The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I loved A Little Princess! One of my childhood treasures.
It was the sweetest thing EVAH. <3 I can't believe I grew up on The Secret Garden, but neither I or my parents had ever read A Little Princess or knew what it was about. Some of my Goodreads friends recommended it, so I finally read it this year and just...YUS! A beautiful story with great lessons for both children and adults, especially in this day and age where it seems so easy for people to be petty and mean. I think my cousin's daughters are still just a tad young to appreciate it, but when they get a little older, I'm totally sending them a copy. (Cousin and my aunt are raising them right and they already love books. :))

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I read A Little Princess when I was young, but didn't get The Secret Garden until I was maybe 20? I like ALP better for some reason. Her optimism and determination seemed to me much realer than many other 'optimistic' children in books. Cue Pollyana, Anne of the Green Gables, etc.

I haven't written anything since a week ago Monday, and even though I'm 'in novel' at the moment, that's OK. I specifically gave myself permission NOT to write because it's busy time at work (still doing 12 hour days). And therefore, my OCD is not niggling me that I haven't written yet.

Dammy, give yourself permission not to write this month. Or this couple of months. See how you feel on the new year. Then if you need to, give it again. It can be renewed. And it feels SO much better not to have that 'I should be writing, and I'm a bad author for not writing now!' feeling.

We all need breaks.

Of course, I am still getting ideas. I've been emailing back and forth with my publisher about cover material for Misfortune of Vision, and just got the second round of edits on it from my editor. I've got a short story idea written down, and possibly a novella idea as well. But I've put them in my idea book and will get back to my novel when I'm less mad-crazy at work... hopefully by the end of this week.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've been in a strangely non-metal mood lately. That is, I've been playing my acoustic guitar (and crushing it, for the most part), but haven't felt the need to play around with my electric guitar and distortion pedals. It's quite a weird thing, really. Since I started playing guitar, I've always gone back to the metal genre pretty quickly. So yeah... Not a bad thing, as such. Improving on acoustic guitar is still improving on guitar in general, after all. Just odd.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to work up the courage to clean out the pond. The reeds have been getting out of hand, for years now. And so I really should dig out a bathtub full of reed-roots. It's just not very appatising to go plunge your hands into the dark, slimy depths. I'm the only one who cleans the pond and the sorry tate of it has left me rather despondent to do much cleaning which means it just is more clogged with algae and dead organic material than before. I really have to shut my brain off at moments like that to get over the eww-response.

And now the weather is very fair (thank you, surprisingly, hurrican Ophelia) and in autumn there should be less wildlife I can hurt. The thing is, the ponds are a little a victim of their own success and that is partly why they've overgrown so badly. There is always something alive in there, be it newts larvae or dragonfly larvae. You always have to be so vary careful and I never seem get anywhere worthwhile with cutting back the plants. Can't go in with a sharp knife either because of the liner. *sigh*

So, still working up courage.

Now off to clean prosthetic glue off my ears
The life of a ren fair elf is hard...

For real, lady? So, apparently, I should not only be called out by a total stranger for coming to the grocery store with my mom and not paying for her groceries with money I don't have (my mom said it made her feel like the lady thought she was too old and decrepit to pay for her own groceries), but I should also be pitied for my life not going the way *you* think it should? Oh, and we've also got to say all of this on the one day that there's a very attractive gentleman about my age right behind me hearing the whole thing? It was embarrassing no matter who heard it, but for real, lady, HOW ABOUT YOU MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS???:rant: Next time I'll either use the self checkout or at the very least look carefully and make sure I'm not going to be checked out by the lady who feels the need to embarrass her customers by prying into their business. Good grief!
Gaaah, that would have made me so mad too. Sympathies.

I live with my parents at an age people think pitiful and rather sad and I'm getting so, so tired of feeling like I have to defend myself. :rant:Keep your judgements to yourselves and shove 'em, people.

You could always find a massive video game that will take a few months to finish and lose yourself in that for a while. I'm also on the "NANOWRIMO means automatic failure for me" brigade because there's no way I can meet its deadline, so I've resigned myself to treating my novels like a coral reef. Just a little bit, everyday. Even if it's not much, if you do it everyday, one day you decide to look at the whole thing and realize you're standing on a big pile of pages. How fast you get there isn't as important as getting there at all.
I like the analogy. Coral reefs are cool, even in writing.

