

I went in there today (unexpectedly, as it was the usual family day stuff until nanna decided she needed stuff from the shops, and hey - new bookstore!) and I must say, I'm pretty impressed with their opening selection. Not as many books as the city store (not even close), but I saw in about 2 minutes of browsing:

The Necronomicon by Lovecraft
Unfinished Tales by Tolkien
Inferno by Dante, in the original Italian as well as the English translation

So yes. Quite a nice few finds there. I didn't buy any of them, however, as none of them were on opening-weekend sale prices and I'm a little light on cash at the moment, anyway. But there's a good chance I'll be stalking those 3 books (and probably some others) for the next few weeks until they wind up going on sale. :) And being so close by train (though still with a long walk), yeah.

Eilyfe

Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow my self-imposed writing hiatus of one week is coming to an end. It should've been an easy weak; instead, however, as my brain unwound from writing stress, it clamored for more -- because that his how my lovable fool brain works. Now that I haven't given it any point to focus on, there are just so many ideas it leaps between.

I guess the idea that comes out the victor after this battle royale is the one I'll stick with and write out.

In other news, I've ordered Dorothy Hartley's Water and Lost Country Life -- the books are due to arrive in November. I have high hopes for them regarding their research potential.

Last edited:

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Things that have occurred in this Bunny's life recently:

-First and foremost, PUPPEH! lands in my home this Thursday, and there is so much to do and ahhhhhhhhHH! :D

-Second and also foremost, MY FIRST REJECTION LETTER ARRIVED!!! :D It was a form rejection, because of course it was, I'm new and unheard-of and the story: "I Want to Hold Your Hand, Here at the End of the World" was kinda odd. In the best possible way, though. (Never you fear I would write a story not odd, or odd in a bad way.) Now to update the Grinder and prepare for the next sub. :)

-Vampire LARP last night, my dudes! Like a "Vampire: The Masquerade" LARP! It was supes mega fun, I didn't notice five/six hours go by, so I was clearly enjoying myself. I played as a Toreador Clan new vampire named Timmy Christoph who was very new and had no backstory. He was "exploring" my hometown (which was made bigger in-game for the sake for the LARP) and didn't know from whence he came. All Timmy ever wanted in his afterlife was Pow-Pow gunsies. :evil So far, no luck. (Also I got home at 2am, so I was definitely enjoying myself if I managed to stay awake that long.)

-NaNo fast approaches, and with its imminent arrival, all hope of finishing my novel before the SS-SFF-SS fades like dew in the sun -- where the sun is my anxiety and the dew is my hope... :S

That's basically everything I wanted to tell y'all about. :)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
-Vampire LARP last night, my dudes! Like a "Vampire: The Masquerade" LARP! It was supes mega fun, I didn't notice five/six hours go by, so I was clearly enjoying myself. I played as a Toreador Clan new vampire named Timmy Christoph who was very new and had no backstory. He was "exploring" my hometown (which was made bigger in-game for the sake for the LARP) and didn't know from whence he came. All Timmy ever wanted in his afterlife was Pow-Pow gunsies. :evil So far, no luck. (Also I got home at 2am, so I was definitely enjoying myself if I managed to stay awake that long.)

Toreader represent. I've always liked that clan, although I also have a soft spot for the Malkavians. They got some pretty interesting stuff going on thanks to that whole lunacy thing.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I wrote 606 words yesterday and didn't even realize I'd done that much! That's the best I've done all month, which, on one hand is a little frustrating because I've been wanting to write SO much faster, but this section of the story has just not been wanting to happen at the pace I would prefer. Anyway, maybe this means things will flow more easily now? I'm off to give it a try!

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Dammy:
1) yay puppy!
2) first rejection is a step to first acceptance! you got this :D
3) I've always wanted to LARP! glad you had fun

finally got a good idea for my first nano story (did I say that already here? I can't remember ><)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote 606 words yesterday and didn't even realize I'd done that much! That's the best I've done all month, which, on one hand is a little frustrating because I've been wanting to write SO much faster, but this section of the story has just not been wanting to happen at the pace I would prefer. Anyway, maybe this means things will flow more easily now? I'm off to give it a try!

There can definitely be an ebb and flow to a book. I was also ebbing for most of October, but I think I've hit that flow period as well right now.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've spent a few hours today playing Pokemon Omega Ruby. It's still my first playthrough, started about a year and a bit ago. Back then, I logged about 40 hours in 1 week, reached a point where I wasn't sure where I needed to go, and then resumed being an adult and worked on my honours thesis. Now my saved game thingy tells me I'm up to 44 hours, and I've figured out where I needed to go - and went there, and continued the storyline for 3 or 4 sections.

So yes. Pokemon gaming has occurred. :) I've still only got 6 of 8 gym badges, and less than 100 Pokemon caught, but I'm getting there.

I'm currently thinking I'll let myself game for a week or so, adulting be damned, until NaNo starts, at which point I will hopefully start writing again, after about a year with no words. If I still can't commit to NaNo, then I'll continue to game, presumably. And honestly, that sounds more pleasurable at the moment. If only I didn't have money concerns! *sigh* Because I don't have much money coming in, and am not in my ideal living situation, I find myself being very much concerned about trying to find a source of income - which is difficult, obviously, in this decade, with my qualifications. So yeah - losing myself in gaming is a double-edged sword. On the positive side, it's a welcome distraction. On the negative side, it doesn't really help me fix my financial situation.

*sigh*

*goes back to gaming anyway, because screw you money*

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Cliff: careful. I have been in the "lose yourself in games because I can't deal with reality right now" trap way too much. It can be ok for short periods but it can also latch into your brain's reward systems and be difficult to get unstuck. Maybe dedicate time to both the game and the stuff that sucks.

Also, have one of these. My own situation is not entirely dissimilar.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Oooh! I'm finally up to the final episode of season 1 of original Star Trek! It's only taken me, what, 3.5 months or something. :tongue After I'm done with this episode, I think I'll watch something else for a little while. I have Dead Poets Society sitting here, unwatched, and a couple other movies, if memory serves. I've seen Dead Poets Society before, but it's been so long that I really only remember one scene. Hopefully this is a movie that has stood the test of time. Unlike Breakfast Club... Ack! With BC, I remembered enjoying it back in high school, but I watched it earlier this year and thought it was just shit.

So yeah... Hopefully Dead Poets Society is as good as I remember.

I never saw BC when it first came out - when I was, in all actuality, the right age for it - so I only ever saw it a few years back when I was already firmly ensconced in adulthood. And I was... not impressed. It wasn't bad, mind you, but I didn't see what was so great about it and had to wonder if it's one of those things where you have to be in the right moment to appreciate, and then beyond that it just doesn't hold up.

I think BC is one of those movies that speak to your soul when you are young, but if you didn't see it during that horrible, confusing time in your life, the impact is much less. DPS, on the other hand, is, in my opinion, ageless and moving.

So... she's never, ever going to leave.

Or is that just my experience with student loans?

I'm 48. My student loans are about half of what they were when I graduated college ($50,000) - and I've got a pretty sweet 2.99% rate on mine.

I saw a great tweet once that brilliantly summarized another millennial catch-22: We told them they had to go to college so they wouldn't end up with a job flipping burgers; then after college we condemned them for not wanting to get jobs flipping burgers.

Or worse, they can ONLY get jobs flipping burgers, even with a Bachelors degree, because the job market is too tough. And it's hard to pay off student loans at minimum wage. I know, I've tried.

This weekend had some win: I did my first real book signing with my real-live print copies of Legacy of Hunger. I sold 10 books and met a lot of great people.

Sunday I chatted via FB with an old friend of mine. He has been working through both addiction and abuse problems. I had asked his advice in writing my current WIP, as the main character has an abuse history. He is able to help me as a sounding board for ideas, and it helps him to work on his own progress by talking through the issues. It's a win for both of us. We talk about character motivations, personal histories, and even scene blocking. He's a scholar of Shakespeare and an avid reader as well as an historian, so he's a wonderful help. A year ago, he was homeless and in a fake rehab center. We got him out of there and in the care of true friends. His progress has been rocky, but in general, in the right direction.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Hello, Cantina!

*Passes out the Monday Special* Careful, it's still fogging a bit!

I didn't write a lick this weekend, but I did some B&N browsing/shopping. Picked up some books for me and the kids. Currently barely into The Bear and the Nightingale.

Still looking forward NaNo. My plot bunnies seem to be rising from hibernation, so I can't wait to sit down with the print of my WIP and mark it up to do a little Plantsing because I've learned I'm a total Plantser and I need a hint of a direction but not too much.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
So far today, Cantina, I think I am actually in a good mood.... :)

Toreader represent. I've always liked that clan, although I also have a soft spot for the Malkavians. They got some pretty interesting stuff going on thanks to that whole lunacy thing.

Thing is though, I didn't pick Toreador, I drew it from a deck of cards representing the various clans and was all like, "ooh, what's THAT??? :D" and the ST told me and I was like, "OMG, THAT ME!!". I did ask about Malkavians, because I think being slightly demented is also a p-good fit for me. :p I barely had to do any acting at all :D

Dammy:
1) yay puppy!
2) first rejection is a step to first acceptance! you got this :D
3) I've always wanted to LARP! glad you had fun

finally got a good idea for my first nano story (did I say that already here? I can't remember ><)

I don't remember if you mentioned your NaNo story idea here yet, either! :O but congratulations, good job, g'luck, make good decisions, and be good to one another! :p I am also glad I had fun, considering I was mostly in a room full of strangers pretending to be even stranger than they already are, there was a lot of potential for angst and unhappies. Didn't really have either of those! :D

Cliff: careful. I have been in the "lose yourself in games because I can't deal with reality right now" trap way too much. It can be ok for short periods but it can also latch into your brain's reward systems and be difficult to get unstuck. Maybe dedicate time to both the game and the stuff that sucks.