Unfortunately my writing-style is a volcano. Like, it lies dormant for many years with nary a rumble and then spews out tonnes of materials at the most inoportune moment but that makes good fertiliser at a later time.

Last edited:

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I've been in a strangely non-metal mood lately. That is, I've been playing my acoustic guitar (and crushing it, for the most part), but haven't felt the need to play around with my electric guitar and distortion pedals. It's quite a weird thing, really. Since I started playing guitar, I've always gone back to the metal genre pretty quickly. So yeah... Not a bad thing, as such. Improving on acoustic guitar is still improving on guitar in general, after all. Just odd.

My last guitar pick just got up and left (I haven't been to the store to get more) because it got tired of my noodling, so I've sort of been forced to grab my acoustic to practice some finger picking. Learned a song, even.

Only reason I learned a new song is because I'm getting to stressed with doing revisions/edits on the novel to try and get it ready for this contest. And now I fear it won't be ready in time (not because I can't get it done, but because it might need some more work). I have two chapters that are super weak, feel off, but I'm not sure how to fix them.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting to stressed with doing revisions/edits on the novel to try and get it ready for this contest. And now I fear it won't be ready in time (not because I can't get it done, but because it might need some more work). I have two chapters that are super weak, feel off, but I'm not sure how to fix them.

Me right now, exactly. ^^ :Hug2:

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Gaaah, that would have made me so mad too. Sympathies.

I live with my parents at an age people think pitiful and rather sad and I'm getting so, so tired of feeling like I have to defend myself. :rant:Keep your judgements to yourselves and shove 'em, people.
*nods* It's even more annoying because many of those who make the judgments seem to have this ingrained belief that if you live with your parents past x-age you must be sitting on your butt being a lazy leech or can't get a job. (The latter seemed to be the belief of this woman). Um, excuse me, why does living with your parents equal laziness, or automatically mean I can't get a job? Maybe I have a good relationship with my parents and like them, and they like me and don't want to kick me out because certain segments of society says that's just what you do. We aren't sheep or lemmings, thanks, and can live where and with whom we choose without having to ask anyone else's opinion of it. And, hello, have these people never heard of self-employment/working from home? Such is one of the benefits of living in the age of the internet. If only I hadn't forgotten my business cards, I could've ended the conversation by handing the woman my card and saying, "Y'know I'd have more income if I made more frequent sales. You want me to pay for my mom's groceries then buy some things from me. I'll even act like a professional business person and let you go through the checkout process without questioning your financial status or asking why your kids aren't paying for your order."

Morning, Cantina. I ate the wrong thing too late last night and had trouble getting to sleep due to my stomach feeling icky. Then I had some annoying stress dreams which I think were caused by some frustration I was having over writing the ending chapters of the Snow White retelling. I was also doing some thinking last night, and I'm wondering if, for the sake of pacing, I actually started my retelling too early. We'll see what happens when I get to editing, but if I move the event in the opening scene to later in the story and start in a different place, it could actually help a lot with the parts I thought, as I was writing them, were going on too long.

On the crafting side of things...*clears throat* *sings* I'm gonna sit right down and make myself a sweater./ And make believe it came from you ...me.

I made my gauge swatch last night (for those who don't craft, the gauge swatch helps me be sure that I'm not crocheting looser or tighter than the person who designed the pattern and the the sweater parts I make come out with the correct measurements). It took two tries because making it with the hook size the pattern called for resulted in it being too big in height and width, but when I went down one size it came out 100% PERFECT.:snoopy: It's been awhile since I last made a project where gauge mattered, and sometimes I've had trouble getting gauge exactly right (the swatch comes out the correct height but is too wide or vice-versa) so that was pretty exciting that I don't have to do any more tweaking and can just move on and make the sweater. This sweater is for me, not my shop, too, so I'm really looking forward to having it, especially as the fall weather is staying consistently cool now.

I'm off to do all teh werdz.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Cantina! I played pick-up hockey yesterday for an extra 15 (FIFTEEN) minutes on top of our requisite 50, but I got to skate around and that's basically the whole point of hockey for me. Skatin' and ignorin' the hatin'! ;) (Also I'm afraid to skate without full body armour on... <<). Anywho, the point is I feel slightly less poopy so far today, and I think that's a good sign.