Also, have one of these. My own situation is not entirely dissimilar.

^^^Word to your mother, QFT, and THIS THIS THIS THIS^^^

*Also, @supe's cute linky: D'awwwwwwww!!! :'D

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Still looking forward NaNo. My plot bunnies seem to be rising from hibernation, so I can't wait to sit down with the print of my WIP and mark it up to do a little Plantsing because I've learned I'm a total Plantser and I need a hint of a direction but not too much.

Man, you guys have so much more gumption--or whatever it is the kids are calling it these days--for that stuff than I do. Conceptually, the idea of NaNo appeals to me, but pragmatically, I know that it's not for me. I've figured out my work routine and I'm okay with it and the results I get with it. NaNo would be too disruptive for me now, and I wouldn't like the writing I get at the end of it, so I've made peace with the fact that I'm just not a 50K a month writer. I'll get there when I get there.

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
I think BC is one of those movies that speak to your soul when you are young, but if you didn't see it during that horrible, confusing time in your life, the impact is much less. DPS, on the other hand, is, in my opinion, ageless and moving.

I think the main reason that BC was such a success is because the confession sequence was ad-libbed.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I am not NaNoing this year. I have hver NaNo'ed. However, I've written 50,000 words in a month - several times - by my own willpower, so I feel little need for the external accountability to keep on track. When I'm 'in novel mode' I go go go. When I'm not, I don't. Since I've been 'in novel mode' 2-3 times a year, I don't see it as a problem. :D

I wrote 50,355 words between September 8 and October 8. I stopped for 'busy month' and am gearing up to dive back in and finish this first draft off. Then I'll likely take a break for a couple months to concentrate on editing.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Man, you guys have so much more gumption--or whatever it is the kids are calling it these days--for that stuff than I do. Conceptually, the idea of NaNo appeals to me, but pragmatically, I know that it's not for me. I've figured out my work routine and I'm okay with it and the results I get with it. NaNo would be too disruptive for me now, and I wouldn't like the writing I get at the end of it, so I've made peace with the fact that I'm just not a 50K a month writer. I'll get there when I get there.

I've never won, but I get a bunch of words and some comradery. This year, I have some expectations that perhaps I'll succeed.

I am not NaNoing this year. I have hver NaNo'ed. However, I've written 50,000 words in a month - several times - by my own willpower, so I feel little need for the external accountability to keep on track. When I'm 'in novel mode' I go go go. When I'm not, I don't. Since I've been 'in novel mode' 2-3 times a year, I don't see it as a problem. :D

I wrote 50,355 words between September 8 and October 8. I stopped for 'busy month' and am gearing up to dive back in and finish this first draft off. Then I'll likely take a break for a couple months to concentrate on editing.

I wish I could be that consistent. That's great for you though. ;)

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've always been good at project completion. I've even named it Project Completion Compulsion. I don't feel at all comfortable starting a new project until the old one is finished (or at least first draft done). It's a true physical and emotional discomfort. It's one of my more helpful neurosis.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I like juggling a bunch of different projects in various media. They're planned out in advance and happen in various stages. When I get stalled on one, another one can restart my gears. Most of mine take so long to complete in time and stages, I'd burn out taking one from start to finish without a break.

This quarter: 23 fiber art award ribbons for a local art festival, six different book art projects, some jewelry ideas, and three novella mms.

So no NaNo for me in the near future.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Welp, I wasn't expecting to be out all day today, or I would have tried harder to get some writing in this morning before we left. Oh well. I've gotten lots of reading and audiobook listening done and I'll craft this evening when we get home. Maybe having an (involuntary) day off from the words will make more happen tomorrow.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

I generally find the NaNo Camp (during the late spring and mid-summer) to be more attainable because you set your own goals. That said, I do sometimes produce a lot of words at a time and have won the regular NaNo a few times. (My very first NaNo-vel is what eventually landed y agent but it took a *lot* of revising to get there.) And remembering how to plow through words is useful (for me) periodically or I start getting too caught up in getting everything right in that first draft and then I don't write much and get unhappy about it.

ION, woke up last night with major anxiety. Got up for a couple hours and did some stuff. Went back to bed at 4, got up to start the morning routine at 6. Also realized partway through the day that I pulled part of my rotator cuff yesterday and my shoulder was not in good shape for doing things. (And also, likely contributed to poor sleep in addition to the anxiety.)

Working to finish up one novel so I can tackle another one for NaNo. And waiting on a contract for a series of things because I'd rather spend writing time working on stuff I know has a home than keep chasing what might sell. (I'll still do the latter anyway, but would be nice to, yanno, already have a publisher lined up for certain things.)

Making some chicken chili and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner.

Aggy, nomnomnom

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yum! I'm going to Aggy's house for dinner!

Even though I'm not writing anymore, my WIP continues to evolve inside my head. Can someone please invent something that converts thoughts to words? That would be amazing.