More importantely though, I HAD A DREAM!!! :eek: and it wasn't a nightmare, really, I'm sure of it.
-->tl;dr: Don't read this if you ain't into listening to other's dreams :p

OKay, so basically, it started with me being all respectful and not-decapitated-like to this awful awful awful king at his coronation. It was a feast of some sort and I was the the staff being polite and you get the picture! Thing is, for some reason (usual dream logic) everyone went outside and gathered round this stage in the rain. I did too, I was supposed to help the choir do a pillar of awesome three people high with everyone singing and stuff. So we get out there and I lift someone up by the knees, only they're wobbly as all get out and I'm getting frustrated. Can't put 'em down though.

Everyone else in the pillar of awesome is doing just fine, and I can't see jack or diddily for the butt and robes all up in my grill. Then the king hisself (obviously, who else???) orders me to drop the choir person, which I do. He then tells me something or other mean and nasty -- that's the gist of it: 'mean and nasty' -- which amounts to like, "Use your magic to lift the choir person, is so much safer and you look dumb!" but I don't got magic and I can't say so. It's all v-embarrassing (sidenote: I just drank my coffee too quickly.)

So, that's pretty much the end of that scene, and I don't remember how I escaped the poopy king's clutches. Next, I find myself swimming through the sky between faerie and peopleland with a narrator telling me all about the "fear ones" as they like to be called (Yes, my dreams are terrible when it comes to grammar and diction). I think it was my subconscious pretending to be witty and play on "fae ones". I had made a deal with the fear ones and got all magicked up and supe's mega powerful -- swimming through the sky between worlds... Heeellloooo? -- but instead of taking revenge on the king for being a butt (my dreams iterate until I get the scene perfect btw) I swam down to this house thing with a bunch of other kids like (dream) me.

As soon as I enter it's all "Ha! the trap is sprung!" and we're all like "Whutwhut??" I don't know the other kids, but for some reason we all have a vested interest in each other's survival as we fight the mansion itself and some dragons and 'fear ones' to stay alive. At this point there was a lot of iteration and not a lot of progression in the dream, so it basically ended with me crawling through the hay hole of an attached barn (yeah, weird huh?) and getting eaten for my 'fear magicks'.

At least, that's the version I remember best from last night, there are other, foggier versions. Also, no, I do not write novels in that particular voice. Not yet at least.

Anyhow, this has been Last Night's Dreams, with moi, your host, Dammy the Dude. I'm glad I got that off my chest. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
My last guitar pick just got up and left (I haven't been to the store to get more) because it got tired of my noodling, so I've sort of been forced to grab my acoustic to practice some finger picking. Learned a song, even.

I bought a 12-pack of picks months ago, as I was going through my existing picks at a terrible rate. So far I've only gone through 3 of them, though... Not quite sure why. I'm actually playing more often than I used to, so I should, logically, be going through them quicker, not slower.

But hey, I'll take it. :)

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning Cantina. Gaaah I'm tired. Much as I like cooler weather and getting to wear sweaters and such, it really does make it a little harder to get up in the morning. Anyway, I did actually sleep better last night than the night before when I was having tummy troubles. I must have eaten something on Tuesday that didn't agree with me or had a mild 24 hour bug because my stomach was being noisy, queasy, and generally not as happy as it should be most of the day yesterday, but whatever it was seems to have passed completely, which is good.

Re writing: I feel like I'm being better about refocusing myself when I get distracted this month, and yet I'm further behind in my word count than this time last month. Just...how? How is this happening? *sigh* Well, at least they seem to be somewhat quality words. I go write more now.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
My co-worker has gotten difficult enough that I've inquired with HR if there are channels to make a complaint without the boss tracing it back to me. Since the boss is in co-worker's pocket (but I didn't let HR know that). The bottom line is she is intimidating as hell and I'm afraid to argue against her stance for fear of my job. And she's argued me OUT of a correct stance in the past... and then I get blamed for the mistake.

"Is there a channel for making anonymous or semi-anonymous feedback about a fellow employee that isn’t necessarily a reward situation? A place to share an issue that I don’t feel comfortable talking with them directly about, or to our supervisor?"

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Morning Cantina. Gaaah I'm tired. Much as I like cooler weather and getting to wear sweaters and such, it really does make it a little harder to get up in the morning. Anyway, I did actually sleep better last night than the night before when I was having tummy troubles. I must have eaten something on Tuesday that didn't agree with me or had a mild 24 hour bug because my stomach was being noisy, queasy, and generally not as happy as it should be most of the day yesterday, but whatever it was seems to have passed completely, which is good.

Re writing: I feel like I'm being better about refocusing myself when I get distracted this month, and yet I'm further behind in my word count than this time last month. Just...how? How is this happening? *sigh* Well, at least they seem to be somewhat quality words. I go write more now.

I love the cool weather, but I have noticed that it's much harder to pry myself from the warm comfy bed this week. Double edged sword and all that.

My co-worker has gotten difficult enough that I've inquired with HR if there are channels to make a complaint without the boss tracing it back to me. Since the boss is in co-worker's pocket (but I didn't let HR know that). The bottom line is she is intimidating as hell and I'm afraid to argue against her stance for fear of my job. And she's argued me OUT of a correct stance in the past... and then I get blamed for the mistake.

"Is there a channel for making anonymous or semi-anonymous feedback about a fellow employee that isn’t necessarily a reward situation? A place to share an issue that I don’t feel comfortable talking with them directly about, or to our supervisor?"

That sounds very difficult. :Hug2:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score

Good luck with that. When things in the office political, it's always such a mine field to navigate. I got fed up with it years ago and started freelancing from home. Pay is far less certain, and taxes are more complicated, BUT, I wake up when I feel like it, my commute to my office is a walk into the next room, and I have no stress at all about work or co-workers. Strangely, I actually get less of my own writing done this way, as a result of taking on more work to make up for the lack of a fixed, monthly salary, but I feel the dramatically reduced chances of a stress-related ulcer or heart attack are generally worth it.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Man, every time I sit down to write, head having just buzzed with ideas and pictures, I end up kind of looking at something I've already written and going "Okay, that thing, but like with two more lines and an emoticon."

Annnnd done. Anyone else?
Could I see it?

So, that's pretty much the end of that scene, and I don't remember how I escaped the poopy king's clutches. Next, I find myself swimming through the sky between faerie and peopleland with a narrator telling me all about the "fear ones" as they like to be called (Yes, my dreams are terrible when it comes to grammar and diction). I think it was my subconscious pretending to be witty and play on "fae ones". I had made a deal with the fear ones and got all magicked up and supe's mega powerful -- swimming through the sky between worlds... Heeellloooo? -- but instead of taking revenge on the king for being a butt (my dreams iterate until I get the scene perfect btw) I swam down to this house thing with a bunch of other kids like (dream) me.
I think you could play off the "fear ones" although of course "dread ones" makes more sense.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to work up the courage to clean out the pond. ... It's just not very appatising to go plunge your hands into the dark, slimy depths. I'm the only one who cleans the pond and the sorry tate of it has left me rather despondent to do much cleaning which means it just is more clogged with algae and dead organic material than before.

It took me a moment to realize you weren't being metaphorical.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
wrote a painful ending for a story and I still feel guilty about doing that to my character >< sometimes the only thing that works is a sad ending tho

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
wrote a painful ending for a story and I still feel guilty about doing that to my character >< sometimes the only thing that works is a sad ending tho

It happens.

I went into my current WIP knowing it would have a downer ending but it still hurt to write. No happy endings.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
It took me a moment to realize you weren't being metaphorical.
Hi Bos!:hi:

Apropos of the sheep^ visiting us, last night I hand washed a cowl I made with a wool/acrylic blend yarn in the hopes of softening it up a bit more. (In case anyone doesn't know, you should NEVER machine wash/dry something made of wool. Excess agitation of the fibers makes those wool hairs latch onto each other and felt so the item will shrink small enough to fit your dog. I mean...if you *want* it to fit your dog, that's cool too, but most people don't.:p) For the record, wool, even after being cleaned and processed into yarn, still smells like sheep when you get it wet. So...the laundry room, where the cowl is laying flat to dry, smells like we have a wet sheep stashed away in there and will continue to smell that way until the cowl is totally dry, at which point the smell seems to magically disappear. At least it's better than the one time I made my mom a sweater made of wool and the pattern required it to be wetted, stretched and pinned into place until air-dried in order to open up the lacework and give the sleeves the proper shaping. That made the ENTIRE HOUSE smell like wet sheep for about two or three days.

Morning, Cantina. I have to be focused about the wordage this morning because my mom has an eye doctor appointment at noon that we're all going to. Hopefully by the time we get home the cowl will be dry enough I can take it out for pictures.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'll have you know some of us sheep smell perfectly fine when wet, thank you very much.

I've even been (weirdly) complimented on the smell of my hair.

So there.

- - - Updated - - -

Kill 'em all, let your editor sort it out.

:e2writer: